Progress in fixing our RBRR steeds.

Just back from a weekend in lemans with the flying banana. Good shakedown trip. No major issues. Wipers need sorting, tracking was a bit off and an annoying vibration at 70 mph. Looks like I need new ujs at the minimum.  

Tim

IMG-20230629-WA0000.jpeg

Edited by Shynsy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

2.5 PI Saloon -

I'm having fun with getting a working Speedo, I obtained a NOS speedo and sent it to Speedy Cables for conversion to electronic operation, something I had done previously with my TR6 without any issues;

First fit - speedo worked fine until turning off, stopped at 10mph, next run stopped at 20mph, then 30mph, you get the picture, sent it back to Speedy

Second fit - speedo needle constantly oscillating, not by much but very annoying, speedo went back and Speedy reported no fault found

Third fit - speedo worked great, until I stopped the car, speedo stopped at 20mph, then 40mph, similar to first fit but with greater increment.

This speedo is on its way back to Speedy again...

So, I bought a NOS original 2.5 Speedo and fitted that:

Works great, up to 30mph, then it's wavering about, it also won't go above 80mph

I refitted the original speedo, it's great, needle is steady, reading is about 10mph out at 60, obviously not good, the wheels are 14" so a bit bigger than standard, the discrepancy should only be 3mph though. I think for RBRR I will just rely on a GPS speedo on the windscreen, it works fine.

Not content with giving me speedo trouble, the MU choke cable appears to have broken, the throttle body choke still works fine. Rather than faff about swapping both out, I have ordered parts from Martin Giles to fit his adaptor plate to the throttle body end and a secondary cable that operates the MU enrichment lever, this is part of a kit he sells for the TR6, unfortunately the full kit won't fit a saloon (we think, I will measure up & check with him)

Edited by iani
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/07/2023 at 22:14, TimW said:

Just looked at booking the Novotel Hotel. Website saying no availability?  Anyone have any idea why?

Its being used to house migrants for the foreseeable future. It was a pretty crap hotel TBH and I've never used it since a disastrous stay there when the club Triumph annual dinner was held there. The premier Inn is so much better and the hotel that most of the RBRR crews use nowadays. See the following review I posted on trip adviser for the Novatel!  https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g190726-d191485-r355394122-Novotel_Stevenage-Stevenage_Hertfordshire_England.html

On 30/07/2023 at 13:16, iani said:

2.5 PI Saloon -

I'm having fun with getting a working Speedo, I obtained a NOS speedo and sent it to Speedy Cables for conversion to electronic operation, something I had done previously with my TR6 without any issues;

First fit - speedo worked fine until turning off, stopped at 10mph, next run stopped at 20mph, then 30mph, you get the picture, sent it back to Speedy

Second fit - speedo needle constantly oscillating, not by much but very annoying, speedo went back and Speedy reported no fault found

Third fit - speedo worked great, until I stopped the car, speedo stopped at 20mph, then 40mph, similar to first fit but with greater increment.

This speedo is on its way back to Speedy again...

So, I bought a NOS original 2.5 Speedo and fitted that:

Works great, up to 30mph, then it's wavering about, it also won't go above 80mph

I refitted the original speedo, it's great, needle is steady, reading is about 10mph out at 60, obviously not good, the wheels are 14" so a bit bigger than standard, the discrepancy should only be 3mph though. I think for RBRR I will just rely on a GPS speedo on the windscreen, it works fine.

Not content with giving me speedo trouble, the MU choke cable appears to have broken, the throttle body choke still works fine. Rather than faff about swapping both out, I have ordered parts from Martin Giles to fit his adaptor plate to the throttle body end and a secondary cable that operates the MU enrichment lever, this is part of a kit he sells for the TR6, unfortunately the full kit won't fit a saloon (we think, I will measure up & check with him)

A Triumph speedo that's only 10mph out, that's about as accurate as they get unless they have been especially calibrated. My GT6 speedo reads over 85mph when the car is only doing 70, when I owned the Flying Log Dolomite it was showing 60mph when the car was actually doing over 70.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cook1e said:

