Progress on entrants cars 2007

Raider

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I got a car to do the 10CR in - so that's progress.

A long list of things to do; an OD gearbox is already with Dave @ Canley, some Koni shocks and Witor springs, new steering wheel, 4 new Cibie headlights, anti-roll bar, oil pressure and tacho and perhaps some new wheels. And I think that's about it.

Josh: Hey the futures not green its grey!

Its a beaut eh!

Set of five spoke spilt rim Revos would look good, or some proper Minilites? Compomotive MLs?

Just goes to prove that good quality mk1 saloons are still out there. Snap them up whilst they are still available.

James: Think about the brakes as well- those passes can kill the brakes on these cars!

Hmmn, realistically if I have to use Gertie, my prep had gone pear shaped big time - plan A is Stag but she's been off the road 10 years and there's loads to do, plans B & C are TR7 V8 or PI but not necessarily in that order. 

TR is the only one on the road right now as the PI is missing her seats - at the trimmers being re-diaphragm'ed!

Quoted from jcarruthers Well I got a car to do the 10CR in - so that's progress.

A long list of things to do; an OD gearbox is already with Dave @ Canley, some Koni shocks and Witor springs, new steering wheel, 4 new Cibie headlights, anti-roll bar, oil pressure and tacho and perhaps some new wheels. And I think that's about it.

James

Don't rush to do the ARB, we never noticed the lack of one on the RBRR, and some of the driving was very spirited. Definately agree on the headlights, the original steering wheel feels fine after a few hours nice and re-assuringly big. If you are filling the boot with spares then yes to the stronger springs, we used estate ones at the back.

We didn't find the performance exactly electrifying though, needed a little something extra we felt, like 500cc more.

I suggest you try looking for some hills to try it out.

Cheers

Colin

p.s. just let us know if you want a matching pair on the driveway!

The problem with the original steering wheel is not the size - I like a big wheel and will replace it with one the same size - it's the size of the grip and the fact the rubbery coating comes off in your hands.

Having driven Tim's SU with it's 15" Motolita it's much nicer.

I've tried it on plenty of hills - be ok if I could keep it in 2nd on a manual box - but with auto the gear ratios seem all wrong.

Quoted from jcarruthers The problem with the original steering wheel is not the size - I like a big wheel and will replace it with one the same size - it's the size of the grip and the fact the rubbery coating comes off in your hands.

Having driven Tim's SU with it's 15" Motolita it's much nicer.

I've tried it on plenty of hills - be ok if I could keep it in 2nd on a manual box - but with auto the gear ratios seem all wrong.

That's not a rubbery coating, it's the remains of previous owners.

We had it as well.

5 mins with a gentle scouring pad in the sink worked wonders.

You can buy brand new ones from Fitchetts for peanuts, or Dave Jones can flog you one that he now knows is worth peanuts, was in teh boot of Gertie and he liberated it when he was briefly the owner.

Cheers

Colin

• 1 month later...

Ground the welds up on the bulkhead repacement panel today [landlady was out]..took the pedal boxes apart ,cleaned and painted ,put back tomorow ,waiting for my toeque wrench to be returned so i can finish putting the engine back together....80 days ...good job we've got a back up car

Archived