strange how the postponement of the RBBR to 2021 isnt on the forum but is all over facebook?

The mail came out to some (but not all) of the entrants to say the decision has been taken to postone the event until 2021 for obvious reasons.

But there is nothing posted on the forum, the event is still in the calendar on the CT website as October 2020 and the most reliable source of RBRR information now seems to be facebook. I'm glad I'm on the Club Triumph and RBRR facebook groups otherwise I may not have realised!

Seems a sign of the times that the forum has now started to be a bit of an unused relic.

Tim et al,

Sadly what Andy is saying is correct & our current forum is dysfunctional for many reasons (And this is no way a negative comment about Keith's hard work doing what he has done).

I am aware that meetings are taking place to discuss possible alternatives, but at the current rate of progress all petrol fuelled cars will be consigned to the history books and museums before the club gets a new forum...

I closed my Facebook account many years ago due to the continuing issues over privacy & do not want to be forced to reopen it just to keep up with CT news.

Howard

Quoted from Howard-

I closed my Facebook account many years ago due to the continuing issues over privacy & do not want to be forced to reopen it just to keep up with CT news.

Howard

Like Howard I do not subscribe to Facebook, nor any other so called "social media", as I have no wish to lay myself open to hackers etc.

However, even though I cannot comment there, I do read the CT Facebook page to keep up with what's happening. 

It might be worth the committee pointing out to members that anyone can do likewise.

To be fair to Tim, the RBRR team is using the communication method they always have and stated they will use, which is personal email addresses of the main entrant. Event info being posted on the forum has always been lacking and there has never been any concerted effort to display it as "news" on the main website. 

Of course, recently it has gotten worse and, well... why join the club if it is promoting the use of a free medium anyone can register with to communicate with its "members". CT has now become something which runs a small number of great events, but has the presence of a generic local club which has to use the convenience of social media to exist between when those events are taking place. 

Quoted from ferny-

To be fair to Tim, the RBRR team is using the communication method they always have and stated they will use, which is personal email addresses of the main entrant. Event info being posted on the forum has always been lacking and there has never been any concerted effort to display it as "news" on the main website. 

Of course, recently it has gotten worse and, well... why join the club if it is promoting the use of a free medium anyone can register with to communicate with its "members". CT has now become something which runs a small number of great events, but has the presence of a generic local club which has to use the convenience of social media to exist between when those events are taking place. 

However there are at least another 1350 CT members that might like to know what is happening  with events like the RBRR, and to post something to the effect of what  the current situation is.Some members(not runners) may have had plans to view or spectate on the event .....and not realise the event had been cancelled for 2020 and the postponement details. I suppose the same applies to the 10CR    

Quoted from Velocita Rosso-
Quoted from ferny-

However there are at least another 1350 CT members that might like to know what is happening  with events like the RBRR, and to post something to the effect of what  the current situation is.Some members(not runners) may have had plans to view or spectate on the event .....and not realise the event had been cancelled for 2020 and the postponement details. I suppose the same applies to the 10CR    

Again, worth remembering that the postponement details will be in the secs notes and I assume the magazine just before the RBRR was due to take place? 

As to new forum Howard, yes, progress has been a little delayed like so much in the world. But we are getting there, and the target is still the beginning of next year (hopefully very near the beginning, but some stuff really is out of our hands)

However there are at least another 1350 CT members**** that might like to know what is happening  with events like the RBRR, and to post something to the effect of what  the current situation is.Some members(not runners) may have had plans to view or spectate on the event .....and not realise the event had been cancelled for 2020 and the postponement details. I suppose the same applies to the 10CR    

Again, worth remembering that the postponement details will be in the secs notes and I assume the magazine just before the RBRR was due to take place? 

....... and should have included  **** Plus magazine and other interested parties......that read the Forum and follow the event.(That don`t get secretary `s notes)

Quoted from Velocita Rosso-
Quoted from ferny-

I don't fully understand your point, Mr C. Other than emphasising the thought that the website should be used? Which is great, because it's not! You're not going to get the massive thread full of excitement pre-RBRR anymore because the website has been left to die and Facebook has been encouraged to replace it by club officials choosing to use it over this place. The activity has migrated to a much more convenient system which actually works. 

If anyone outside of an event wants up to date info then they'll have to read it for free on Facebook as you'll not get it anywhere else. Which I think was the original point? 

This isn't a pop at anyone specific, more of a final sigh. 

Club Triumph - The Club Which Doe... Used To.

I don't fully understand your point, Mr C. Other than emphasising the thought that the website should be used? Which is great, because it's not! You're not going to get the massive thread full of excitement pre-RBRR anymore because the website has been left to die and Facebook has been encouraged to replace it by club officials choosing to use it over this place. The activity has migrated to a much more convenient system which actually works. 

If anyone outside of an event wants up to date info then they'll have to read it for free on Facebook as you'll not get it anywhere else. Which I think was the original point? 

This isn't a pop at anyone specific, more of a final sigh. 

Club Triumph - The Club Which Doe... Used To.

The only simple point ...the website has various functions......the main point, the events diary. Surely some one should update it with information........and are obviously not. The sensitive point.....if not, just don`t bother having the Events Diary....along with all the other topics

I agree with Michael. The RBRR and 10CR (and other events, of course) belong to the club and all it's members not just those swift enough to register on the entry list. Moreover, they belong, indirectly, to potential members, indeed, given that the RBRR raises large sums of money it is a major event and should be treated as such by the club that runs it/them.

Anyone with an interest in joining CT will examine what we have to offer on the website (isn't that what we do??) and if they are interested in the big prestige events they will find information that these events are still going ahead (as at 12 Aug); makes this car club look particularly silly and if I'm right, what are out club officers doing about this?

