Except for the very early 1850's which had different cylinder heads (valve size) all engine internals are the same. Safe for the pistons of course.
Agree with Colin. But might be easier to just fit an entire TR7 engine. Should be available cheap as a lot of TR7's are still being converted to V8 power.

I also suspect because it is easier to use the std dolly 1850 (or better still sprint) gearbox, as there is a prop that fits and no faffing.

I am still in the process of fitting a TR7 lump into my toledo with sprint box and axle. Not certain the axle is ideal, and once on the road a 3.7 ratio may get swapped. But I digress.......

MikeyB wrote:
'cos the old LT77 5 speeder is rubbish compared to the o/d units - terrible gearchange and significantly heavier......

Indeed much heavier. But as a result pretty strong.
As for the gearchange, that can be solved with Land Rover baulk rings and good quality 75W90 gearbox oil.
It needs oil pressure from it's internal pump for a good change. The higher the revs the better the gear change  :X
And bear in mind that the gear lever of a TR7 LT77 'box sits ± 4" further back.

Still toying with the idea of using the Dolly Sprint O/D 'box that came with my current project.
But I don't want to change the transmission tunnel ...

Watching 'For the love of cars' the other week when they restored that SD1, I was shocked at how similar the clutch release system is to the one in GT6/Vitesse cars.

Always understood that the LT77 was a good gearbox?

Was it not the the last thing designed by Triumph engineers, before complete submersion into BL?

I never had  any issue with the LT77 in the  various SD1s I’ve owned and it seemed fine in the TR7 I had very briefly ..the reason why I was asking was to cobble together a shed for the 2016 RBR ..if the "ongoing" blagging to rescue a sprint doesn’t come off I was looking at a 1850 that needs a new engine...and shoving in a 2.0l tr7 lump and box I know of ..

I have driven 2 cars with an LT77 fitted, a Stag and a TR7V8.

I really did not get on with them at all.

It seemed that the 5th gear was an afterthought, and you have to dig and stir for ages until you find it, usually accompanied by crunching and grinding.

Give me a Triumph box with OD anyday, preferably 3-rail style, but single rail is still more than good enough.

thescrapman wrote:

It seemed that the 5th gear was an afterthought, and you have to dig and stir for ages until you find it, usually accompanied by crunching and grinding.

I never had any trouble with 5th on my old TR7. The box was clunky at all times, but not much worse than the 2500s and Stag, except that the LT77 seems worse when cold.

thescrapman wrote:
I have driven 2 cars with an LT77 fitted, a Stag and a TR7V8.

I really did not get on with them at all.

Our factory V8 saloon's LT77 had those issues. It got much worse when we used it on the RBRR a few years ago.

When I stripped it after the event I found the remote mounting/insulating rubber bushes were badly worn. A new set improved the change no end.

Slimboyfat wrote:

Our factory V8 saloon's LT77 had those issues. It got much worse when we used it on the RBRR a few years ago.

When I stripped it after the event I found the remote mounting/insulating rubber bushes were badly worn. A new set improved the change no end.

Hopefully the owners are reading this!!!

:-)