Progress on entrants cars 2007

Raider

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All new...

There are no races in the photos, they are in the hubs.

By race I guess you mean stub axle? What's so difficult to paint?

By king pin are you referring to the trunnion? They can be a pain as the bolt can rust on to the sleeve - but you just have to get violent with them if that's the case...

A bit like swiss cheese at the moment Craig! ;D

The Spitfire's going to be off the road for some time now I think, so I've recently bought a Mk1 2000 Estate and rather than wait till the last minute I have already insured James on it ready for various events he has entered us both into... I must be mad  ;)

Just starting to put the list of things to do to prepare the Spitfire for the run next year and am putting some additional lamps on the car - the question I have from all you experienced people who've done it (and the RBRR) before - do I fit Driving or Fog Lamps?.

I am leaning towards the rectangular type slung under the bumper like these Road Runners from http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/lights-1/lights-1.html

Warning - this is likely to be one of many questions from a first timer!!

Thanks Tim, if either James or Ellis can either post the diagram, or point me to it if it already exists on the messageboard I will be eternally grateful, last time I added Driving/Fog lamps to a car (other than ticking the options box!) was to my 1200 Herald convertible in the mid  70's! and I know I didn't bother with a relay then!

Will there be a Preparation thread for the 10CR similar to the RBRR?

Quoted from Spitfire4 It's called getting a touch of the JC's (for JC read James Carruthers or Jason Chinn), whereby you enter the event with all the intentions of doing it in your own car, and then at the eleventh hour switch to your co-drivers car...

How's your Spitfire looking Andrew?

Well there is a difference in that on the 11th hour my car was fine, prepped and ready to go then - clang clang clang and it wasn't going anywhere :-(

James' car has yet to be assembled BUT it's already done a RBRR

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its been a while since I posted an update, so here we go. Thanks to the excellent help provided by James' wiring diagram I have just finished wiring in a couple of driving lamps picked up at Stoneleigh last Sunday - Picture attached - went for oval ones just below the bumper and relocated the number plate to the Spoiler. Have some minor jobs to do - replace accelerator cable - current one sticks a bit - new points, plugs etc to fit and I have developed (or rather the car has) a knocking from the N/S rear which I suspect is a UJ on the way out. I am also under pressure from my brother to replace the seats with MX5 types before the run so am currently watching a couple on Ebay - is there any preference to MK1 or Mk2 type? Do they both fit with a bit of fettling?

Archived