what oil in the dashpot?

Sam C

Now, I've just cleaned up and refurbished my carbs and, to get them going, I've just stuck some WD40 in the dashpots for oil.

I expect everyone's going to tell me this is the worst thing you can possibly do but I had in the back of my mind that light oil is better than ordinary engine oil.

So: what does everyone else put in their dashpots?

The car's a GT6 - so Stromberg carbs.

Cheers

The idea is that it prevents the needle from flying up under acceleration. The thinner the oil then less resistance. 3in1 is as thin as you want to go and engine oil should be fine. Everyone has their own preference.

I'#ve no idea if K&N oil is any good for it. ;D

I think you meant 3in1 didn't you- otherwise you'de have had to decant the WD40 from the aerosol :-/.
I use engine oil. Its an easy little experiment to try the different oils, but you should make sure you let the engine get up to a good under bonnet temperature- so the oil in the carbs gets up to the usual operating temperature.

97679 wrote:
I know you have Strombergs, but for SU's Burlen Fuel Services told me to use SAE20 (engine) oil, but NOT a multigrade.  They sell this in little bottles at an extortionate price!

I know Burlen do a sae 20 oil

I think it what suites your set up

My Spitfire runs better with little or no oil

I just use a spot of 3 in 1

This discussion betrays a basic lack of understanding about what the carburettor dashpot/damper is supposed to do.
It's not black magic.

An SU or Stromberg carb is a "Constant velocity" device.   It changes the diameter of the orifice at the fuel jet, so as to maintain a constant air/fuel mixture, by allowing the piston to rise and fall in response to the changing demands of the engine, moving the needle in the jet to allow more or less fuel to escape into the changing air flow.  (NB do not confuse 'flow' with 'velocity'.)
On acceleration, the carburettor piston rises as the engine draws in more air.   But for acceleration a slightly richer mixture is desirable, so the damper/dashpot slows the rise.   Until it reaches equilibrium, the orifice is narrower, the air velocity is greater and a slight excess of fuel is drawn into the air flow, to provide the richer mixture.

The carburettor is designed so that with engine oil in the dashpot this change is optimum for the majority of drivers. If, however, you want to achieve maximum fuel economy and drive with featherweight boots on, accelerating and braking seldom and then lightly, a thinner dashpot oil will produce less enrichment on acceleration and less fuel consumption.    If you are a hot-shoe road burner then a heavier oil may suit you, but the only way is to try oils of different viscosities.   There is no 'right ' oil.

John

Greeks wrote:
I've been advised ATF too ... but when I mentioned it on here everyone thought I was barmy  :B

When will you learn?  If you switch your brain off and try a little harder to conform instead of offering contrary opinions on everything then you won't have this problem.  ;D

As for dashpot oil, I tend to use 3 in 1 as it comes in a handy squirty container.  I've tried engine oil too but I've never found the grade used to make any difference on any car.  As long as the piston is damped slightly, that seems to be enough.

I use tescos extra virgin olive oil with a hint of garlic......bollocks sorry wrong web site!

but in my dash pots I always worked on this theroy

Thin oil-faster piston/damper action hence less "riching up" (my home made word I made for my self when learning about SUs)
Thick oil-slower piston/ damper action hence more riching up when u give it a boot full

Tip-run the car with no oil in the dash pots and it soon becomes obvious what the damping action does!-(I forgot to put oil in once)

Also dont forget about the action of the spring!

Most likely you ar right on this one sorbs. The thread doesnt look knackereded (it is only one and a half thread anyway holding the damper on). Replacement might be needed. Perhaps just keep going with a small piece of duct tape.

Will try engine oil and se if it helps

Cheers
Nick

I wonder why triumph specified  engine oil in all the handbooks and manuals  even in haynes,  Guess as it was tried and tested to suit most Uk driving styles, JohnD is spot on and if it works better when filled with  cats pee then something else is not set correctly in the first place  we use the specifications in the books for plug and point gaps and tappet clearances so  why ignore the oil requirements   then there's always the  trunions  ???
             Ho Hhmmm      pete

sorbs wrote:

As for dashpot oil, I tend to use 3 in 1 as it comes in a handy squirty container.  

Hair dye comes in a nice little bottle with a pointy screw cap. Handy for filling with oil for jobs like this.

Nick B. - try wrapping some ptfe tape around the thread to bulk it out a bit?

Archived