Thought I'd start a new thread about who's done what to their cars since returning from the RBRR, a sort of follow up to the 'What went wrong' thread

So for Car 97, I have purchased a new alternator (£40 from local motor factor), taken off Andy Copas' (Car 98 ) secondhand one I fitted at Gordano Services and fitted the new one. Strangely I seem to need a longer fan belt now! Also sorted the non functioning horn, a spade connector had dropped off the bottom of the compressor - simples :)

That's all folks - decided to live with the slightly rattly bottom end for a while,

Remove and inspect propshaft - if serviceable, replace UJs.

Check what resulting damage may have been done after 2500 miles of driveline vibration

Remove and inspect nearside rear brake cylinder, which has a sticking piston.

Renew backplate/handbrake rubber boots (split - not that old, either.)

Clutch will also need replacing at some point - 89,000 miles and original, AFAIK.

Had the exhaust off today, huge hole where the mounting had torn out of the pipe just behind the rear silencer. Got that TIG welded back on and refitted.

How quiet is it now?!!

Other bad news, first speeding ticket through today!! Got caught at 35mph in a 30mph limit, 3 miles from home on the way to the Plough!!!!  :B

Just went out for a final trip before I depart to the Far East on Tuesday. A1M & M25 in the rush hour are much more bearable in a decent car instead of a Eurobox :) Car running fine but will be dropped in for some bodywork repairs on saturday  

Car 20. Have now drained the indoor swimming pool and nearly ready to take out the heater thats drying it all out. Wipers packed up  Nth Scotland now found to be a loose connection. New radiator going in later this month. Other wise fine. Good luck with repairs to others. Malc.

AlanChatterton wrote:

Other bad news, first speeding ticket through today!! Got caught at 35mph in a 30mph limit, 3 miles from home on the way to the Plough!!!!  :B

I thought the smokescreen was supposed to obscure the numberplate!

mike

Parts came through the post from Canleys today to fix the mechanical aspects of the damage to the GT6 following our off road excursion on the run.

All the parts to replace the rear nearside adjustable suspension tie bar plus exhaust gasket, hangers, and bits that fell off the handbrake cable.

Hope to fit before the weekend and get into a 4 wheel alignment place next week to adjust the tie rod and front tracking (looks like the steering rack has moved sideways through the solid rack mounts) plus check nothing else is out of line.

Bodywork can be done later once I've had a chance to shop around and decide what other bit's I'm going to have done in addition to the dented valances.

mikew wrote:

I thought the smokescreen was supposed to obscure the numberplate!

mike

It would have if I got nicked halfway round....... but it was only 5 minutes from my house, so not enough had gone wrong to emit such a smoke screen then.

after all of the spanking I gave the car, to be caught at 35 is a bit of a relief............... could have been alot worse.............. might still be, still a week for the letters to arrive!

Went out to the garage to get the car out and remove the stickers and wash her. Wouldn't start, not a thing. Checked the ignition switch and all ok, so it was starter motor. Moved the wiring and started fine. as I was off, I decided to look further. Removed the starter motor and cleaned the connections and terminals. Replaced it and all is now fine. I think the amount of rain etc that we drove through on the RBRR may well have taken it's toll on this.

Colin.

Cookies GT6 is back on the Road following the spin off in the highlands :)

New rear suspension tie bar fitted.

Exhaust fixed

Handbrake fixed

Bonnet straightened

Wheel arch dent fixed

Number plate straightened

Just the dented valances to sort out now but no rush to do that.

I'll be taking it in to a 4 wheel alignment place sometime next week to check the front rear tracking and make sure nothings twisted out of line but it's looking good..

car 8 dolomite 1500se
we had no problems on the run ,but on the way back up to s yorkshire we developed a vibration and rattle which turned out
to be the centre u/j on the prop.
so yesterday i fitted a spare on that i had in store ,vibration and rattle now gone everything now back to normal

steve :)

Car 58.

Still had intermitent misfire that started around Bude, so the condensor was changed while up in Norfolk today -seems to have cured it.

Still have a 'droning' noise that started around Dartmoor (and it can't be Dave because he wasn't out with me today! ;))

Cant decided if its a rear wheel bearing or the diff. Will inspect more this weekend.  :)

Just checked out my car and it looks like my rear valance is finally finished! It fought a loosing battle with rust and the roads on the HCR last year but I think the RBRR was just one bumpy country road too far! Looks like the only way forward for me now is a new panel!

I've also got an exhaust box that's slightly flatter than it was previously and an exhaust mount thet needs reattaching. Apart from that it's all good!  :)

391 wrote:

I thought it was you that suggested checking all the plug leads? Or was that AJP? Can't remember now, seems such a long time ago!  :)

I suggested both but actually checked the leads for you.....comes from having a car that used to eat condensors and a rbrr horror when my car burnt out a plug lead end ;D.....why do we bother?
Oh yes I remember its fun 8)

Archived