Type 9 gearbox conversion

TimW

Hi All
i have now fitted the 2.5 lump and type 9 gearbox into the GT6.  I have bought the gearbox as a kit from a retailer known to us all.  On his web site it says that this is a bolt in conversion and retains the origonal gear stick location.  I have tried to fit the gearbox tunnel today and have found that the gear stick is some 3 inch further back than the hole in my fiberglass tunnel !!!!  Anyone have any ideas as to why? Has anyone done the same conversion? I will talk to the supplier on monday and see what he says but at the minute i'm a bit pi**ed off with the cost of the conversion and the amount of work it's taken to get the thing to fit only to find the gear stick is too close to the handbrake!!!!

Thanks to all

Regards
Tim

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

339 wrote:
Hi
The gear change has been modified.  I bought it from Jigsaw as a bolt in kit at a cost of £1500 it should just fit!!!!!!! I will be calling them on monday.watch this space

K-Ching!!
any photos of the modification?
The GT6 will need modification as it will sit further back than the spit box!
My box is un-modified and it sits just before the handbrake!

Do you have any photos of this item fitted so we can take a look at how close it is to the handbrake?

Rob

Yes I am aware that Jigsaw developed the GT6 kit with Frontline and that the kit was sent directly from frontline but i paid jigsaw for it so will direct my questions to them in the first instance.
Thanks for the comments.

Nick_Jones wrote:
Don't believe that the original gearsick position is acheivable with T9 in a GT6 - modified box or not.  Definitely isn't in a Vitesse.  

I await next episode with interest.......

Nick

I had many conversations with both suppliers before ordering and was told that the origonal position is maintained  and it does state on the jigsaw web site that the gearstick is maintaned in its origonal position.  How else will the tunnel and molded carpets fit if not??? Jigsaw have been very helpful with the supply of parts so far so i am sure they will be able to sort it out.

I had a chat with the supplier today.  he did make some valid points. I had put the engine mounting spacers (about 10mm thick) in the wrong place ie not between the rubber mount and turret.  This has now been changed and has helped move the engine and box forward a little.  Following andreGT6 pics i have measured both od gearbox and type 9 (see pics below) I have found that from front of OD box to centre of gear stick hole is about 430mm. The type 9 from front of adapter plate to gear stick hole is about 510mm This leaves a gap from vertical face gearbox tunnel to bulkhead of about 70mm with the tunnel pushed as close to the back of the gearbox as possible.  I think that the remote gear change on the type 9 will need to be 50-60mm shorter to get the tunnel to just fit.  If i mod the tunnel to cover the gearbox the tunnel will just touch the very end of the handbrake.  I don't know what else i can do so will have to chat with the supplier again tomorrow to see if we can come up with a solution.  I do think that if we can come up with a solution the type 9 will be a HUGE improvment to the triumph o/d box

Good luck, Tim. Sadly I don't think it'll be possible to get the gearstick in exactly the same position as the original box's no matter what you do, and that Jigsaw have pulled a swifty on you. I've bought an adapter from Mike Bestard - http://gt6-efi.blogspot.com/2008/09/type-9-job-done.html - he's moved his gearstick as far forward as possible and it's still 35mm rearward of the original position.

Nick

There is no doubt that the T9 will be a huge improvement over the original Triumph effort (esp non OD) in many ways.

However, for the supplier to state that the gear lever will come out in the same place is just plain wrong.  The T9 is longer, alot longer.  Although it is possible (quite straight-forward even) to shorten the remote by 65mm odd, that is only about 1/2 the shortening needed to match the original position and to go shorter still needs major re-engineering.  This was the main reason I went W58 in the Vitesse.  The situation is better in Spitfires but the lever will still come out further back (probably near the std GT6 position).

The pic below shows the moment I realised the scale of the problem......

Nick

I adapted my tunnel similar to Andre. I used a cardboard template and then cut thin steel to shape and screwed/pop rivetted it all together. It just clears the handbrake. The carpet fits in the normal way (sort of) but is a couple of inches away from the bulkhead. I have a feeling that the mounting plate may now be different to the one you have, any chance of a picture of it?

Another photo to follow.

Hi Guys
Thanks for the feedback.  i have had a chat with frontline today.  he says that he has sold "hundreds" of GT6 kits and never had a single complaint.  He did say that the gearbox tunnel needs to have the gearsick hole enlarged slightly because the gearstick is a little further back than origonal but not 70mm.  He has asked if i can measure the depth of the bell housing just to make sure that the late GT6 used the same as all the others.  I told him i thought he was clutching at straws and they were all the same but would measure it and get back to him.  This is all before i insist he comes to have a look to make sure i havn't done anything stupid.

Don
I will try and take a pic of the mounting plate for you.  Is it pos for you to take a pic of the tunnel at the bulkhead to see how good the carpet fit is?

I am not a total perfectionist but i do expect to get what i pay for and with the time and effort i am putting into this build i don't want to spoil things with things like badly fitted carpets!!!!!!!

Any further comments welcome and once again thanks for all of your advise on this and all my other posts.

I bought mine from Frontline as it was a complete package...however, there was just a small amount of 'engineering' to make me feel like I really did do it myself. I had mounting plate problems and advised Frontline of this and told them how I got round it; by copying Andre who I understand had info from Jon Wolfe???? I think they developed it further, that's why I'd like to see what is being offered now. If I did it again...knowing what I know now I would speak to Mike Bestard, who's adaptor plate looked great, and do the lot myself. The gear lever location really does need to be relocated on the Type 9 though.

The size of the Type 9 gearbox will always mean something is compromised and it just happens to be the tunnel. You may also have found that the reversing switch is a bit tight against the tunnel, also that the speedo cable has to follow a route that requires a chunk cut out of the floor. Where the carpet meets the bulkhead is so far in that I don't even think about it, it certainly can't be seen.

Once fitted and tidied up you will be pleased with it, I have a 3:63 diff and cruising at 80mph is just 3500rpm. On Frontline's instruction sheet the final words are "Have fun", I certainly did.

Hi Guys
Thanks for the feedback.  i have had a chat with frontline today.  he says that he has sold "hundreds" of GT6 kits and never had a single complaint. [/quote]

Aye, we're a patient lot, the Brits......

339 wrote:

He did say that the gearbox tunnel needs to have the gearstick hole enlarged slightly because the gearstick is a little further back than origional but not 70mm.  

Enlarged slightly....?! he's having a laugh - plenty of evidence in this thread to the contrary I'd say!

339 wrote:

He has asked if i can measure the depth of the bell housing just to make sure that the late GT6 used the same as all the others.  I told him i thought he was clutching at straws and they were all the same but would measure it and get back to him.  This is all before i insist he comes to have a look to make sure i havn't done anything stupid.

All GT6 (and Vitesse) have the same bellhousing.  It is a fact that the gearstick comes out further back, even when the gearbox remote has been shortened.  If you don't shorten it it will come out about halfway down the handbrake.....

The shortened solution is ok but it is misleading (at best) to say the tunnel doesn't need modifying.

Nick

This is a W58 in a Vitesse btw - its big but the gearstick does come out in the original position.  Unfortunately the effect is slightly spoiled in this case by my home-made short remote which meant the tunnel still needed a small mod.  There is a proper Toyota remote which would do the job more neatly but I couldn't find one at the time.

Nick