What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

32 minutes ago, glang said:

I keep a spare unit (amazon 20quid) and just swop over the trigger head itself using the two small allen screws so timing isnt affected but proves the unit or not....

I've got Accuspark on the 13/60, since 2015, and keep a spare in the boot, good tip about just changing the trigger head.

8 minutes ago, Rosbif said:

I've got Accuspark on the 13/60, since 2015, and keep a spare in the boot, good tip about just changing the trigger head.

Yes and you can buy the cheapest unit. Mine off ebay is apparently from a Seagull outboard motor😄

It begins! Now that I've cured the mis-fire on the Spitfire and it's tuned and MOT'd ready for some test miles before the RBRR, I've turned my attention to the Dolomite. Last night I started the process of pulling the engine+gearbox out to investigate the failure on last year's 10CR. I'd forgotten what a PITA it is getting it all out - so much to faff about with. 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshire_spam said:

It begins! Now that I've cured the mis-fire on the Spitfire and it's tuned and MOT'd ready for some test miles before the RBRR, I've turned my attention to the Dolomite. Last night I started the process of pulling the engine+gearbox out to investigate the failure on last year's 10CR. I'd forgotten what a PITA it is getting it all out - so much to faff about with. 😞

🫣

A productive day today, great that the rain has stopped for a bit!

GT6: I had a set of 4.5" standard wheels powder coated this week, I think they've done a great job. I have a set of chrome hubcaps coming but my wife is telling me she prefers them as they are, I did put a Mk1 Estate hubcap on with the medallion and she didn't like that. Whilst I was fitting the wheels I detected some play in the OSF bearing, sorted that out. The next job was to fit a modified throttle pedal, I had a twin cable mount welded onto it, drilled another hole for the second cable and routed it, had to fit another lever arm to the throttle control rod for the Webers but it works great, the throttle feels much smoother, I guess the stress on the cable has been reduced.

2000 Mk1 Estate: Planning for the engine swap continues, I bought a short motor this week, it's going for machining this week. I am assembling the other parts I need, I have a rebuilt fast road head (Peter Burgess), two sets of PI kit to choose from, still deciding on pump/MU/swirlpot options. I have a 3:45 diff that I need checking over, that left the speedo. I bought a NOS Mk1 PI speedo from Fitchetts, problem is that my car is an early one, it has white dials, I sent the new speedo to Speedograph Richfield who have done a great job in printing and fitting a white faced dial, I'm very pleased with the result.

clock.jpg

twin throttle.jpg

wheels on.jpg

• Like 1

I got my metric speedo back from the restaurer and decided to fit it to replace the imperial one, The imperial one works (other than the trip) fine but I wanted a metric one plus the trip works. Fitted without too much knuckle grazing

SAM_1884.thumb.JPG.2ef4f04f7536a184eed024858f896efe.JPG

Then thought I'd carry on and replace the brake master cylinder, that too went fine until I dropped one of the washers that fit between the pedal top and brake cylinder piston. No sweat, not a special washer and chancer are it is in the footwell. Yes there it was on the mat under the brake light switch that was hanging loose. 2 jobs done 1 new one on the list - Grrrrrr....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, glang said:

Be aware that Mintex do standard pads as well which presumibly arent as good as their more expensive 1144 version. Be interesting to know which type Danny has fitted....

Lets face it... M1144>Standard Mintex>Generic Rimmers so it's likely to be an improvement whichever he's got!

Not much difference in price between Generic and Mintex standard so be surprised if theres much improvement and they may even be one and the same! M1144 (the box must say this) however are 3+ times the price and by all accounts worth it....

I have got Standard Mintex pads in my Stag and they seem fine but i do seem to get more break dust than i use to but i am not sure what the pads were that were in there... Still thinking about the M1144s but they are alot dearer and i think i will wait until the standard Mintex have worn down abit 

16 hours ago, glang said:

Be aware that Mintex do standard pads as well which presumibly arent as good as their more expensive 1144 version. Be interesting to know which type Danny has fitted....

I fitted 1144 pads. I didn't think it would make a lot of difference over standard pads. This is the best they have ever been in the 20 years I've owned the car.

Danny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Crawling around under the car last night the first signs that all is not well emerge -

• The rear gearbox mount looks like it's taken some hammer since I re-installed the engine and gearbox early last year.
  • As I undid the exhaust bracket (UKC3409) the top corner of the bracket has broken off completely
  • The underside of the box is covered in ATF even though I renewed the gaskets and seals before re-fitting the box.