Mark 3 GT6 restoration - here we go!

Rubce

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

More progress has been made this week. 2 weeks into it and I am happy with what I have achieved to-date. :)

The top surface of the dashboard facia was a sod to get out as one of the retaining nuts was turning but not progressing along the stud. Unfortunately I ripped the vinyl so that will have to be sorted before its refitted next year. :'(

Regards

Bruce

Wow  :o

You need to get rid of rear non original part, and cut all rust out.
You might be better of buying a complete box section part 807104.
Sit down before you read the price!
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-807104
Cheaper at james paddock though.

Heel board panel might have some damage too.
Lower B-post panel has a strange shape; if fully gone, you are better of buying this as a repair too.

Rust like that needs to be cut out entirely. Even if you try to halt its progress with paint, Waxoyl and positive thinking, it will eat away at both you and your car like a nagging wife. 100 quid now for the crossmember is better than having to rip into your 'restored' car in a couple of years and do it properly then. The rear suspension tie-rod bolts to the rail further inboard - while the metal around the mount might be sound, the rust will spread, and even now that rail isn't as firmly anchored to the bodyshell as it should be.

I've been rebuilding a GT6 for a couple of years now, and have enjoyed following Mike Weaver's 4WD Estate restoration. The standard he set made me tackle some jobs several times when I hadn't reached his standard the first time round. Of course the timetable went right out the window and the car's still waiting for its engine, but when it hits the road, it will be the very best I can physically achieve. Have a browse through Mike's blog and see what you think.

At this stage I don't believe I need to replace the entire crossmember. I have a concern that if I was to do that I will be causing other problems due to it being such an intrusive process. It is still firmly attached to the offside inner sill on two sides and the other two sides can be reconstructed. Further repair patches in the inner wing and healboard will be required plus the B post patch. Further work is required to remove the remaining rusty metal but slowly slowly wins the race.

Regards

Bruce

rotoflex wrote:
These pictures give me the heebie-jeebies.

Me too! Bruce brought it round to mine a few weeks ago and it didn't look too bad! Ah, what lies beneath is the stuff of nightmares  :o

Keep going Bruce, you're doing a great job! Hope you didn't leave any of those tin worms on my drive!!!  ;D

2396 wrote:

Keep going Bruce, you're doing a great job! Hope you didn't leave any of those tin worms on my drive!!!  ;D

Hi Kevin

If you see any wriggling around, send them in the direction of the nearest MG ;D or stamp on them ;) Feel free to pop round to have a look if you want to.

Cheers

Bruce

rotoflex wrote:
These pictures give me the heebie-jeebies.

Yeah :-/ I had been in two minds on whether to take the car back to bare metal prior to its respray. Considering what I have discovered so far I think all the old paint and filler will be coming off so that I am sure no more nasties are lurking underneath ready to pounce on the new paintwork ??)

When I did that with my Stag it looked like a Delorean until it was primered. The driveway was white with filler and paint dust as it was coming off in clouds as the grinder did its business.

Cheers

Bruce

Well after another afternoon's work on the car, the mess continues! Whilst digging out the corrosion around the front of the rear offside wheelarch, I noticed a split in the underseal adjacent to the radius link bracket. I poked it with a screwdriver and a hole appeared. :'( I removed the radius link and the associated bracket and and this is what I discovered :'( To add insult to injury one of my grinders went up in smoke :(

On a positive note, I have started to rebuild the inner sill at the backend.

After today's discovery my plan is to fit the new offside sill and then remove the body from the chassis, tip it on its end and clean off all the underside so I can conduct a clear assessment of what further repairs like this recent discovery are required. I will then pop it back on the chassis to confirm alignment before removing it again for painting and then the resto of the chassis itself.

Bruce