First time for everything....

Hi,
Total newbie here. Just joined CT, hopefully to with a view to doing RBRR in 2010. My name is Allen Walker, some of you will know me as the Triumph 2000 Register webmaster.
Have already had some advice from Alan Chatterton regards my crew, and have totally ignored it. He suggested a crew of three, but it's going to be just me and the missus, Lynn.
I have a '76 2500S.
Just wondering a couple of things. How much can I expect to lay out for fuel, and what other costs are involved, just to help me set my budget?
Cheers
Allen

Allen

Fuel - If your car does 30mpg (My Mk1 PI did) then it is about 70 gallons, at £5 a gallon, so about £350. Or buy a Mk2 PI off ebay like Tom Key did and get 15mpg, mortgage your soul to the devil and feel the pain for months afterwards. It will hurt.

£75 ish a person entry.

Depending on where you live, budget a night in a hotel sunday night.

TAke 3 people the first time you do it, 2 is not enough for some people. We had 5 across 2 cars. That worked.

Budget on a couple of packets of biscuits and some coffee stops.

Something to quell the nerves after seeing the floor show at Lancaster services is also essential.... :-)

Cheers

Colin

I reckon two will be fine in a saloon - it's like the round britain sofa run in a saloon :)

(not to say, it's not an accomplishment - i felt the same "relief" as the previous two runs in small chassis cars as I did in the big saloon)

Allen,

First off, welcome to Club Triumph.

Traditionally the start and finish is always The Plough, it will be in 2010.

Last time the total mileage for the suggested route was 1950miles, I want to push it up to 2000miles.

We are presently discussing the entry cost per person, budget on £70/person. Last time it was £60, I hope to be able to keep it at this level. Breakfasts and some snacks are provided, however other foods need tio be bought by crews, fatal though to eat too much as one will become drowsy! I prefer to eat as little as possible!

Inexplicably these days the entry places get snapped up very quickly, entry will be fixed at 90no. as this no. is just about manageable. In the 80s, 90s and early 00s this did not happen, I think this forum has contributed to the popularity of the event.

I imagine Alan C has given you a full run down of the event, it is important to consider that two drivers should share the driving 50-50, if this sounds difficult think about another crew member. Once on the move it is important to get into a rotational driving system, sleeping/navigating or driving. Therefore important to attempt to bone up on the navigational aspect before the event. As with most things the better the prep. work the better the event.

I cannot think of a more suitable car for this event than a overdrive fitted 2500S. Must say I enjoyed using my Mk1 saloon, but found the event more satisfying using my GT6.

Entry forms will be issued in the November magazine, and will be simultaneously released on this website.

Many thanks Tim for the welcome. It'll be a major undertaking for us, but I promised myself some time ago that I would do a major event in the car, hence the decision to try the RBRR. As the car is my daily driver (in the office car park as we speak), It's very much a case of keeping on top of the maintenance as much as possible.
The car is gently modified with the usual 2500S changes: Lowered to pre-facelift height, skimmed head, 2.5PI cam, Witor exhaust, et al. The car has been effectively reliable in my four years of ownership, though a lot can happen in 14 months of course.
No doubt I'll be asking lots of silly question between now and then.

I know most have only a crew of two, I am one who prefers three.  I have done two RBRR's.  I know my limits on staying awake.  From my point, the first run due to the thrill of the event I got almost no sleep till after brakefast on sunday.  Then I died, I mean died and did not wake up till late in the afternoon.   Last year I made sure I got plenty of rest on saturday but still was dead again on sunday morning.  I work midnight to 8AM and have for over 40 years so I am used to being awake all night.  That helps on this run.  Like Tim said go easy on food and drink.  I have been lucky in all my team mates have been fantastic and we all got on very well.  Tim did a great job of geting the floor show saturday evening.  That woke everyone up.  My camara died, wish I had pictures.  As for cars I did the first in a Acclaim and the car did well but I could not find a comfey driving position.  (I'm sure it was just that car and not all Acclaims)  Last year I used my Dolomite 1850 with a TR7 engine and overdrive.  This car fits me well and it preformed nicely.  To me one must use a car (or van) that fits all the drivers.  If you are uncomfy then driveing is a chore.  You will be with your team for 48 hours so do your best to get along.  Don't let any petty thing annoy you.  Again for your first time test the waters and go with a crew of 3.  One of my team mates last year had never entered because he thought he would not stay awake if only two.  But above all if you and your team are too tired to drive at any point, pull over and get some rest.  Their is no shame if you do.  Just be SAFE!  

Bunch of wimps. Do it in a tiny noisy car without reclining seats which leaks water and tries to poison you with exhaust gases. A co-driver who hasn't driven before and who is convinced there's a ghost sitting on your back seat (yes, I'm serious) is also a must.

I like the idea of doing it in a saloon or even the Acclaim but I can't pass down the chance to drop down the roof on a sunny morning and blasting through the shadows cast by tree leaves on a country road. I think I'll prepare better next time though, apparently I looked a little tired afterwards.

Food wise I took healthy stuff. You know those bags of leaves you can buy, pasta salads, etc. The idea being that I'd get food to keep me alive and awake but without the sugar rush of chocolate and crisps.

Ferney! The only car to have the top down more than you were those Army guys!  Even in the rain! We saw all the trash bits of cookies, nuts and Potato Chip Bags you threw out the car!  You looked tired and wiped on Saturday morning at Breakfast!  Although that was far better than you normally look.  We all assumed you looked good in someone's eyes as all the Sheep in Scotland followed your car, at speed!  I admit to inventing the art of "Dolomite Tossing" and the "Round-A-Bout Shuffel" but we had no "Ghost" in our car.  Someone did a few time turn as white as one though.  As for "Toxic Gas" you sure it was the car?  If you ask nicely I know someone in Luton who just might sell you a nice er [s][/s]claped out[s][/s]  Acclaim cheap.

I did it first time last year in a Spit with my brother.  Take every chance you can for rest, I snoozed under a sleeping bag on part of the run down to the start.
I did the Plough to Blythe and bro snoozed, then changed, swapped again at Tow Law on A68 where we met some mates for a butty and sandwich. Little bro hit a wall in Inverness on way up, I hit wall in Fort William and slept till Stirling.
As long as you are used to long driving and are sensible about rest and don't push it's okay.

Good luck
Mark

Pah! You need a 48 year old fugly van that hasn't driven more than 20 miles in the last 30+ years - fixed seats, no insulation, no seat belts and it cock's a rear wheel on most corners - oh and about 12 hp too - it's so nasty I actually miss driving it  :P

• 2 months later...

Been there, done that. ;D
Works even better if the gearbox insulation is melting on the exhaust. If you do fancy some sleep put the roof up and it;ll help. Although you'll have to stop at some point to let the smoke out so you can see where you're going. Outside police stations in Scotland is a good choice. :)

Archived