CT Warwickshire Winter 12 Car

Jonny-Jimbo

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jon

As we will be travelling down the M6 I don't believe the runners route will affect us.

The GT6 is looking doubtful duty to the mystery clateering noise coming from the engine bay . So we will likely be attending in my Stag instead.

Regards

Bruce

Right, I chased up further details with the marathon company today - they were quite friendly and helpful actually. I was half expecting a 'we got the closed roads, f**k off mate' type of thing. Anyway, there is another map I had not found before that also covers the 'access available' times too, so arrival routes are not expected to be affected, and the actual route of the rally should be unaffected too.

Further details here; http://www.coventryhalf.com/us.....tter%201%20Final.pdf

FINALS HAVE NOW BEEN SENT

If you have not received them by the end of play today, please PM me your email address as some of the entry forms either had email addresses missing or not fully legible so I had to make a 'best guess' in some cases.

Looking forward to the event now, as I hope you all are too!

What a day
Started off badly,we had to be given a pointer on the first section, I think a few of the novices had to be given a slight push. Then we were off the next two sections seemed to go ok. Nigel threw a wobley by only wanting to use one of his carbs,a quick float lid removal along with the dash pots,a quick blast of carb cleaner down the jet tubes and he behaved him self for the rest of the day.
Then we found that by the time the forth section had been almost plotted,time had ran out and we had about 10 mins to get to the finish point,cut and run.
Once again there was about 8 or so methods of navigating for the novices to use,I still think as novices there should only be 3 or 4 methods,after all we are NOVICES, if it wasn't for one team just telling us how the "square with numbers around the outside"works we would still be sitting there scratching our heads (section 4)
It would have been helpful for the novices to have been given the checkpoint locations on our clues so that if nothing else we would know we was at least facing the correct way ish !
On arrival at the finish we was totally dejected at not being able to complete section 4,we just wanted to go home, after a chat with the Scrapman he persuaded us to go into the pub as others had struggled.
We came third in class !

On the whole it was an enjoyable day out,full of ups,downs and up again.

Jon
  Thanks for an eventful day out,now I've mellowed out a bit and I got a trophy, it proves to me and Radders that he/we can work some things out but we still need help.

I will do more events,I may need more help ????

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your summary of the event there.

I do appreciate the feedback, and it was all fairly similar to each other. I think I made the event a little bit harder than I had anticipated, and, although I want it to be a challenge, I didn't mean to take the fun out of the event.

All of the novice teams and one or two expert teams did need a bit of a hand initially, but I think once it had been explained a little most teams got to know what they needed to do.

So, the treasure hunt in the summer is a totally different type of event and much more fun (unless going pot hunting, in which case it gets more competitive), and I have learned a fair bit from this in terms of any future Nav rallies I do.

Here are a few photos from the day - hope to get the HD ones from the photographers to put in the album, and ultimately get a publication together to go in the club mag.

Mike,
   I've seen that before,but only glanced through it,I'm a typical bloke :-"I don't need to read the instructions,I've seen the picture and I know how's it's supposed to look" then cop the hump when it goes wrong and go down the pub, meanwhile the wife reads the instruction and puts the wardrobe together on her own ????

I think this navigating lark is a case of the more you do the better you become,I just like to think or know that I'm making progress.
If any one has a set of novice clues and a map with the route marked out so i can check I'm doing it correctly from a previous rally then I'd love to have a go at doing it at home and possibly learn a bit more

Anyone who reads the last couple of posts I've posted please dont take any offence at what I'm saying, it's only my opinion and I am really trying to become better at these events but I and others are only capable of learning this at a curtain speed as every rally I've done so far seems to use different types of plotting
I'll get there in the end ????

Don't worry Dave, it's a steep learning curve. We've done a couple of 12 car rallies and 2 of Jon's scatter rallies  - which gave us a good idea of how to do the herringbone. We struggled with the 1st section though, trying to find the right spot heights to ignore, and ended up working out where the control stop was and going straight there.

We both really enjoyed the day, it was our most challenging rally yet and we were both amazed and delighted to get a trophy at the end.  Thank you once again to Jon, Alex and everyone else for a great day.

