CT Warwickshire Winter 12 Car

Jonny-Jimbo

Thanks Charlie, I think if I were to charge even a minimum wage for it, the entry fee would go up many many times! I do it for the love of it and trying to put something back into the club as well.

In terms of the hardness, when I post the combined Nov/Ex results, there is a good mix. Maybe the difficulty was hard, but combine the two and it's fairly even I think. SO yes, it was hard, but I wanted the event to be a challenge too. I might knock it back a peg or two for the next one (if there is a next one in terms of Nav rallies).

I was very pleased to get a full twelve cars, I worried that it would be like my first summer treasure hunt event, where I had 6 entries in total, only four of which were Triumphs! I'm glad I persevered though!

So, thank you all for coming along and supporting the event - after all, if people don't do them, they won't get organised. I'm very happy and proud to be part of such an active club.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afraid neither of those links are working Jonny.

Quoted Text
Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment
The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in.

If you want to upload them on to the Club site where they can be seen there is a photo album here-

[Sorry, link no longer available]

Keith

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Thanks Charlie, I think if I were to charge even a minimum wage for it, the entry fee would go up many many times! I do it for the love of it and trying to put something back into the club as well.

In terms of the hardness, when I post the combined Nov/Ex results, there is a good mix. Maybe the difficulty was hard, but combine the two and it's fairly even I think. SO yes, it was hard, but I wanted the event to be a challenge too. I might knock it back a peg or two for the next one (if there is a next one in terms of Nav rallies).

I was very pleased to get a full twelve cars, I worried that it would be like my first summer treasure hunt event, where I had 6 entries in total, only four of which were Triumphs! I'm glad I persevered though!

So, thank you all for coming along and supporting the event - after all, if people don't do them, they won't get organised. I'm very happy and proud to be part of such an active club.

2nd overall!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gobsmacked describes it nicely 🙂 I never thought that we had done that well - especially after the 1st section!

Well done Richard, you and Lynn did very well! Just remember though the Novice clues were easier than experts, but that's why I combined the two...

AndyF - It's quite normal to need a push at the start of the event to get into the swing of things. The first section was by far the hardest, both to understand and plot, and the event got easier, but as as been said, people were running out of time. I think next time I'll allow more plotting time at the check points.

Martin, I'll email it over to you soon, and I can give you locations on their entry forms, so hopefully that will give you an idea for their local areas. Can you PM me the best email address to send you the info on?

Hi Jon

Brian and I thoroughly enjoyed the days activities and would like to thank you and your friends for all the time and effort which you put into organising it. Whilst on the journey home, we discussed whether we would enter another event such as this. The answer was "yes" so please put us down for the same event next year should you choose to do another one

Here are some of our thoughts/observations from the perspective of being first timers:-

A) starting with the hardest stage does not help the inexperienced. We found we were getting better at working out the clues as each stage progresses, so please leave the hardest to last.

B) there was very little time between receiving the clues and the start time, even less for us as we were supposed to go first.

C) why do the first timers leave first as the extra time to plot would be helpful

D) on the fishbone diagram, we had no idea what to do at the roundabouts as the instruction pack emailed out beforehand only covered left and right hand junctions.

E) more time at the staging points to plot the next part of the route would be appreciated by us novices

F) we were so busy trying to work out the route, getting lost along the way etc , neither of us had time to look at the other cars on the event.

G) a "full english" or "bacon butties" at the starting venue would be ideal

Thanks again for a fun day.

Regards

Bruce

P.S. I wonder if that farmer has calmed down?

Hi Bruce,

Thanks very much for your feedback there. The summer event is much more relaxed, and a great way to get into nav events, although there is no set route on it as it's a treasure hunt. I'll respond to your points in order to keep it simple;

A) The idea behind starting with the hardest section was that teams could catch up time on the later, easier sections. If they were the other way round the hardest section could have put teams over the time limit when before they were making good time.

B) The estimate by myself and Mike Banks (organises a lot of CT events) was that it would take between 10 and 15 minutes to plot the first section. We underestimated the difficulty of it, so I can only apologise and say 'sorry' for that now. I will consider difficulty levels more for any future events of this type.

