Refitting d type overdrive

FloydP

Hi all, been trying to refit my d type overdrive unit back onto the gearbox, I can get it to within 20mm of the gearbox flange (just before the studs go into the flange) and then it stops. So I'm assuming I've aligned the splines ok and I've made sure the lowest part of the oil pump cam is at the bottom.
My best guess is that it's the oil pump plunger hitting on the lip of the cam, is it a case of giving the back of the overdrive a whack to push the plunger onto the cam or am I doing something wrong?
Thought I'd ask before I break something.
Cheers,
Floyd.

DON'T whack it!  Almost certainly the splines are NOT correctly lined up.  The coarse splines on the tip of the D-type gearbox output shaft are the last bit to mate into the overdrive unit and can be difficult to get in.  Took me ages of trial and error but in the end these slid in like a lamb.  Take care not to burr over the ends of the splines or the corresponding bit they go into.  

Simon

That last little bit was a problem for me too, its not the cam lip...! I ended up twisting and lifting the o/d unit a tad and rotating the output shaft pinion a fraction then ....pop it falls in under its own weight.

Watch for the pop tho...goes when you least expect it... use the palms of hands and fingers away from the edges..i have the blood blister to show for my lack of patience    (mad)

Floyd

The alignment is critical, a thou out and it won't fit.

The way to do it is to run a small screwdriver up and down the grooves in the 2 part splined bit inside the OD until you feel / hear no difference in teh alignment.

then with the gearbox supported on 2 blocks of wood under teh bell housing, either side of teh input shaft, lower the OD onto the mainshaft. you can reach in and align the oil pump drive.

It should lower down smoothly using just gravity to provide the effort.

Cheers

Colin

Quote:
I was hoping to refit the overdrive with it still in the car, is this do able or should I pull the box out.

I did manage to refit my OD unit with the box in (and from beneath the car, but with benefit of an inspection pit), so it is possible but a bit of a struggle.  Try to pre-align the splined bits as others have suggested.
Simon

If it helps at this late stage a HB pencil lead can be used to'lubricate' the splines the lead is made of carbon graphite and has no detrimental effects. This is an old engineering trick from my apprentice years, where it was common practice when rebuilding lathe gearboxes.

Darren

we have fitted many and done some 'in the car'  you need to lift the tail of the gearbox pretty high. so look out for hose tension and fan fouling .

the hardest job is to get the one way clutch splines aligned with the sun gear , tedious
its obviously better out the car but dont let that put you off.    strong tea a good eye and frequent murmering
helps .

did you strip the unit ???  the planet gears have marks on to correctly get all 3 in the best running position
these must be aligned on reassembling the unit,  if its not been stripped down  it will be ok
Pete

thescrapman wrote:
Floyd

The alignment is critical, a thou out and it won't fit.

The way to do it is to run a small screwdriver up and down the grooves in the 2 part splined bit inside the OD until you feel / hear no difference in teh alignment.

then with the gearbox supported on 2 blocks of wood under teh bell housing, either side of teh input shaft, lower the OD onto the mainshaft. you can reach in and align the oil pump drive.

It should lower down smoothly using just gravity to provide the effort.

Cheers

Colin

or a needle file

Ok I'm struggling with the alignment of the splines, they both seem to want to move together and not individually so getting them to line up is tricky, should they move freely of each other or do I need to apply a fair bit of force?
What size screwdriver is best?
Should I hold the prop output flange stationary whilst I try to move the splines?
Thanks,
Floyd.

Overdrive is now in, once I worked out that to align the splines the one to move is the rear one and it only turns anti clockwise, after that it all went fairly smoothly until I went to put the bolts in the gearbox mount holes of the overdrive housing and discovered they didn't exist and neither did the casting lugs, so it looks like my overdrive didn't come from a triumph!
I was a bit peed of but with nothing to lose pulled the rear casting of my old overdrive and swapped it with the new one in the car, surprisingly this went ok. As to wether it will work or not will have to wait until I next get another couple of hours in the garage.
Cheers,
Floyd

• 7 months later...