Richard and Lynn

Quoted from Davemate

If any one has a set of novice clues and a map with the route marked out so i can check I'm doing it correctly from a previous rally then I'd love to have a go at doing it at home and possibly learn a bit more

Dave, have you got a 168 map? If so, I'll send you the Essex Rally novice clues from last year and also a marked map of the route (in a separate sealed envelope.  If not, I'll include an unmarked 168 as well.  PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post.

Quoted from sparky_spit

Dave, have you got a 168 map? If so, I'll send you the Essex Rally novice clues from last year and also a marked map of the route (in a separate sealed envelope.  If not, I'll include an unmarked 168 as well.  PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post.

Cheers mike
Busy now I'll sort it out later when I'm home

Thank you Jon and friends for putting on an enjoyable event. It would be nice to see some sort of debrief on the correct route and errors that people made (especially us!).  We found the expert clues challenging but not impossible, so think that you had the balance about right. Less sure about the timing though, we had to push on a fair bit - more so nearer the end when it was impossible to safely make up time in the built up areas!  Nevertheless a great day, thanks again - although I don't recall seeing any windmills!

Thanks Jon & helpers for an enjoyable and very hospitable day out

Enjoyed the rally, but one of the hardest bits for me was the lack of locations for the passage controls at the end of each section. When you are struggling to plot the route (As we were) at least knowing where the passage control is gives you an idea of where you need to be heading for. You could then also have the opportunity to work the route out backwards from there are well if you cant plot it forwards.  

Maybe also try the clues out beforehand on a novice next time rather than an expert. An expert will always find the novice clues easy!

A great day none the less and we were well surprised with our result considering we didn't cover section 4 at all due to already being late for the last control.

Thanks again

I'm not sure we knew where we were at all times

It was good fun and Iris says she thinks I could probably go for novice next time if she wasn't my navigator, which is to say, I was able to mostly plot out correctly, so the novice clues weren't too challenging (with the possible exception of the five down arrows in a row). Our problem was much more a case of not recognising the tiny little dirt track as being the road we'd got marked to go down. Oh, and being very confused about the treasure hunt clue relating to "Premier"... when there were at least three establishments of that name on the early part of the route.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, and I really appreciate the feedback, be it 'Thanks for a great event' through to 'That was too hard ya bastard!'. As I said to a few people in the pub, we all learn from these things - hopefully people learned a bit about the different navigation, and I learned a bit about rally organisation, and doing drivers briefings - they're getting better. If nothing else these events have helped my public speaking! Mike Banks helped a lot behind the scenes on this one in terms of paperwork etc, so a huge thanks to him too!

Also, thank you to the kindly soul that offered to pay for your cup of brown! People in the past have suggested charging for it, but I can't do that, and it's all covered by the entry fee anyway!! Alex wasn't sure who it was that asked 'How much for a coffee', but thanks anyway!

Having spent most evenings since October last year working on this, I'll take a few days out if that's okay . I've got the scores and I think I've got the marked maps with the correct routes on on my lap top, so I can upload those during the day. I'll upload the results tables in two formats - by class and 'overall', not including Beg class. Obviously having a marked map gives some advantage!

Also, as Colin Scrapman mentioned it, only one codeboard has gone missing, all others were where I left them. The one that went missing was an incorrect one that would have taken you on a codeboard tour. I hope no-one tried to take the short way round on one of the junctions in the second section at Tower Lane - It's only 3 meters long, but it's also a 3 meter drop too!!

Also, I need to say thank you to the marshals too, they won't see this as they're not on the forum, but it's great to have some mates (and their other halfs in Andy's case) that are willing to put their own time and energy into these events. They're not members of the club, or even own a Triumph, but they're a good bunch of lads.

I'll stick some more photos up on here during the day, and the link to the album (on facebook) which should be set to 'public' so even if you are not signed up to facebook you should still be able to view it.

Finally, I hope that all the teams that came along to this can also make the Summer Treasure Hunt we run - it's a totally different event, much more social and the navigation clues are grid reference points, so you know where you need to go!

Thanks for all your hard work on the getting this new 12 car Rally off the ground - it must have taken hours to get all that done!!
Yes it was probably the hardest rally I have taken part in so far and it was good to see some really constructive feed back from everyone who took part.
It was great to see a full 12 car entry also with a few new faces too.

Unless I have missed something please can you post the overall results on the thread with number of fails.

Once again many thanks Jon and I look forward to the Warwick Scatter - always a great event.

Charlie