Progress in fixing our RBRR steeds.

Just got my 7 out after a two month hibernation started ok but could not get the tick over below 1200 rpm other than that drove really well just had a quick look at the route I did the nc500 2years ago clock wise from Inverness the first 120 miles a lot of them on single track roads all be it with many passing places took me five hours must try and improve on that 

• Like 1

Olaf is RBRR ready now with new pads fitted , a recent tune from Mr Barker and new shoes in the rear . The flying Log is in the paint shop and is currently having sections bare metalled ready for filler and primer. All the doors are coming off one by one and will be painted all over . I’d like to use the Dolomite if possible in October as it practically knows the way round having already done five starting in 2008 . Olaf has done three . As for me I’m more knackered than both of the cars as I’ve done nine ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My mk3 Spit was all clean for its first proper outing of the year on Monday. Then some filthy weather and filthier roads up to Lincolnshire left it looking a bit sad. Torrential rain washed some of the outer muck off but the engine bay and wheel arches will need a clean when I get back home.

Good news is she's still running beautifully, the new oil cooler doesn't leak, and new double valve springs did the trick to solve a high-rpm stutter.

_20230413_212139.JPG

_20230413_212206.JPG

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PeteStupps said:

Is this after the rolling road setup? Running well..? 

Yes, I took it to Peter Burgess in Derbyshire (he supplied the head for the engine build) after it completed it's running-in miles and had an oil change. VERY VERY VERY pleased with the results. Rolling road tuned, throttle adjusted, needles changed, ignition timed up nicely. It drove home like a different car and no-longer stinks like an open bucket of petrol at idle. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Stripped down my engine, the centre main bearing was just showing a bit of copper, I've yet to mic up the crank but hopefully I caught it just in time. It needs new pistons, the ring grooves are worn so I'll treat it to a rebore while I'mat it. None of the valves are sealing properly so it will be valves faced & seats recut. None of it is a surprise, it's done nearly 100k miles & never been touched. 

Edited by Amy Wade
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Image04-04-2023at14_03.thumb.jpeg.253993432c4014125012e819efedc1ad.jpeg

Just finishing off a three year rebuild, retrimming the interior and boot.

Awaiting delivery of new hood before taking for his first MoT since 1983!

MX5 seats will hopefully help with comfort on the run.

Image09-05-2023at17_38.thumb.jpeg.ee895d307a017bfab241240514de4937.jpeg

Image09-05-2023at17.38(1).thumb.jpeg.299a1c30cfb546031b0fa63569a208ec.jpeg

• Like 1

Got the Spitfire out for a run in the sun on Sunday... the mis-fire I thought I'd previously cured was BACK! 😞 Felt totally deflated and a bit defeated. But I had a mess about in the engine bay and found #4 HT lead had an issue. The insulation boot at the plug end was too far down the HT lead... all the time it's fitted it's pushing the connector off the plug, so I guess with vibration, heat etc eventually the connector just pops off the plug. I slid the boot a bit further up the HT lead and re-connected and then did a 22 mile test run... no issues. Now I'm not counting chickens, because I thought I'd fixed this previously... but so far so good.

Test run route: Home->Oxenhope->Hebden->Home

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While my engine's at the machine shop I decided it would be a good time to do a bit of tidying up of the bulkhead, the po had slapped some black paint around instead of doing a proper job dealing with the paint issues caused by spilt brake fluid. While stripping everything off the bulkhead to do the job I've found the live feed to the coil is melted. 😕 I've now got myself a rewiring job to add to the many other jobs to be done. At least I'll be able to strip out unnecessary wires from when I converted to alternator & add some relays for the headlights etc.20230520_131852.thumb.jpg.18372702c3981d2a7bd5f2f907d184d0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finished first set of shake down runs with the rebuilt 3.9l engine. Few issues including the ignition wire inexplicably getting caught on the steering column uj and shorting (luckily when I was coming out of my garage). But getting there. And even gave 27mpg on a return run to Portsmouth!

20230603_120951.jpg

• Like 3

The OD on my PI was dropping out above 3k RPM, suspect the OD clutch was on the way out so this week I had a recon gearbox & OD fitted, both of these are working fine. Whilst in for this work, I also had a recon diff & strengthened nose cone fitted, this too was fine. I decided that, as I was having a new gearbox fitted that I would have a spare speedometer converted to electronic operation, I had done this before on my TR6 without any trouble, unfortunately this time it hasn't worked.

Having set the calibration figure for the speedo to the same as my TR6 as a reasonable baseline I took the car for a drive, on the first drive it worked ok, calibration a bit out but that was to be expected. On stopping however the speedo didn't return to 0, it stopped at 20mph, I drove off and it worked ok, increasing speed correctly but the actual speed +20mph. On next stopping the speedo stopped at 30mph, this went on until it was stopping at 110mph! There is no reset function that I can see, I called Speedy Cables who converted the speedo this morning but they don't have any technicians in on a Friday. 

I have just had the original speed cable fitted and put the mechanical speedo back, now the car is reading c.10mph high, obviously the speedo pinion isn't quite right for this car. Will try to get the electronic speedo sorted and refit it, the wiring is all still in place and the transducer taped up out the way near the OD so a quick swap.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Yeah, annoying but not a massive deal. What makes it that little bit more annoying is I think that's the pump I bought new when I built the engine a few years ago. Swapped it for one of my used "known good" spares. 

🙄🤷🏻‍♀️