Had a great time last weekend doing the RBRR for the first time.

Good team, great car, good times. I can see why the event is borderline addictive - and am tempted by greater challenges (maybe try it in a less reliable car next time??) :)

The organising team clearly put in a lot of work and just for the love of it, but there are a couple of observations I'd make - please take them as encouraging and helpful rather than critical for the sake of it...

1. Driver's meeting
We made the effort to come down for the meeting, but wished we hadn't.
It was very long-winded, dull and largely uninformative. It left me wondering why anybody bothered to go if they'd ever been before.
I reckoned the 3 hours agenda could have been compressed easily to around 45 minutes of engaging and interesting content. The road book is solid and very comprehensive, but repeating it's contents out loud and at length gave no additional value. A bit of fun, team building, coffee drinking and car viewing would have been more useful.
The day wasn't helped by the frankly annoying and massively over-long charity presentation (made me feel like not raising money for them!) but a stop by stop walk through of the route was also unhelpful - what is one supposed to do with an aerial photograph of a service station?

2. Satnav files
Genius! Despite the appeal of the RBRR founder (speaking at the driver's meeting - briefly!) I didn't see a single car not using satnav, and while following the road book fills many a dull hour in the passenger seat, the person/people that put the time into compiling the satnav itineraries is due much thanks.

3. Controls and central control text messages
We tried very hard to make the controls in the allotted times, but due to a fuelling mishap (diesel!!!), we were going to be late for one of them, and texted our delayed arrival to the control text number - no response.
On arrival at the control about 40 minutes late - they'd packed up and gone home.
To get back on target time we decided to not call in at the next control (Edinburgh airport) as we couldn't get there in time, so instead diverted straight to the next control, driving hard to get back on schedule.
We later found out that Edinburgh had stayed open late to deal with many delayed cars. If we'd have known this, we'd have gone to Edinburgh and signed in.
So, couldn't this fact have been communicated via the central control text system?
Knowing changes to control open times would be VERY helpful when trying to catch up time and allow crews to get there un-hurried and safely while still gathering the signatures for the road book - less dangerous and more helpful all round.

I'd like to repeat - great event with much effort applied by many to make it work so well.
My observations are intended to help improve it for the future.

Richard

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard, I am glad you enjoyed the your first RB(R)R. It sure is addictive - take it from one who enjoyed the 2014 event more than any of his previous nineteen in the sane car! I am glad you put your head over the parapet re the Drivers' Meeting - I agree it was unnecessarily long, particularly the Macmillan representative's contribution. She should have been given 15 mins max in my opinion to hit the key points and we could have done without all the details of her Saharan adventure etc. I noticed a number of people in addition to me getting increasingly twitchy as she went on and on.

I am sorry about your mis-fuel, you are not the first to do it on this event and won't be the last I'm sure. It's easily done, particularly if a little tired. I don't know what happened to your text message re late arrival at a control. It's a pity. if the info had been passed on maybe the marshals could have stayed on a bit as I know they did elsewhere. We received helpful warning messages from central control during then run. I agree that if marshals at a particular control did intend to stay on for a longer period then if this information were communicated to teams it would be very helpful fior their planning.  However, I would hope that as responsible drivers club members would never sacrifice safety trying to reach a control within a particular window. Always remember that it is better to arrive late that not at all.

Tim

The road book is the rule of the event and has always been used by the majority of `runners`.
Sat Navs have been seen to be used, but in most cases not for the route but for the navigation of the road you are travelling on. For example, most road events that happen during the night, whether RBR or navigation rallies , are supported by Sat Nav for the driver to be aware of severe contours in the road. (without sound)
If the navigator has done his job right and listed the way points, and the navigator drops off, then normal roadside signs can be followed by the driver,with the aid of the way points and is aware of severe contours by the use of the sat nav.
Regarding advice of arrivals and control stops, the scenario can also be reversed relating advice of signing in.
We sat with spares for one/two teams and the teams were advised we had the spares. However when we were sat at the control and rang them( 1.5 hrs after point closure) to ask what time they would arrive , they advised they they had fixed the problems and were continuing on past our checkpoint.So why did they not advise of that scenario.
So crews can be just as lacking.
Doing the RBR, we did just as above, way point list,use the Road book as the bible, and sat nav for contour guidance.
The original rules of the event should be kept so as to keep the event originality
To use the analogy of Formula One , re technology and the advancement from day One to  current day Sochi, by changing technical things on the car or track to improve safety etc, RBR ,rules ,condtions, etc is something of a tradition that should be kept.          

Car 69 had a SatNav and if it was up to Gladys (Satnav lady) we would still be in Inverness.
No matter what we tried coming out of Conar Bridge the satnav tried to get us to Inverness and get us to Morrisons the quick  way.

The road book and a decent map are the main navigation aid.  (PS - don;t always follow the car in front!!!)

As for the MacMillan girl.
She was given too much time and used it accordingly.
I didn't know what they did but do now. At least I now know that the money that I have raised is going in the right direction.

Excellent event.

Roger

The Macmillan girl WAS given 15 minutes, but we were too polite to stop her when she overran.The charity made a bigger effort than some with two girls (who had travelled some distance from south of the river) present for a long time talking to people and mucking in with photographs etc at the start. There were also representative at Bude etc.

