Mark 3 GT6 restoration - here we go!

Rubce

Work has progressed this week with the rear section of the chassis de-rusted and primed. Rustbuster epoxy mastic paint has been applied since the above photo was taken. I have also been busy bead blasting the various suspension components and then priming them. About two thirds are done and hopefully I will get the other bits finished off this week. The underfloor heating in the kitchen is great for drying out paint on suspension items ;)

Bruce

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a gap of a couple of weeks whilst I did some running repairs to the Stag, work on the GT6 has recommenced. Yesterday I finished the weld repairs to the chassis, which consisted of inserting repair sections to the two front outriggers and fitting new bolt tubes. The tubes are actually brake disc mounting bushes used on railway rolling stock which I had salvaged out of the scrap bin.

Bruce

You'll hate me for saying it, but from personal experience I'd now only ever replace the whole outrigger rather than repairing. Especially if the body is off the car. If that edge is weak from jacking then inside the box nearer the chassis will also be full of corrosion. Also gives you a chance to brace it. In fact, I'd go as far to say that if you've got the body off and there's any doubt in your mind about corrosion then get it off as it's the only time you have good access to be able to weld properly. Here's what I did to my Herald ones;

Hi

I borrowed an endoscope and had a look inside the box section and it appeared fine. Put it this way, not bad enough to warrant spending 110quid on a new pair of outriggers. The repair section I have inserted is thicker plate than on a new rigger and the new tubes are actually solid bar drilled through which gives a wall thickness of about 8mm which will be fine to use as a jacking point and again way more substantial than the tube on a new rigger.

Hey ho

Cheers

Bruce

No more rolling around on the floor ;)

When I took the second unit apart I discovered that the damper has lost all its oil and was doing sod all which goes some way to explaining why the car was bottoming out at the front end for the month before I took it off the road for its resto.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

After cleaning up the lower wishbones I noticed that the nearside one has suffered some damage :(. It appears to have been dragging on the ground at some point in its past life ??) This is not something which has occurred during the four years we have owned the car.

Bruce

2806 wrote:
Hi All

After cleaning up the lower wishbones I noticed that the nearside one has suffered some damage :(. It appears to have been dragging on the ground at some point in its past life ??) This is not something which has occurred during the four years we have owned the car.

Bruce

Front Trunnion or vertical link failure. Part of the history of the car.

Hi All

I continued work on the diff this afternoon with a new pinion oil seal fitted and new polybush rear mounts. Hopefully the new input and output oil seals I have fitted will eliminate/reduce the oil loss. I have ensured the split pin hole is clear of muck. All that is left to do is apply some rust killer and paint, mount onto the chassis and then fill with oil.

Regards

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

The sump had an inch of sludge in it. YUK! This is despite me changing the oil every 3,000 miles. I have no idea when the sump was last off the engine. Looking on the bright side the next lot  new oil I put in should stay cleaner for a lot longer.

The crank shaft end float was excessive and when the thrust washers were removed and measured they were oversize ones which had become worn. After doing the calcs, fitting a new pair of 5 thou oversize will bring the crank end float back into the permitted range.