johnmosborneuk

How much force should it take? I took heed of all the warnings about using generic pulling tools and bought the pulling tool from Canleys.

I locked the half shaft in the vice, wound the nyloc hub nut back to the end of the half shaft (leaving it on the end to protect the threads and stop the hub from flying off), fitted the tool with the wheel nuts then proceeded to tighten the tools bolt with a long breaker bar but then rather that the hub releasing from the shaft I got to a point where the bolt wouldn't tighten any more or loosen off!.

I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what

As the scrapman said (well almost) tighten as much as possible with a pipe extension on the bar and strike the bolt with a LARGE hammer hard. I'd try to avoid heat if at all possible. Easier to remove with the axle in place IMHO.
Tony.

or just leave ir under compression overnight, i may pop of when youre not looking

always tap the studs out and run a flat file over the flange to make sure the puller has nor deformed the drum face , even with the dreanought puller it can still upset this face

Pete

FWIW, I recently had success (twice!) using the Churchill tool, tightening the centre bolt as far as possible and then putting my Clarke air wrench with the correct socket on the number 1 torque setting and just left it chugging over. It took about 15 minutes and the hub came off undamaged and without any drama. Only did it because I wanted to fit GT6 backplates. Always use a new nut on the shaft when you re-tighten.

Hello John,

I agree with Tony:- " strike the bolt with a LARGE hammer hard. I'd try to avoid heat if at all possible."

Personally, I wouldn't use a copper hammer as it doesn't have the same force as a decent steel hammer, I just dress the puller' screw head if it mushrooms.

Alec