Trunnionless uprights

aknight123456

Hi all,

I had the pleasure of a unplanned 3 wheel stop a while back and whilst I know a lot more about the whole set up now and I regularly oil the trunnions I can't say I have complete faith in them not to fail at some point. 

I was looking at the canley classic trunnionless kits as a upgrade but I can't really find much in the way of reviews online. Has anyone got experience with these kits? Are they worth it?

Cheers!

Hi Andy - yes, I have had similar several years ago and it was not a pleasant experience.  I had new trunnions and vertical links on my Spitfire and one of them failed coming off a roundabout at about 40mph, after being on the car for just a few months. The failure mode was a shearing of the VL  just above threaded part.  It was clear that the oiling hole that runs down from the nipple into the trunnion itself was drilled off-centre in manufacture.

I bought new trunnion-less kits from Canleys and have been very pleased with them, as have many others who have them fitted. They are almost fit and forget; just keep an eye out for any sign of corrosion and give them a quick spray of WD40 every now and again.

I don't think you will find many, if any in fact, people who do not recommend them.

Tim,

I noted your comment elsewhere about handling and possible caster issue with your GT6.  Did this appear at the same time you converted to trunnion-less?

I say this as although I've never seen comment elsewhere, when I converted the Vitesse a couple of years ago, the suspension geometry settings, toe, camber and caster were all messed up and not by a small amount either.  Toe I was expecting, the others not so much.

I've got it most of the way back to where it was now though the previously excellent turn-in is still not as good as it was.  Bit upsetting as it had taken much tweaking to get it as good as it was.

Also seemed to change the damper setting - can only imagine this is because the trunnion-less set-up has lower friction than the previous nylon bushes.

Not intended as a negative on the trunnion-less route, just a heads-up to make sure that the geometry is fully checked afterwards and adjusted as necessary.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

No, my castor issues came about when I fitted a set of re-furbished wishbones.

The trunnionless VLs were fitted about 10 years ago and as I have said have been faultless. My only concern has been as many have said that a rubber boot does not enclose the joint, but then again, with the poor rubber we have to contend with these days, the boot would have failed by now...a wash over with a light oil does the trick though. 

I have entered a autosolo for March and will be giving the front suspension a check over soon.

Quoted from Nick Jones-

Tim,

I noted your comment elsewhere about handling and possible caster issue with your GT6.  Did this appear at the same time you converted to trunnion-less?

I say this as although I've never seen comment elsewhere, when I converted the Vitesse a couple of years ago, the suspension geometry settings, toe, camber and caster were all messed up and not by a small amount either.  Toe I was expecting, the others not so much.

I've got it most of the way back to where it was now though the previously excellent turn-in is still not as good as it was.  Bit upsetting as it had taken much tweaking to get it as good as it was.

Also seemed to change the damper setting - can only imagine this is because the trunnion-less set-up has lower friction than the previous nylon bushes.

Not intended as a negative on the trunnion-less route, just a heads-up to make sure that the geometry is fully checked afterwards and adjusted as necessary.

Nick

So, was the trunnionless set that was squealing as we went around Lingotto?.....or was that Kate?

When i first built my GT I used ford Capri vented discs and spaced GT6 calipers on standard uprights.  A few years later i changed the VL to trunnionless ones along with the oversize stub axles and alloy hubs. The Capri vented disc and caliper setup, to my surprise, then didn't fit!! In the end i had to fit the 4 pot alloy caliper and vented disc kit that canleys sell which ,other than the poor quality powdercoating on the calipers, I've been very happy with. I can only assume that this issue was caused by the trunnionless VL

• 7 months later...

advice please I have just had my n/s trunnion fail on my mot, it's only done 400 miles and has been oiled regularly , I have read on here that they can fail if the caster is way out, so after a lot of searching on here and other sites, I checked that from the centre line through the top ball joint centre of the stub axle and middle of the trunnion, this was WAY out to get all three in line I have had to shim out the front bottom fixing Five shims  with none in the rear, can this be right it looks wrong. I am trying to get it as close as possible before it is taken into Micheldever Tyres for a laser set up, I think i have about 2 deg neg camber on the front 

At this point ,trunnion less kits would be more beneficial ,if considering changing the V/L

I`ve seen some of the new V/L`s and would never fit them. Some have the lub hole (drilled down the centre of the threaded portion of the link, and they were off centre, making one side of the diameter weaker than the others....thus making prone to snapping ..even when new

• 3 weeks later...

A quick up date my VL's are ok, new trunnions fitted, and caster angle checked and             reset to 2 - 3 deg pos both sides, I was amazed auto how many shims I had to use,               the camber is 1 deg pos off side and 0 deg near side, and the tracking 1/8", I think this is close enough until I book it into Micheldever Tyres for a set up, 

• 3 months later...

Hi, would the MOT guys know the trunnionless set up wasnt standard? It looks very well engineered so unless they investigate they probably wouldnt realise. However if they did perhaps you could get a letter from the manufacturer of the kit confirming that its been properly engineered and is far safer than the original design.... 

Most of them have no clue. For example the kunifer brake line kits have teh documentation to prove that they have passed all the tests but one engineer said "It says here it is for a British Leyland Spitfire and this is a Triumph!" You can't make this stuff up...

I know Canley offer the set and I think others. so I will see what I can find out.

I take it this is the import inspection not the routine annual MOT? Its ridiculous when you look at how many accidents happen to classic cars (or any cars for that matter) where the use of incorrect parts is a contributing factor....

Surprisingly here in the UK theres now NO requirement for a routine MOT inspection for cars 40 years or older and this is because of the accident statistics👍