Engine "runs on" after ignition is switched off

markcro

After a run my GT6 Mk. 3 engine will run on for up to 5 seconds after I switch the ignition off. This is bad as it is very rough and it knocking. I have started to dump the clutch in gear to stop it. What is the cause of this? Or more importantly, what is the cure?
Thanks for any advice.

Fundamentally running on is caused by your engine running like a diesel, i.e. ignition is a spontanious reaction to compression and heat.  In your engine the it is likely that there is a build up of carbon in the chamber, a spot on that is getting hot enough to be your ignition source.  Usually it's a sharp edge of carbon and the good news is that often it's on the plugs.

First thing to do is look at your spark plugs and replace them if thay have significant carbon build up.  Tune the engine (ignition and carbs) based on the colour of your existing or new plugs.  If all that fails then a de-coke of the head will be needed.

Mine does this if I don't run it on Shell V-Max or some such other high octane fuel (but it likes v-max the best, like Stella it's reassuringly expensive!), I know it's running a bit rich at the moment but I'm waiting for the guy at Mini Sport in Burnley to come back off the sick so I can get it on the rolling road (he's only been off for 2 months.....), I think he was last seen tuning one of our members GT6....  :X

I and my friend that has 3 triumphs always get 98 octane here ..

I found out in the beginning he was running a bit better and had more power  :)
The garage where my spitfire was painted & co said to use shell v-power ..

Did it one time, idle was a lot higher then and the car seemed not so happy  :o

Most of the previous replies are true and helpful, but there's one thing to add.

Idle speed.

If your car idles too fast it will be massively more prone to running on. Make sure the tickover is just comfortable and not fast. Neither my M3 GT6 nor my Mk1 Vitesse suffer from run-on when the idle is right, even on 95ULG.

9716 wrote:
Most of the previous replies are true and helpful, but there's one thing to add.

Idle speed.

If your car idles too fast it will be massively more prone to running on. Make sure the tickover is just comfortable and not fast. Neither my M3 GT6 nor my Mk1 Vitesse suffer from run-on when the idle is right, even on 95ULG.

Good point. She idles fast at 1000rpm at the moment. I'll knock it back to 800rpm