C) The idea is the fastest teams leave later, with the beginners leaving last as they have a marked map to work from, so technically should have a fast run, follow the correct route and get a clean sweep.

D) I could have added roundabouts in, and to be honest with you, I thought they were in there. Note to amend for next event (if it involves a Herringbone).

E) Yes, fully agree, can build in more contingency time at PC/TCs.

F) That is one side of these events - when AJ and I did Mike's event in Essex in October, other than on the drive down there and at the start we didn't see another Triumph on the whole event. However, on the Summer treasure hunts, there's much more of a 'social' aspect and you will tend to see the other cars at the stopping places en route. Not with CT, but with another club I was with some of the other teams would deliberately park badly so you couldn't pull over to find the answers to the questions! No such underhand behaviour in CT though.

G) Time and cost go against that idea. AJ is great at catering (those that did the summer event particularly enjoyed the chilli she does), and on the Saturday night was doing a concert with her orchestra, so we just didn't have time to arrange and cook breakfast for that many people. Also, we had never used the Fillongley village hall before, and the kitchen was somewhat smaller than we were expecting. It's something we may offer at the summer event,as I recognise a lot of teams travel from a fair old way to do these. However, it's quite unusual for catering to be included in these events in any form, so often you wouldn't even get a croissant and a cup of hot brown. However, I can always look into offeringf bacon butties. A full English may be pushing it though. Plus, what's in an English? For me it's black pudding, sausage, fried bread, hash browns and a poached egg. Beans and tomatoes  can get left in the shop for all I care...

Hope that answers some of your questions / points above,

Who knows, decided it's in the best interest of the club to just leave it and not use that road again for future events.

Thanks, Jon

Now sent to you Colin.

On the plus side, I have just had an email from someone that lives in the village (Fillongley) who has said thank you to everyone that took part, and it was nice to see the cars out and about. They went for a walk with their young children, so it gave them a chance to discuss the different cars and the details of them etc.

So the moody bastard farmer may not have liked us, but he is very much in the minority it seems! So thank you all for giving the kids something to look at. Give it 20 years and they may be hankering after a Triumph!

I wanted a Herald from the age of about 9 or so, 1200 in red was the car that made me want one... but a 13/60 in green was a good enough first car!

Re Herringbones and roundabouts; remember that they can be defined either as a single junction or as a set of junctions (a roundabout crossroads would be 4 junctions, for example).  The important thing is to read the Final Instructions which will define how junctions (including roundabouts and grass triangles, etc) are to be treated for navigating with the various different clue types.  Normally, a roundabout would be treated as one junction when using herringbone naviagtion, but separate junctions for each road when using yyB, GRR type navigation.  However, it's entirely up to the organiser to decide which to use and make sure it's very clear in the Final Instructions so that there is no misunderstanding.

Quoted from sparky_spit
Re Herringbones and roundabouts; remember that they can be defined either as a single junction or as a set of junctions (a roundabout crossroads would be 4 junctions, for example).  The important thing is to read the Final Instructions which will define how junctions (including roundabouts and grass triangles, etc) are to be treated for navigating with the various different clue types.  Normally, a roundabout would be treated as one junction when using herringbone naviagtion, but separate junctions for each road when using yyB, GRR type navigation.  However, it's entirely up to the organiser to decide which to use and make sure it's very clear in the Final Instructions so that there is no misunderstanding.

And in English?

Regards

Bruce

Hi Jon

With regards to my comments about a full english or bacon butties, I was of course joking Discovering I didn't have to pay for our cups of tea was a nice enough surprise.

Regards

Bruce

P.S. Any chance of you sending out the novice clue sheets please? I would like to work out where we went wrong.

Well when I first organised an event I figured that the hall hire broke down to around £4.80 a team, so I rounded it up to £5 and then included tea and coffee etc, so you do sort of pay for it in a way...

Yes, I can send them out; shall I send to the email address on your entry form?