Mark 3 GT6 restoration - here we go!

Rubce

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7288 wrote:
i had a thread called here we go many moons ago, i think it lasted 3 years, which was about 2 1/2 years longer than i'd planned  :)

Hmmmm, cat afford for it to be off the road that long as it's one of our daily drivers. I am aiming to have it road legal with an MOT for late May as that is when it's my wife's 40th birthday. It's her car and I want to present her with it on her birthday. Time will tell if I achieve that date. A very stiff hill to be climbed between now and then!

Thanks for looking

Bruce

7288 wrote:
i had a thread called here we go many moons ago, i think it lasted 3 years, which was about 2 1/2 years longer than i'd planned  :)

Hmmmm, cat afford for it to be off the road that long as it's one of our daily drivers. I am aiming to have it road legal with an MOT for late May as that is when it's my wife's 40th birthday. It's her car and I want to present her with it on her birthday. Time will tell if I achieve that date. A very stiff hill to be climbed between now and then!

Thanks for looking

Bruce

Hi All

Removed the old clutch bearing off the carrier last night. It's a smaller version of the stag, which meant that none of my press tooling fitted. Ended up sorting it by using a 2 7/8" socket that a friend had. The carrier sat inside it and the bearing rested on the top. One smack with the hammer and the brearing was off. At nearly 3 inches that is the largest impact socket I have ever had reason to use!

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Anthony

I couldn't remember if I had or not so I popped the box back off to check. It turned out I hadn't so one was fitted and the box went back on. 45 minutes late and all was sorted. Would have taken a lot longer to rectify once the car was built!!

Thanks

Bruce

Good man Bruce
Always worth double checking stuff like that

As you said, the extra time taken to check is far less than the time taken to take the gearbox back out again

That's my good deed done for the day...........I'm off to unintentionally break some more stuff on my car

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Been busy welding over bodyshell over the past 7 weeks. I am nearing the end of it with just a few small repairs to sort out on one of the rear wheel arches.

Work done:-

2 x new outer sills
2 x new front closure plates for the outer sills
2 x new rear wing front lower section repair panels
1 x new nearside floorpan
1 x new nearside inner sill
1 x new middle sill (reinforcing plate)
numerous repair patches to wheel arches and radius link bracket mounts etc

Most of the paint has also been removed. I briefly placed the body back on the chassis today so as to drill up through the new floorpan and tack weld on the inner crossmember. Anybody fancy a Deloreon style GT6?

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...