James

Must admit when I looked at it I thought your wheels looked "too tucked in" if you see what I mean-go to a MK2 rear end -are your revs 6J? should still fit- my cheesys are 6J -but do have a skinny tyre on

Hve you lowered it too much? CW does the spacers etc to compensate -cant remember the ins and outs or the rear geometry would have to read up on it

So Greeks, you disconnected your power steering?

Oh, hang on, I just noticed your disclaimer!  ;D

Disturbing to hear all this talk of rear ends.  I spent a fair bit of time beneath a 2500S this afternoon, the rear end of which was being polybushed.

Top tip, use a twatting great hole saw to remove the old bushes.  It's far more fun than hi tech pullers etc!

Just watch out for the flying globs of molten, searing hot rubber!

Indeed, and anything more than a couple of mm between tyre and arch at the rear is a waste :-) Widetrack suspension, Stag brakes, spacers to get over the Stag drums and I have an extravagant 2 mm after a little tickle of both t he arches and the drums with the grinder - the raised lettering on Stag drums was interfering with the wheel/spacer fit and the shape of the KN Gemini wheel clashes with the Stag drums but after some minor surgery, it all fits 8)

ajp wrote:
only if you put them in the boot!

;D yes, very funny, honestly though, could I have a problem should I do some offset checking before I go buying tyres and getting wheel nuts made, I believe they used to live on a TR6 before I had them, swapped for a set of HS6s

Yes you should check the offset before you buy some tyres. I tried some TR6 steel wheels on my Mk1 but they stuck out by a couple of inches (but my car has MK 2 rear suspension) so if you have MK 1 suspension you might be ok. My car now has 15 x 7J wheels with 205/60/15 Yoko tyres the clearance between the tyre & wheel arch lip is aprox 15mm. I brought my wheels from CW not cheap I know but at least I knew they would fit.

Right, thanks guys, I too have MK11 rear suspension it's the only way to go, I used 6j x 14s and 195 70s on my MK1 saloon with MK11 suspension and thinking back they were a bit on the tight side, I think it was only the  negative camber that saved the day

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Recently greatly lightened the steering on my Mk2 PI (which also has 7 tooth pinion "quick-rack") by pumping up the tyres a bit more to 33 psi (were about 29-30) and checking tracking again which was slightly toe-out giving it a light vague feeling about the straight-ahead quickly weighting up as lock was applied.  Now it's slightly toe-in it feels less vague in the straight ahead and doesn't seem to weight up so much as lock is applied.

Nick

Ah, yes..... parking/low speed maneuvers....... cheaper than joining a gym!

I have most bits to add PAS, but this involves effort, rethinking my trigger wheel arrangements (so I can add the PAS pulley) and it has also been suggested (correctly I fear) that the PAS rack will want to be in the same place as a corner of the TR6 exhaust manifold......  Enough to make me lie down until the feeling goes away!

Nick