2017 Border Raiders August 5th and 6th

Raider

Quoted from Russell
Have uploaded a few pictures to the album. Also, I tracked the 2nd day using the ViewRanger app on my phone (completely forgot about it the first day). Hopefully you can see it here :

http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/NTU4NTE0MQ==

Excellent. Yesterday I completely failed to extract a plot to show here from the mapping I used to plan the whole thing! I'll try again and see if I can get the first day as well.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from AAC567X
Apologies to everyone who was promised that a picture of their car would appear today. I was contacted by a senior committee member and asked to shrink the pictures so that they didn't do odd things to the thread. Unfortunately, when I attempt to do that the quality suffers to the point where the images are almost indecipherable. I'll keep working on it. Otherwise, if there are any G.I.M.P. experts out there who could offer tips....

Mike has a suggestion above. If you want to use G.I.M.P though you just need Image --> Scale Image in the menu and set it to probably about 25% in both dimensions. I've used that many times.

Quoted from Rubce
How did people feel about the two shorter out and back runs instead of the one long one like previous years?

Regards

Bruce

Length was the same as previous years. The Saturday overnight halt just happened to be the same place we started on Friday and finished on Sunday.

Please can "Havea Potatoman"  email me a few -on say 4 or 5 of the best pics from the ones  you uploaded to the shared site so I can use them in the next issue of CT - i need the original high res pictures that will be big enough to use in the magazine.

Please email to :

charlie.deards@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks

Quoted from CharlieD
Please can "Havea Potatoman"  email me a few -on say 4 or 5 of the best pics from the ones  you uploaded to the shared site so I can use them in the next issue of CT - i need the original high res pictures that will be big enough to use in the magazine.

Please email to :

charlie.deards@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks

Charlie You have mail

Quoted from Mik

Length was the same as previous years. The Saturday overnight halt just happened to be the same place we started on Friday and finished on Sunday.

Wasn't feeling great Saturday evening and family stuff complicated the situation. So I had to bale out  

Bruce

I quite liked the out and back in one day this year,although it was a little tainted by the breakfast chaos on Saturday which saw us walk out having waited ages.The general standard of the evening meal was 5 out of 10 at best.Improvements needed at the OST but maybe understandable after hearing the awful events with the manageress.

We really enjoy the social side of this event so trying to get as many teams in one place is a good thing.

Looking forward to next year.
Steve

Just returned home after spending 3 nights with friends west of Penrith.

Never having done this event before, Mary and I both thoroughly enjoyed it - some fantastic roads.  Even our Vitesse seemed to enjoy it as well because it's still in one piece after all that extra mileage before returning to base!

We agree that OST needs to "pull its socks up".  I understand the problems they are/have been having but refusing to serve food after 7.45pm to residents on a Sunday is disgraceful.

Has anyone any idea how a stage rally was allowed to use the same road as the Border Raiders event but in the opposite direction?  Will someone be informing the MSA?

One small criticism of the event is that we expected to receive an entry list with names, car model & reg no. so that we could identify who's who.  Without this info we were unable to vote for the best car!

Quoted from Pete Arnold
?

One small criticism of the event is that we expected to receive an entry list with names, car model & reg no. so that we could identify who's who.  Without this info we were unable to vote for the best car!

You will to appreciate Pete that there were a small few hiccups that we had to endure, due to the stand in crew that had to take over and chip in when Martin passed away.
Therefore there were some last minute things that were amiss.....otherwise a good legacy

Glad you enjoyed it Pete, there were a few things that we'll do better next year. Makes me realise just what a great job Martin did (as if I needed reminding).
Didn't realise that about the OST, not good and as for the MSA...
We'll keep Martin's legacy alive and well with the 2018 event and look forward to seeing everyone again for another raid

Chris

A bit of a late reply but many many thanks to all the organisers of this great event, as usual CT has excelled again in producing a very enjoyable weekend and must say that Janet and I will be back next year, maybe we will even  arrive back before all leave 😀
I took a few photos too and will look at linking them or putting them up on the page this weekend. 🙂
But first off tomorrow will be fitting the 2drs old dissy and 'new' dissy cap so I can return Russell's borrowed one. A special big thanks to Russell for the use of his dissy and cap, we wouldn't have been able to finish without this. 🙂 Also many thanks to Briggita and Bernd Ebert for their timing light and for timing the engine 😉 and to all the help we endured while stranded on the top of the Yorkshire Dales. 😎

Pete

Quoted from Pete Arnold

Has anyone any idea how a stage rally was allowed to use the same road as the Border Raiders event but in the opposite direction?  Will someone be informing the MSA?

I suspect that our non competitive event with less than 25 cars entered is considered small and "low impact" by MSA standards and may well be allowed to use the same roads as other events.

Personally I didn't encounter this other rally since, having started the cars at the Old Stone Trough, I took a shortcut and met up with people at Pateley Bridge. If a stage rally was on the road however they must have been on a transport section (since a stage would require road closures). I'm not entirely familiar with the rules for stage rallies but I believe that transport sections on the public highway carry certain restrictions by default, things like a low average speed for example. That would influence the MSA's decision as to other events on the same roads.

If the other event was a road rally rather than a stage rally the rules are different again. The MSA rulebook is a hefty tome!

Quoted from Mik
If a stage rally was on the road however they must have been on a transport section (since a stage would require road closures). !

A stage rally would not be competing on the public highway, well not yet. First closed road stage rally in England is due next March / April.

In Scotland / NI / IOM of course it is different. You still would not have been on the same road though!!!!

Quoted from JohnD
Its this sort of thing that  the MSAs "Rally Liaison Officers" are supposed to resolve.   Was yours contacted??
See: https://www.msauk.org/Resource-Centre/Route-Authorisation

John

We are always in contact,with the events we participate in ,and Mik our route master does an excellent job relating the procedures for this event.(in our area)
All CT events are ,where needed, conducted in accordance with the regulations

The reason that this observations of other `competitors` was brought about was, that a group of classic cars was seen adorned with plates and numbers on the side roads near Pateley Bridge.
They appeared to be mud spattered as if on an off road event and may have been in between stages...or even finished...so therefore not `speeding` around the lanes as if in a timed event
With the procedures that were authorised for our event,CT have no worries
If there was any fault in place it may have been by MSA area guys not conversing with each other, .....if there was a cross over

Nothing here that needs to be concerned about    

Quoted from Mik

A small suggestion for future events - in the "preamble page" of the route instructions, please include one or two suggestions for refuelling locations.

On Saturday we filled up in Ingleton and, on Sunday, in Kirkby Stephen.  Had we not done so we might well have run out of petrol on the long sections which followed "up on t' moors".