Hi all, just to resurrect this post, I'm currently trying to fit my d-type overdrive onto the box.  I've tried aligning the splines lots of times but often some look perfectly aligned while at the same time others look out of alignment.  Other times it looks about right.

Is there a reason why it aligns some but not all the splines?  

I've tried running a needle file along the side of the splines and can't achieve a smooth feel on all the splines at any one time, and the overdrive still won't go beyond the last 20mm or so of travel - and I've not forced it.

When I took it apart I saw the little clip that goes over gap in the mainshaft splines was missing, and my old gearbox mainshaft had wear ridges at that point. The gearbox and overdrive were supposedly reconditioned 12 years and 30-40,000 miles ago and I've not had problems with the overdrive although the gearbox was never quite right.  I have a nice new recon TD Fitchett box so its an unworn mainshaft, but was hoping to re use my overdrive as it seems fine in operation and reading about them they rarely give trouble internally.

I bought a new mainshaft clip - could its previous omission explain my refitting problems?I haven't tried fitting it without the clip so far.  It seems wrong to put it together without something the designers felt was needed.

I'm worried the original reconditioner forced it on there somehow maybe burring the edges of the splines or damaging something - but would I have had all that trouble free mileage out of it??

thanks for your help!

Sadly not, the overdrive isn't getting close enough to foul on the oil pump drive.  The problem is the splines in the overdrive never completely line up - there is always one spline which hasn't gone far enough and its opposite number that has gone too far.  The rest line up.  I've had the thing on and off so many times I'm starting to burr the edges of my new input shaft!  ??)

There must be somthing wrong in the overdrive- Can't really tell from the manual but looks like the spindle at the rear which you turn is the planet carrier, and maybe the needle roller bearing which I think the planet assembly runs round is worn or breaking up, causing it to be off centre.  I'm now coming to terms with an unplanned strip down or recon overdrive. Aaaargh!

Can be a right sod this.  Doubt there is anything wrong with the OD.  How are you trying to line up the splines?  Needs a long skinny screwdriver poked down inside the the spline.  One of the two halves should turn in one direction IIRC.

If it comes to it, the OD is not an especially complex beast mechanically.  Just need to watch that the various dots on the gears line up when reassembling.
Cheers

Nick

thanks for the encouragement, that's good to know!

Having run out of time and pulled out most of my hair on the weekend I've decided to ask my local garage to have a look - they remember when the cars were current, and always have a few classics there at any one time so I think the time has come for someone with experience to have a go before I do any (more) damage.

when it all pops  together for no apparent reason all the strong tea and expletives fail into insignificance and peace  returns...Hmmm

if you have exhausted all faith then mabe help is a sound move to save booking the assylum.

this is one of those easy jobs that can defy all patience.....

Petel

• 2 months later...

In case anyone was wondering, turned out the mainshaft in the new box wasn't straight. My garage couldn't get it to fit, but the old box went straight back on every time which pointed to the new box being the problem.  Took it back to Fitchetts who couldn't get it to fit either.  They tried it with another box off the shelf which went in.

The problem mainshaft was a new part which wasn't straight, and their mechanic Tony said it was several 'thou out. So problem solved, finally.

Fitchetts is a fascinating place to spend a morning though. As well the all the parts there were several cars - an original Herald with under 1000 miles on the clock from new, a beautiful and immaculate looking Auatin Healy 100/6, a pair of Datsun 240Zs, just tucked away in a corner of the warehouse. Upstairs in the 'showroom' - more like a mini museum, and all very dusty - a lovely brown Stag with about 29,000 on the clock and a restored but unassembled TR4 bodyshell and chassis plus lots of old motorbikes. And a huge pile of Practical Classics - I think the whole back catalogue was there - plenty of reading material while you wait!

Archived