Oil feed pipe to head

dannybaker

The external rocker feed is viewed with quite a bit of suspicion by quite a lot of people on here and elsewhere. The general consensus seems to be that as standard they flow too much oil to the rockers and may well deprive more vital parts of the engine of oil. If people use them they have tended to reduce the hole in them somewhat to restrict the oil flow.

Personally, I haven't got one because I'd rather replace the rockers at around £30 than have to replace a £700 engine because the bearings lost out on oil...

dannybaker wrote:
Does anyone know if the oil pressure is affected  if you fit the external block to head oil pipe. And if so by how much.

Yes it does reduce the pressure, I have removed my external oil feed and have increased the oil pressure reading by about 10psi when cold. The other problem I had was excess oil inside the rocker cover, which in turn overflowed out the breather pipe and into the breather bottle, there was always a stronge smell of engine oil. Others may have different views, but hope this helps you a little

johnd or one of the other seasoned racers should be able to give a more expertience based answer - but I believe the prescribed best way to do it is to fit one that has a restrictor and tap a thread into the oilway in the top of the block and fit a plug - otherwise don't bother!

Hello RT,

cold oil pressure tends to be too high anyway. It is hot oil pressure that counts. I found no difference to oil pressure with an oil feed fitted, but it did cause some exhaust smoke at idle so I eventually removed it. I feel that if there is a drop in oil pressure with it fitted then the engine itself is suspect, as the oil pump has an excess capacity to the engine's requirement.

Alec

I used to have one fitted on my 1300 engine. I then fitted an oil pressure gauge and thought the pressure a bit low. After removing the feed, the pressure increased by about 10 psi, as mentioned above by others.

The consensus of opinion seems to be that, if you must fit one, block the existing feed between block and head with a tapped and loctited grubscrew, and make a plug for the new rocker feed with 0.8mm hole in it to act as a restrictor. You would obviously need to be handy with a bit of engineering work to achieve this.

I had one fitted to my Vitesse and it too suffered from low oil pressure. Although I can't prove it, I strongly suspect that it was responsible for the increased wear found on the crank & bearings when I stripped the engine down after about 20,000 miles.

I agree with Willcoumbine entirely: I'd rather replace a rocker shaft than the bottom end of an engine.

the original design has an interupted flow controlled by a flat on the rear camshaft journal
the Triumph design ha served well for 40 years why change it,
if you  have roller rockers there is some discussion for the need of  extra lubrication,
there are no stem seals  so too much oil will give smoke from oil escaping down the inlet guides .

if you do fit one of these pipes it must have a restrictor in the union/banjo bolt or wherever
drilled to 0.5mm diameter   certainly not more than 1mm but its best in the bin    
like many things in life its one of those "Ive jus got to have one of them"   NO YOU DONT
Pete

Used to have one fitted, used to top-up the oil every 5 minutes, used to blow blue smoke, used to keep plastering the rear valance with oil.

Removed one, hardly have to top-up the oil, don't blow blue smoke, don't have a black rear valance any more.

So far as I can tell the Triumph SC engine didn't have a reputation for killing rocker shafts when in production?

Mj17 wrote:

So far as I can tell the Triumph SC engine didn't have a reputation for killing rocker shafts when in production?

No, but they did kill the poor quality replacement ones, so the external oil feed was invented to provide a solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed.

I think!

Cheers

Colin

danny,
Wait a moment while I fetch my bell, book and candle.
Prepare to be exorcised, for you are possessed by the Spawn of the Devil!

Just think a moment.  If adding that external feed to the head reduces the oil pressure, then it must have exceeded the ability of the oil pump to provide enough oil to keep the pressure where it was.  And where is all that oil going?  Up to the the rocker shaft.
And where is the oil really needed? Yes, in the crank.  So, you are starving the crank of an oil supply by shoving an excess of undeed oil into the rocker cover.

There may be, there just maybe, a case for en external feed if you have a very peaky camshaft and/or rocker rollers, and if you do use it, it is ESSENTIAL (as pete and sparky say above) that you block up the normal supply route from the rear cam bearing and fit a restrictor in the line.    How small a restrictor?  No idea, but it has been suggested that you sould fit smaller and smaller restrictors until the oil pressure is NOT dropped , and then go one size smaller.   And that is pretty small - Andy Vowell (when he didn't know better) blocked upo the normal supply and fitted an external  line.  His restrictor is 1mm (from memory - AV? Confirm?)

The external feed is a relic of Kas Kastner's "octupus" of external lines to the main bearings of his race engines.  He didn't use a head feed, and the flow through his lines to the crank were carefully engineered.   It just happens that the way that Triumph drilled the head to provide the rocker oil feed and blocked the drilling with a threaded blanking plug allows anyone to bolt on an external head feed.  Looks spiffing - I've got a race engine, me! - but as explaijned above is an engine killer.

Bets wishes
John

The oil pressure should be ok on a  4 cyl engine,
but the oil pressure is /may well be down on a 6 cyl

I have not really noticed it,  but the oil pressure does drop with hot oil,/ giving it some stick,.
but comes back up again, when its cooled a little,  about 10 psi,.

Im sure the 4 and 6 pumps are the same, so the pump has lots of reserve capacity for the 4 , but not the six, as its feeding  two extra   journal, at three levels,.

I got one on mine, but it was cos I got the roller rockers on,

but I still reduced the  feed hole , to about 1/2 a mm,  
this was done easily, by ..soldering it up, and then drilling it oot

I also put it at the end of the block, no 6 , as this is the nearset to the feed end, and is also
away from the usuall spot  its took off,, thus allowing oil to flow to the front,.

which it has been documented, that the oil pressure , at higher revs is marginal,.

IT does increase oil consumption, , as more oil is in the rocker box , so more will get
sucked doon the valve giudes

unless ye got ..oil seals on ..   [ piper, do a spring seat/oil seal , all in one,  what i use  ]

the feed pipe, is at the rear, in pic below,.

regards Marcus

Well, I'm not going to argue whether or not it is beneficial but I have had one for the last 12000 miles on a 1500.  I did a test a while ago to see if it made a difference to the oil pressure and I could not detect any, so I left it on.  With oil temp around 90 degrees the other day it still gave 50 psi at 2000 rpm.  There is no blue smoke but I do have seals on the inlet valve stems.  If the feed makes a difference to the oil pressure then you probably have a worn rocker shaft.

JohnD wrote:
Andy Vowell (when he didn't know better) blocked upo the normal supply and fitted an external  line.  His restrictor is 1mm (from memory - AV? Confirm?)
Best wishes
John

Yes, 1mm, it was the smallest drill bit I had.

Andy

Archived