Mark 3 GT6 restoration - here we go!

Rubce

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce, great thread, truly inspiring and full of useful information. I have just taken delivery of my 3rd Gt6, but my first full restoration.
I'm really looking forward to getting back into Triumphs (why did i ever leave) and starting on the rebuild, but I am  apprehensive about welding, ;-) I have really set my heart on doing everything, except the paint myself.  I must say seeing all the hidden rust on your restoration has prepared me (not completely) for some scary surprises. Best of luck. Brett

Quote:
Bruce, great thread, truly inspiring and full of useful information. I have just taken delivery of my 3rd Gt6, but my first full restoration.
I'm really looking forward to getting back into Triumphs (why did i ever leave) and starting on the rebuild, but I am  apprehensive about welding,  I have really set my heart on doing everything, except the paint myself.  I must say seeing all the hidden rust on your restoration has prepared me (not completely) for some scary surprises. Best of luck. Brett

If you have the space, or can time that phase of the restoration with the summer, I would recommend having a go at the painting yourself.

I dont want to start the "Cellulose vs Other paints" war, but it really is easy to work with and provided you lay plenty on, and are good with a rubber sanding pad, damp cloth and t-cut, you can achieve a piano finish. Provided you take the time and prep well of course...

Just a thought. I will look out for your restoration thread.

" provided you lay plenty on, and are good with a rubber sanding pad, damp cloth and t-cut, you can achieve a piano finish. Provided you take the time and prep well of course..."

Just look at the finish on old Rolls Royce cars to see that this is the case.  Fantastic finish, if you put in the effort.
None of that false looking gloss you see with modern finishes, just quality.

I accept that it may not weather as well, so requires care with maintenance, but I feel worth the effort for those wishing perfection.

I only use acrylic now so second best for finish, but similar with less maintenance.  I'm lazy.

7952 wrote:
I find it interesting that you have the smaller brake master cylinder, and the bubble on the bulkhead for the larger reservoir is on the LH side by the hole for the fuse holder like the LH drive cars.
Is it that way for all of the RH drive cars?

Yup that's wot they are like.

Laurence

Hi All

I rebuilt the carbs on Friday afternoon with new seals, spindles, butterfly valves, needle valves, fixed jets, float valves and diaphrams. Getting the fixed jets out was easier than I had imagined it would be.

The headlining was fitted this morning by a chap from Bentley. I had thought about doing this myself but the lack of headlining support bars due to the Webasto concerned me. It even had the trimmer's grey matter working! I am very please with the result and the windscreen fitter is booked for next weekend.

Engine oil and coolant went in this morning so I am not that far away from an engine start up next weekend.

Regards

Bruce

When the car was on the road before, the throttle linkage was very worn which meant that the accelerator pedal would be at least a third of its way along its travel before the carb throttles started to open. One of my friends kindly took the linkage away and manufactured three replacement pins. After installation this evening I tested it and the throttles start to open as soon as you press the accelerator pedal

2806 wrote:
When the car was on the road before, the throttle linkage was very worn which meant that the accelerator pedal would be at least a third of its way along its travel before the carb throttles started to open. One of my friends kindly took the linkage away and manufactured three replacement pins.

That's pretty nice.  I wish somebody would sell these linkage units as replacement/rebuilt units.  When worn, they're not in your average bolt-turner's skill set to repair.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

After my recent bout of illness, work has restarted on the car. Yesterday evening was spent gluing the chrome trim strips to the rear and rear wings. Several bits of wood and some masking tape used to secure it all in place whilst the Tiger Seal dried.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Spent this afternoon working on the car. I had forgotten what a git of a job it is fitting a new handbrake cable through the chassis channels! Got there in the end. Also fitted the passenger door and a few other bits and pieces.

Bruce