2017 Warwickshire Scatter - The Green Hell

Jonny-Jimbo

Hi all,

I thought I'd get an announcement out for the "The Green Hell" rally - As with it's name sake in Germany, this years rally takes in some of the best rolling Warwickshire green countryside, but not all is going to be easy. There is the usual mix of simpler, hard and a few downright cryptic questions to tax your teams navigation skills! But don't worry! As always, there are enough at the fun end of the scale to ensure everyone enjoys themselves!

The date we have lined up is Sunday July 2nd. The start location will be new again, and in the centre of the county. This is to allow for new areas to be explored, and give the teams (and organisers!) a new challenge. You will also need OS Map 151. The rally is planned on Edition C4, revised 1997, with selected revisions in 2012.

Areas are being pin-pointed and question hunting has already commenced - as usual there will be a good mix of easy pointers and some devilishly tricky high points.

There will be no picture round this year, but there will be something else to keep teams occupied during the lunch break!

The event will be run for 24 cars again, with the intention these will be filled by CT. If they are not, the event will be opened to other local motoring clubs and interested individuals.

The team bringing this event to you will change from our previous marshals but with myself at the helm as it were, AJ will be my sanity and provider of food - Expect the usual light breakfast, hot delicious home made lunch, and afternoon tea and cakes at the end. I am endeavouring to find a photographer again to document the event.

It would be great to have a full contingent of Triumphs on this event, and hopefully welcome back some teams that have come to our events before as well as some new faces.

More details to follow- including entry form and Regs.

Cheers, Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Well, unless I get more entries in soon, you might well be at the beer festival Mike! Not sure if it's because I was a bit less organised this year or what, but I'd have expected more entries by now.

History has shown that the number of downloads of the forms is double the number of entries, so I might get 7 or 8. I need 14 to run the event really.

Let's have some more entries in for this great event.

I've done the last 3 and Jon always organises a superb rally with a good mixture of clues, from mildly challenging through to nigh on impossible! If that's not enough then AJ provides wonderful food to keep us all going.

If you fancy the idea of a good days driving around some lovely countryside then please get an entry in.

P.S. It also makea a good shakedown run for the 10CR.

Have spoken to Darren, he's available so if I can juggle the date around the missus' work then another entry will be coming your way.  

Spitfire also now has an MOT - however it looks like even with us you may be well short of what you need though

Hello everyone,

We had a comps comt meeting last night, and unfortunately we came to a joint decision that this years event will be cancelled due to lack of entries. It's very unfortunate having had 5 years of constant growth and development - indeed, this years may have been the best yet! Still, it gives us time to regroup and consider where we stand with the event, be it running another treasure hunt, or some other form of event.

We needed 14 entries to break even - given last years entry of 25 cars in a 24 car event I was confident in the build up to it that we would have no issues getting a full contingent.

I will personally contact all those entries I currently have this evening to make sure everyone knows for definite.

(Moderators/Admin - if any of you read this can you add '-CANCELLED' onto the forum thread name please?)

Gutted that we can't run the event this year. Jon has put a lot of work in and it is a disappointing when we then draw a blank on entries when the dates have been known for a while. I'm guessing the change of date for the Goodwood Festival of Speed didn't help, as that was made after we'd firmed up our diary. Be good to understand if there are any other events clashes we haven't noted, that we should be aware of.

Just got your voicemail Jon, thanks for letting me know.

It's a great shame that event clashes etc. have led to a lack of entries after all of the work that you must have put in. Let's hope that next year's is back to full strength - at least you won't have to look for new clues!

I'll still have to check the clues though Richard, so it's almost as much work!! Still, it's a shame, but good in some ways as AJ is doing crazy hours at work and her sister in law is very ill too, so would be an extra stress to get the catering done.

Hopefully, back to full strength next year!

It seems it may be a good job that the event is cancelled - I was out and about in the MX5 the other day (trying to cool down with a blast through the lanes), and signs have sprung up saying that a lot of the roads that would have been used for the rally are going to be closed for resurfacing from the 26th June to the 2nd July.

That could have upset the applecart a bit!