Mark 3 GT6 restoration - here we go!

Rubce

Bodytub and chassis separated for what I believe is the first time since the car was assembled in 1973. I suspect this because we struggled to find the 11th and 12th securing bolts. Eventually they were unearthed amongst the original factory fitted sound deadening pads on the rear deck. Our Scottish Terrier was supervising activities!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2806 wrote:
The area around the rear spring had almost no paint or underseal remaining but so far I haven't found any holes in that area so it looks as if I have caught it in time.

mine was original factory color there  :) also no underseal there , but the rest of the car has been undersealed many times before my ownership  ;)

Bruce, thats the prob wid these old cars, its where ne one sees that ye got to look hard at.
you gotta get as much as ye can out,or as Nick says,it,ll come back.

the bonnet has got a few dubble panels,or folds, same as doors,tail gate, its where thees folds are,
moisture gits in,and starts to play,wid the results shown

on the bonnet ends, you can chop it all off,and weld a thicker bit of stip steel in, this will add strangth to this area
then weld sheet steel to it, and fill, but,the flat panels warp like mad when heat gets on em.

Whilst ye at it, I would be looking very very closely at the screen pillars, they rot frae inside to oot,
and ye prob fin a big rust patch at bottom inside corner where rubber hides it.
and there is very little strengh left in the pillar,  

I pushed a Spitty one day Dad had got,  shoulder on the pillar , and the pillar bent, as there was nothing left of it.

the rear hatch, will have rust on the inside,inside the rubber area,  try and fill the whole thing up wid a rust killer,and let t soak for ages,then fill wid wax oil,
keep it warm, and see it ooze thru places., then drain, and it should be ok.
dont drain it off, then it runs oot when sun heats it, and it come oot the two open holes at top, all owa what ye got inside, how doo I no this, !!!

Also have a good look INSIDE the heater box,  in the engine bay.
this is known for rotting thru at the bottom,and then wata gets into car.
mostly over looked this bit.

you say chassis looks ok,  dont look, bang, wid a big ammer, as this gives a good indication of the steels  health.

look closely around the dip where the drive shaft is, water collects in this dip,and rots it away
Bang chassis all over, and then shake,or turn upside doon, and listen to the rust running aboot,
cut hole in rear end, where tow eyes are,  and stand on end, and bang away some moer,
this will loosen o the scale rust,and it will fall oot the wol that you made.

its a real night mare, but rust in hidden places takes some getting out, its a constant fight,
if any left to carry on playing.   good luck.

M

Hi

The top edge of the outriggers seems flat enough and I simply thinking of trying to straight out the bottom edge. Perhaps welding on a strengthening plate is the way to go? I am also considering fitting new tubes as both bolts were seized into position and required their heads cutting off to enable the bodytub to lift off.

Regards

Bruce

Hmm, I will set the grinder ans wire wheel onto them and see what turns up. If they have not been patched before I will attempt to straighten the bottom edges. I want to avoid changing them if possible as my budget could do without the hit!

Bruce

I spent a few hours this afternoon dismantling the suspension. All the rear end is off, as is one side of the front. The only issue I came across was the bolt passing through the lower offside front trunnion refusing to come out despite a few hefty blows with the lump hammer :( I left it soak with some penetrating oil and will have another go tomorrow. Is the trunnion simply screwed onto the bottom of the vertical link? Anybody got any good tips for their separation?

Regards

Bruce

having just been putting mine on, the wishbone at the bottom has a slightly oval shape to it. If you were to release the ball joint at the top and unscrew the hub/upright assembly away from the trunnion at the bottom you will probable find your able to tap the trunion up and down a small amount to break it free... It is a tight joint and you may find the trunion metal seals have deteriated.

Hi Markus

Actually the chassis is much better condition than I was expecting :). That nasty section on the bodytub was not!!!!! :'( I will be doing your hammer banging suggestion at the weekend when I have it dangling off my crane. ;)

Thanks

Bruce