Its being used to house migrants for the foreseeable future. It was a pretty crap hotel TBH and I've never used it since a disastrous stay there when the club Triumph annual dinner was held there. The premier Inn is so much better and the hotel that most of the RBRR crews use nowadays. See the following review I posted on trip adviser for the Novatel!  https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g190726-d191485-r355394122-Novotel_Stevenage-Stevenage_Hertfordshire_England.html

Thanks Andy I've since found out. Personally I think it's a great hotel and very good value for money with really large rooms. I've booked the Premier Inn Central 

On 11/08/2023 at 13:30, cook1e said:

A Triumph speedo that's only 10mph out, that's about as accurate as they get unless they have been especially calibrated. My GT6 speedo reads over 85mph when the car is only doing 70, when I owned the Flying Log Dolomite it was showing 60mph when the car was actually doing over 70.

My PI is a Mk2, 13" rims as standard but it is running on 14" Stag steel rims. The "S" cars came on 14" rims with a different speedo pinion gear, I have bought one of those and will fit it, I will then have done all that I can to get it right. Speedy Cables have returned the digital speedo again but I can't be bothered trying it, I have zero confidence that it would work.

Here is another photo of Buttercup, with hardtop fitted, which was taken @ the Border Raiders last week, our first Club Triumph event which we greatly enjoyed and met some of the RBRR diehards there! Our 'Prep' run for the RBRR and she behaved very well, as a precaution we will replace the rubber hoses with silicone as we previously had a one-year-old hose disintegrate. Also looking to add oil pressure, oil temp and volt meter gauges to be able to keep a close eye on her.

Fundraising is slow, it seems a lot harder than raising funds for the more general well-known diseases, are others finding the same?

20230810_195206477_iOS.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pete PiEst said:

Hi All,

Just about to get the Power Steering rack off of the HOF and get it refurbed at this place https://www.steering-racks.co.uk/rack-and-pinion-classic-cars/

Has any one used them or recommendations for other places ?

Better get my finger out and start the Just Giving Page..

See you at the drivers meeting !!

Cheers,

Pete

How much are they charging Pete? I have a similar rack I'd like reconditioning.

Ian

1 minute ago, Pete PiEst said:

If I remember right he said if there's nothing major wrong £215.00

The removal job didn't happen this afternoon .. Hopefully this weekend !!

Cheers

Pete

Mine is in the shed, I'm converting my Mk1 Estate to PAS & have a used rack, I think I'll have it checked over before fitting it.

I did eventually get the rack off and as I never done anything to the pump that came off too.

I dropped both bits up there and will probably collect it too, mid next week. I'll be taking the Spitfire though as I got done for the Brum ULEZ con, another £8.00 for the coffer's to be spent on ...🤔🤔

They look like a good company. Helpful, friendly & knowledgeable.

I'll let you know.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

On 12/08/2023 at 15:08, iani said:

My PI is a Mk2, 13" rims as standard but it is running on 14" Stag steel rims. The "S" cars came on 14" rims with a different speedo pinion gear, I have bought one of those and will fit it, I will then have done all that I can to get it right. Speedy Cables have returned the digital speedo again but I can't be bothered trying it, I have zero confidence that it would work.

After fitting the new "S" pinion, my speedo needle was wavering again. I decided to try the digital speedo again, I am pleased to report that I now have an accurate speedo, let's hope it keeps working like this.

• Like 1

Started to prep the car for the RBRR last weekend and this weekend.

Not too many jobs. Took her to Le Mans Classic as a shakedown where she drove without any issues. 

Did manage to break the internal door opening mechanism. So had to wind the driver’s door window down to open the door from the outside. 🤣

Fixed that last weekend, the internal linkage had popped out of its plastic connector.

The fuel gauge started to play up by either giving no reading or an incorrect one.

Fixed that yesterday by changing the voltage stabiliser.

So jobs left to do.

Change broken overdrive switch.

Fit bonnet locks as no matter how often I adjust the bonnet catches they always pop up. 😬

Sort out exhaust. The connection between the manifold down pipe and the rest of exhaust seems to be leaking, so one gets exhaust fumes in the cabin which isn’t pleasant. 
The connection is exposed underneath so can get easily knocked on sleeping policemen. 
Planning on taking it to a custom exhaust place to see what they can do.

IMG_2027.jpeg