Progress in fixing our RBRR steeds.

Well....the GT6, that I've booked in to do the RBRR, has suffered a major engine failure.  I was getting abnormal crankcase pressures and a dip in hot oil pressure.  Results of a compression test revealed 60psi on no2 cylinder and 0psi on no6 cylinder.  I've noticed a drop in performance but convinced myself it was my imagination.  Turns out not so much!

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, TimW said:

Well....the GT6, that I've booked in to do the RBRR, has suffered a major engine failure.  I was getting abnormal crankcase pressures and a dip in hot oil pressure.  Results of a compression test revealed 60psi on no2 cylinder and 0psi on no6 cylinder.  I've noticed a drop in performance but convinced myself it was my imagination.  Turns out not so much!

Both bad timing and bad luck there @TimW, hope you get it sorted!

Tim - I'll be getting the alignment checked here https://www.tyre-smart.com/ in Witham, Essex CM8 3UQ

I used them for the Spitfire they had to adjust the ramps to stop it falling through the gap 😂

I've just got the rack & pump back - needed a new cam for the pump and one tie rod for the rack as they couldn't get it in spec .. bit more dosh but seeing as the rack was last serviced about 15 + years ago and the pump has never been looked at I think it'll be money well spent.

Is you exit from Kenbworth going to be

• Sprint to the car
  • Slide across the bonnet in classic Starsky & Hutch style
  • Blast out "Dukes of Hazard" theme tune on the Fiamms
  • Wheel Spin for the next 200 miles in a cloud of smoke

I'm going to try and get my Just Giving page up and linked to the event - have failed the last couole of times !

See y'all at the drivers meeting!

Yeeee HA !

Pete

• Like 1

Where I'd been going wrong previously was trying to link it to an event and then I was searching for RBRR / Huntingtons and variations on those themes and it found nada !!

From within the main RBRR2023 Campaign - It states "Be a fundraiser"  I then selected "I'm just raising Money" and that conncted it all together 👍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Fiamms are Italian air horns as fitted to Italain exotic sports cars.

..and bright orange Dodge Chargers 

Fiamm Dixie Horn 12v

Fiamm Dixie Horn. A Musical Air horn with the Dixie melody. The dixie horns play the melody that is also used in the 80's series Dukes of Hazzard.

Product number

FIA921973 

Current lead/delivery time

3 month(s)

€ 65,00
Price per set

This product is not in stock

Quantity: 
Order

• 2 weeks later...

Thought all prep was done to the Spitfire. 

Oh boy, was I wrong. 

While getting Mintex pads fitted, discovered that one of the calipers was goosed. 

Also, I usually drive the car with the roof down but today, on my way to the garage, I put the roof up and what a racket from the diff. 

The guy who owns the garage and who I've known for years assumed that I was happy to live with it. 

Eh, no way and certainly not for the duration of the RBRR. 

A few phone calls including Dave Pearson at Canley Classics who was very helpful but didn't do diffs but gave great advice and I ended up sourcing the calipers and diff from TD Fitchetts, who gave the best prices and delivery. 

So, hopefully, by next Friday, I'll be considerably lighter in the wallet but still with my hearing intact after the Round Britain. 

Here's hoping there's no more nasty surprises. 

Jim.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, McJim said:

Thought all prep was done to the Spitfire. 

Oh boy, was I wrong. 

While getting Mintex pads fitted, discovered that one of the calipers was goosed. 

Also, I usually drive the car with the roof down but today, on my way to the garage, I put the roof up and what a racket from the diff. 

The guy who owns the garage and who I've known for years assumed that I was happy to live with it. 

Eh, no way and certainly not for the duration of the RBRR. 

A few phone calls including Dave Pearson at Canley Classics who was very helpful but didn't do diffs but gave great advice and I ended up sourcing the calipers and diff from TD Fitchetts, who gave the best prices and delivery. 

So, hopefully, by next Friday, I'll be considerably lighter in the wallet but still with my hearing intact after the Round Britain. 

Here's hoping there's no more nasty surprises. 

Jim.

I use Fitchetts for  most things, they have far more stock than their website shows, a phone call and the answer is usually yes 👍

Edited by Wendy Dawes

First time using Fitchetts and well impressed with the service over the phone.

Parts should be in the garage in Motherwell on Monday.

Never gave much thought to the noise from the back previously when I had the hood up.

I seem to remember that the Spitfire I had many moons ago when I was 21, sounded the same.

God!  That's 45 years ago!

Thought it was par for the course till today when the noise was unbearable.

Will now sleep like a babe on the RBRR when Katy's driving.

Wore ear plugs last time - can ditch them now.

Not long to go now.,

It's like "how many sleeps till Santa's here?".

Getting excited.

Jim.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McJim said:

First time using Fitchetts and well impressed with the service over the phone.

Parts should be in the garage in Motherwell on Monday.

Never gave much thought to the noise from the back previously when I had the hood up.

I seem to remember that the Spitfire I had many moons ago when I was 21, sounded the same.

God!  That's 45 years ago!

Thought it was par for the course till today when the noise was unbearable.

Will now sleep like a babe on the RBRR when Katy's driving.

Wore ear plugs last time - can ditch them now.

Not long to go now.,

It's like "how many sleeps till Santa's here?".

Getting excited.

Jim.

Andy and Tony are lovely and have been brought up with Triumphs via their late father/father in law who built the business years ago.  A wealth of knowledge there 👍 I’m lucky enough to live just 20 miles away so a 40 minute drive and I’m there 

Edited by Wendy Dawes