Frankly, I don't want to be part of a Facebook motoring club or a club that has a website with misleading and completely out-of-date information. 

Quoted from thescrapman-

Perhaps the solution is to lock down the General Facebook pages to paid up club members, and the RBRR pages to confirmed entrants.

There already is a dedicated Facebook group that is only for confirmed RBRR entrants which is managed by Andy Pearce.

Jim

I am in agreement with much of what has been written here, the postponement of the RBRR should have been posted on the CT website for ALL club members to be informed about regardless of wether they are actually taking part. The RBRR and 10CR are part of the DNA of Club Triumph and any news should come via the official voice of the Club which surely is the Club's own website regardless of what people think about the 'usability' of the current site. 

It seems there are plenty of people in the club (of which I am one) who have no intention of ever using Facebook so please don't stop using the Club Website to communicate important information.

Thanks

Quoted from CharlieD-

I am in agreement with much of what has been written here, the postponement of the RBRR should have been posted on the CT website for ALL club members to be informed about regardless of wether they are actually taking part. The RBRR and 10CR are part of the DNA of Club Triumph and any news should come via the official voice of the Club which surely is the Club's own website regardless of what people think about the 'usability' of the current site. 

It seems there are plenty of people in the club (of which I am one) who have no intention of ever using Facebook so please don't stop using the Club Website to communicate important information.

Thank

👍👍

• 4 weeks later...

Seconded (thirded or whatever)

I'm another deliberate NON-user of Faceplant - indeed a very reluctant and very limited user of social media in the round - mainly for privacy and professional reasons. I do feel a lot of sympathy for Paul H's perspective - but at the same time I feel a lot of loyalty to CT having been a member intermittently since the 1990s.

On the 2018 RBRR the participants' SM group was hosted on a platform called Messenger or something like that? which neither I nor my co-driver could join, again for professional reasons. We did feel a bit disconnected from the event as a result - we became more completely disconnected when the no.3 conrod let go, mind. Later when I wanted to spectate/cheer on survivors as they passed close by home, I had to get my then GF to go on Faceplant to get up to date news on what was going on.

So I'd prefer to see better functionality on this website, which I feel also better represents the 'heart' of club and should be the first port of call for club communications. On-event communications (including interactively between participants) could perhaps better use WhatsApp which doesn't have the same security issues as the previous platform.

Quoted from Ian Perry-

Seconded (thirded or whatever)

I'm another deliberate NON-user of Faceplant - indeed a very reluctant and very limited user of social media in the round - mainly for privacy and professional reasons. I do feel a lot of sympathy for Paul H's perspective - but at the same time I feel a lot of loyalty to CT having been a member intermittently since the 1990s.

On the 2018 RBRR the participants' SM group was hosted on a platform called Messenger or something like that? which neither I nor my co-driver could join, again for professional reasons. We did feel a bit disconnected from the event as a result - we became more completely disconnected when the no.3 conrod let go, mind. Later when I wanted to spectate/cheer on survivors as they passed close by home, I had to get my then GF to go on Faceplant to get up to date news on what was going on.

So I'd prefer to see better functionality on this website, which I feel also better represents the 'heart' of club and should be the first port of call for club communications. On-event communications (including interactively between participants) could perhaps better use WhatsApp which doesn't have the same security issues as the previous platform.

I believe the proposal is to have a whatsapp group for the next event rather than the message service used previously. I think I might have read about that on the official RBRR facebook group though!

I've thought for quite a few years that there was a missed opportunity to involve the wider club in the event through online channels.

Entrants could opt in/out/ish into their progress being shared to a private members only channel. I think it would be really cool to visibly log the progress of the event and teams (who consent to be included) with interactive maps and such based on check-ins at the stops and sighting from members spectating on the route. 

Teams could use a web-app to flag if they are still running/late/taking a rest stop/need help which would be visible to other members following the event and I'm sure would be helpful to the organisers. 

With a bit of care technology that snoops on the users could probably be used (such as using OSM rather than Google for mapping) 

Same platform once established could be used in a sightly different form for the 10CR. 

I think a lot of members would love to follow the whole event if they weren't able to participate.

Something of a moot point anyway, sorry I'll stop rambling.

Sam I wondered about the same thing - it would indeed be cool to see a cluster of dots moving around the map. Would be very interesting during the event, as I often imagined we were miles behind everyone, only to be disabused of the idea at the next control. 

There would be some understandable privacy concerns, perhaps around speed limit observance...

I suggested a fully tracked system for the event in the early days of lockdown when ideas were being floated about. So it would no.longer be necessary to have manned controls as the "Master Control" would know when you had visited each location from the GPS data.

it was dismissed out of hand from various parties as not in the spirit of the event.

Perhaps they didn't want anyone watching them... :-)

Certainly no more averaging 100mph between controls......

I wouldn't advocate vehicle tracking as a replacement for the checkpoints or anything like that.

I was thinking more along the lines of some video live-streams of the "critical" controls, start, JoG and LE. Allowing those teams who opt in to participating to have their check-in at each control automatically appear on a "event/team" status on the website. Allow participants to "update status" using a couple of drop-down options on a simple web-app eg. "still running @ GPS coordinates" , "taking a break @ GPS Coordinates" and if they opt in have these updates appear as pins on an interactive map alongside their appearance at the controls.

Of course you'd have to set it up so that nobody checked in at a control prior to it opening and things like that. We don't want any potential bad behaviour of participants to reflect badly on the club when it's out of the organiser's control. But with a bit of thought I think it would be a great way for a much wider selection of the club to participate in the event in some form or other.

Even just a live list of the withdrawals and runners would be really cool (IMHO)