Delco distributor cap

GT6

I replaced the dizzy cap and rotor on the spitfire and it ran like a sack of a**holes, refitted the old and all is fine.

Are the new reproduction ones junk or was it just bad luck. Are there suppliers selling the good stuff?

Also I have a lucas dizzy  altered to spitfire spec, are quality bits available for these, as I am thinking of a points replacement kit and it could be wasted if good caps etc are not available for one of the types.

I had a problem with a repro cap several years ago where it would't seat on the distributor properly, I think it was to do with the square cut out. I binned it and used a good original second hand one i had. You can't beat the original parts if you can find them.

Just upgraded to electronic ignition so replaced plugs, HT leads and dizzy cap. I've already got a red rotor arm, the rest all from TSSC shop. Incredible improvement and no problems. Could have got it less expensive but you get what you pay for.

93 wrote:
I had a problem with a repro cap several years ago where it would't seat on the distributor properly, I think it was to do with the square cut out. I binned it and used a good original second hand one i had. You can't beat the original parts if you can find them.

Same here; exactly the same problem. It used to move causing the car to cut out usually at the most embarrassing moments. Best thing I ever did was to introduce it to the garage floor at high speed, and buy a better one.

GT6, yes, rotor from distributor doctor and I got the very expensive Aldon electronic ignition from the TSSC shop. I was concerned about poor quality reports on cheaper EI plus I have a late GT6 with a ballast wire rather than a ballast resistor so some frigging about required with cheaper EIs. TSSC are selling this as the EI for my car so I bit the bullet and bought it. No regrets!

repro caps suffer with mould cooling shrinkage and the register becomes undersized
have in desperation used a dremmel and cutting disk to grind away the excess to effect location.

delco rotors dont suffer from the dreaded rivet earthing problems of the lucas repro rotors

that why delco are not available it trouble free Red

they do suffer from lack of lubrication of the top bush , there's a felt pad which needs a squirt by hand from the base plate

all dizzy like this to be oiled , its not engine lubricated  for  lucas or delco

pete

I did have a Lucas cap on my delco (spit mk 3) unit before I converted to MegaJolt. Was quite a surprise - but didn't look like it had been modified. No issues - but can't remember the part no. though. Will go and look tonight, but might have binned it...

Interesting about the lucas caps, the old rotor I have is lucas as well, so a certain amount interchangeability exists. Would be great if you could find the part number.

The repro cap is a nice snug fit and nothing seemed amiss, next time I go for a hoon I will see if only one part is to blame.

Lucas was a major aftermarket supplier as well as providing OE parts. A lot of later Lucas branded components were identical to those supplied in the boxes of other companies, though often with a Lucas logo printed on them.
Proper Lucas OE parts tended to have the logo incorporated in the moulding,

Cheers,
Bill.