Differential ratio and oil seals

Rubce

Hi All

I have been cleaning up the diff off our Gt6. It ha a serial no. FRI1141 stamped into the casing. I believe this marks it as a 3.63:1 ratio. When I checked this by turning the input flange, it took just under 3 turns to rotate the output flange once. I am confused as I expected it to just over 3.5 turns. Am I doing something wrong?

I intend to replace the pinion and output seals. Does anybody have any advice for me regarding that task?

Thanks

Bruce

Try turning both output flanges together, and see how many turns the input does? possibly a bit more reliable?

If a 3.63 is is likely to have a collapsible spacer for setting the CWP. I believe the way to renew the seal is to count the EXACT number of turns to undo the nyloc at the front, replace the seal, and then replace the nyloc in EXACTLY the same position. If not the diff will need setting up. (by somebody who knows about diffs!)
Do not try torquing it up, the spacer will just keep collapsing.

2806 wrote:
Hi

The diff still has the castle nut and plit pin arrangement fitted on the input flange. I suppose the idea of counting the number of turns could still apply though.

Regards

Bruce

If it is castleated nut it is not 3.63. Those all had nylock and colapsable spacer the older version you have you has solid spacer on these you torque the nut up.

Laurence

3182 wrote:
Can I borrow the thread quickly and check one thing?

When replacing the front seal on a diff with collapsible spacer is the Nyloc to be reused or replaced with a new one turned the same amount of turns as the old one?

Cheers!

Old one, preferable with a drop of Loctite.

Laurence

dont try and count alone,
indent wid center punch, then count and turn till indents match.

In theory  a collapsable spacer has a cover over it, but some one who has built it up
with out knowing this, may have got a  C spacer with no cover,or wrong nut.
unless its being stipped oot, then treat as an uknown item

M