Carter bar was open half an hour longer than it should have been. The first car rolled in 2 minutes after the stop opened and the bulk came through before the 1am close time and I held it open until 1:30am. Controls being open after close time is up to the person running it. As for communication to that stop, it isn't exactly signal friendly especially in that weather.

Yes - get all that about the controls - times are times, weather is weather, volunteers are volunteers.

My point is simple - why not communicate when a control is staying open longer, especially when that is due to demand and a large scale hold up such as the A1 on Friday night? Surely a helpful suggestion?

And the driver's meeting dullness wasn't solely due to the Macmillan woman - although for someone who acts as an ambassador at large speaking to many different types of group to so spectacularly misjudge her audience is a bit surprising - the whole thing was very stretched.

Just my opinion - no feedback, no improvement.

R

I ran Tebay and we stayed open longer than we "should have done".

Well, I say we stayed open - actually it was good to see the chaps working on the Renown and see all the crews finally leave. No decision made, it just happened.  

I applaud your willingness to put forward your point of view - I can't comment about the driver's briefing though as I wasn't there.

We only found Carter bar empty on our route, and with the down pour and weather conditions being as they were I can not blame them. my hat off for all those that man these points in the wee hours of the night. All the other points we found staffed, even if we were the last ones in and by a large margin out of the allotted times.
The topic was discussed in the car and perhaps, and specially for those remote not very hospital points, a sign could be left after the opening times, for the straggles to take a picture off as proof of passage.

Dirk

1819 wrote:

And the driver's meeting dullness wasn't solely due to the Macmillan woman - although for someone who acts as an ambassador at large speaking to many different types of group to so spectacularly misjudge her audience is a bit surprising - the whole thing was very stretched.

Not quite sure in what way you think she misjudged her audience Richard, or what you think she should have said?
Like Roger above I found the background very helpful in order to try and sell the charity to potential sponsors. Yes, the Sahara crossing thing was a bit of a sidetrack, but I don't mind listening to someone who has enthusiasm for their subject. Besides, we all know that to do it properly you need a Herald. ;)
1819 wrote:

Just my opinion - no feedback, no improvement.

R

Fair enough

The trick with sat navs is to put your own POIs in along the route and go from POI to POI - and get it to demo the route before setting off -well just demo the bits where you want it to take  the arse end of no-where road instead of the fastest etc -must admit I have only used them on the last two RBRs Ive done and they are useful for looking at the road ahead,used one on the Alpine tour this year worked very well

Agree with the comments regarding the MacMillan woman. Her speech should have been about the cause and not about 'look at me and look what I've done' etc
I have to confess, If I'd known how long she was going to go on for, I would have collected my event goodies and gone for a wander round the museum.  :)

Brilliant event as usual though and I wish I were on it again this weekend. I suppose I shall have to make do with the 10CR next year until the next RBRR in 2016.  :)

Already stated elsewhere had a fantastic first time on this event but i think Richard made some pertinent observations. Its nice to get together pre event but if your travelling  any distance (like from n yorks) it takes up a whole day. I liked the rep but she went on far too long.  I'm sure the committee wont let that happen again- they were shifting on their seats too!  

Agree re checkpoints - would be easy enough to message revised closing times, surely.

Finally, i found food stops a little vague. Breakfasts fine - i know we had to wait at lands end but food was good and they did get going eventually.  However, a bit more nosh at the other stops would be welcome - conscious that could have done with another pie at morrisons, how many sarnies at conan bridge? Only a few digestives at bude?  Perhaps i'm just a greedy bastard....cant complain about pimperne welcome though!

6854 wrote:
  However, a bit more nosh at the other stops would be welcome - conscious that could have done with another pie at morrisons, how many sarnies at conan bridge? Only a few digestives at bude?  Perhaps i'm just a greedy bastard....cant complain about pimperne welcome though!

Try to absorb that this is done for charity by charitable  helpers, donating their time and their money to try and help the `runners`with cakes  and biscuits . They do it for the love of it and the need to help, and the organised food stops are arranged basically at an arranged cost.
You should always try to support your own diets needs and the arranged food stops are a bonus.

Yes, appreciate its a charitable event - like virtually every other sponsored event I have ever participated in and volunteered to help with myself on other occasions. However as a newbie i wasn't really sure what to expect re food and this didn't help.  Happy to pay a bit extra if needed but more about knowing what to expect. With all respect, deflecting constructive criticism on the basis it's done by volunteers is not helpful. Events continue to be successful because they improve over time and carefully consider any comments from the entrants.

Regards

Bob

Personally found the  food stops were pretty good. Supplemented with a few bananas (Bancroft would be proud) and apples, plus some choccy I was given at Stirling by a friend who popped in to see me (I skipped the pies) found I was never hungry. In fact we over did it at Pimperne as all good folk should.
Thoughts about LE covered elsewhere......

As to start/finish, it would be a shame to move, but if needs must then so be it. Gaydon may suit many as very central, but there is something good about starting in London. Well, outer London at least.

Blooming difficult to attempt to cover all requirements.

Basically brekkies and either late lunch (Conon Bridge) or afternoon tea (Pimperne) are arranged.

Think we need to be careful about raising the cost of the event. I am of the opinion that costs for the event should be limited, blimey £400 - £500 for fuel is high enough.

As for changing the start, this will only be done if we find that we cannot use The Plough.

DM: Its difficult, much thought was expended on this for 2014. Maybe a re-think, but then again only a few complaints...............