2017 Border Raiders August 5th and 6th

Raider

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from Pete Arnold

Whose photos?!?!?!?!  And I thought Janet was supposed to be navigating.

Seriously though, Pete, between you you've captured the varying types of road very well - well done.

Wow, the link must have worked 😀
Thanks Pete, I do like to just click at everything, (though sometimes Janet can get carried away, with the break down)   and thought if we put them all up it will be good for the ones who weren't able to make see what they missed out on 🙂
Certainly be entering next year 😉

Quoted from Pete Arnold

A small suggestion for future events - in the "preamble page" of the route instructions, please include one or two suggestions for refuelling locations.

On Saturday we filled up in Ingleton and, on Sunday, in Kirkby Stephen.  Had we not done so we might well have run out of petrol on the long sections which followed "up on t' moors".

Not a bad idea. When you do the recce. in a modern diesel-powered car that can do the whole weekend on one tank full you tend to forget about these things

Quoted from Pete Arnold

A small suggestion for future events - in the "preamble page" of the route instructions, please include one or two suggestions for refuelling locations.

On Saturday we filled up in Ingleton and, on Sunday, in Kirkby Stephen.  Had we not done so we might well have run out of petrol on the long sections which followed "up on t' moors".

With all due respect surely each driver is responsible for his own fuel!

I do believe it was known that about 150 miles per day were to be covered, so what is wrong with starting with a full tank of petrol and refiling at the end for the next day.

What next? Point out where the next fish 'n chip shop is?

respectfully
Andy

Quoted from Andy Flexney

With all due respect surely each driver is responsible for his own fuel!

I do believe it was known that about 150 miles per day were to be covered, so what is wrong with starting with a full tank of petrol and refiling at the end for the next day.

respectfully
Andy

Of course I am responsible for having enough fuel - and the route was actually nearer 170 miles each day.  

With all the low gear work, even if I'd filled my Vitesse at the petrol station just up the road from the start, I would not have risked covering that distance without another fill up.  I normally reckon to do 200 miles of "normal" motoring per tank.

Quoted from Pete Arnold

Of course I am responsible for having enough fuel - and the route was actually nearer 170 miles each day.  

With all the low gear work, even if I'd filled my Vitesse at the petrol station just up the road from the start, I would not have risked covering that distance without another fill up.  I normally reckon to do 200 miles of "normal" motoring per tank.

Even smaller tank in a Herald 1200, I bet Keith had one eye on the fuel gauge and the other checking every village for a gas station  (whistle)(whistle)(whistle)