Foamy gearbox oil

KM

After a nice run to and from the RBRR drivers' meeting decided to check oil levels in diff and gearbox today. On undoing the gearbox fill plug oil started coming out quite quickly and it looks full of fine bubbles, see photo. Any ideas what is going on? Car was on the level. It has an overdrive that goes in and out nicely.

Hi Roger, no 20/50 in gearbox, using a hypoid oil EP80/90. Will be putting a lot of fresh oil back in as quite a bit came out when I removed the drive for the angle drive for the speedo. The speedo seized solid yesterday damaging the angle drive.

When the gearbox was last topped off I leave the plug out for a few minutes to let any extra drain out (and so it doesn't run down my arm as I squeeze it between the exhaust and chassis to reinsert the plug). The only way the volume of oil can grow is if some of air is mixed in it and retained. I guess this oil will rise to the top and the oil lower down in the gearbox will be more air free.

I am a bit concerned as have never seen this before.

Kevin

Checking oil levels straight after a run will produce this effect as 

a) it's hot so has expanded a bit

b) it gets an incredible thrashing inside the gear and becomes somewhat aerated, further increasing the volume.

So inevitably it will have "grown" from when you carefully topped it up to the mark cold and will overflow when the level plug is removed.

Gearbox and diff levels should be checked when cool and after the car has been stationary for a good 30 mins.

If you are changing the oil however, as with engine oil, this is best done right after a short run so the oil is warm and free flowing and any small particles of debris are still in suspension.

Nick

Is it a single rail gearbox or a three rail one?  If a single rail, the breather is (as Danny says) is a 3/8" dia black domed plastic thing. It's on the steel top plate of the gearbox which also has the switch for inhibiting overdrive selection when in 1st/2nd gear (with two green wires coming from it). The black plastic breather pulls out and comes apart by pulling the end off.  There is a 1mm square channel running up the inside of the breather which needs to be clear. It's not something you could get to through a hole cut in the tunnel cover though.

If it's a three rail box, then I don't know where the breather is, but someone else will....

Yes, that's not a single rail box.  I've never actually had a 3 rail in my possession but that has three rails so must be one!

Those things you have arrowed look more like captive/nuts/holders for detents/springs, but as I've never seen one in the flesh I can't be certain.

You need Rob or Nick or someone else who knows what they are talking about to advise. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Well I eventually found this page on another forum:

https://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,891424

which has a nice pic of where the vent hole is. Managed to get a paperclip in and bend it over to see how deeply it went in: 30mm (just over an inch in old money).

Seems like a reasonable distance to me.

I don't think a blocked vent is the problem.

And it's point B on the pic of the gearbox above.

Any other ideas?