Spitfire MKIV Restoration Newbie.

LouisW

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I finally rebuild the front suspension on the passenger side with new bushes, bolts, refurbed calipers, new hoses and grease caps. Was I right in hand tightening the castle nut and then backing off a little bit? No wobble from bearings etc thankfully.

I did notice however that the when I turn the hub, the disk rubs on the pads inside the caliper? I can manually "move" the pads off with my fingers. There is no brake fluid or anything in the system as I've only just put it back together.

Is my TRE correct too? The seal seems a bit "squashed" to this side? Guess it will change when steered? My tracking is way out as well with the wheel straight inside the car too.

The upper ball joint is still loose.I check bearing play with the wheel on gives you more feel, nip it up just enough to take out the play then back off to next castlellation, there should be some play.
Great thread, thanks for all the pics.

Quoted from GT6
The upper ball joint is still loose, I check bearing play with the wheel on gives you more feel.
Great thread, thanks for all the pics.

That's right, when you adjust it Louis you can have that you don't feel any play..
But then when the wheel is on .. you can feel a lot 🤔  

I had tightened the top balljoint after this picture was taken! Needed the threads on the balljoint cleaning with a wire brush. I'll be sure to pop the wheel on and feel for play. Richard - I did add a crease into the sill end plate on the second one I made and it took a lot less longer to do. It still needs tidying up as its a bit messy with my welds but its strong. I'm happy to have made them myself as every little helps!
Thanks again for all the comments.

Louis.

I've finally got her back on four wheels after rebuilding the suspension on the drivers side.

It's nice to have her back like this! Gives me more motivation to keep moving forward but i'm going to uni next week so wont get any chance to play again until Christmas. 🙁

I have also made a start on the rust at the rear radius arm bracket.

Need to plug weld this part in to the boxed section behind.

Well since I last updated I have welded in the rear radius arm bracket and cleaned up the radius arm itself putting in new bolts(Bushes looked fine). I also today welded up the hole near the rotoflex radius arm fitting on the body.

I painted it all black today, and then put underseal on the underside. It doesn't look pretty but I just want to make sure it doesn't rust again. You wont see this anyway under the carpet so not to worry.

I have oiled my trunnions at the front, and checked my wheel bearings and everything seems to be OK.

Looks better than it was before, I'm very happy with this!

I started painting the bonnet too and it's looking more like a car again. I am really happy with the fitment of the bonnet, aswell as the fitment of my valances which I tested today! Those valances are fibreglass aswell and cost me 99p on the Bay  

Also test fitted my bonnet latches which I'm happy to say also fit well.

I also welded up the sheet metal inner of the rear quarters from inside the boot as when I did it, it hadn't been very strong as i'd struggled with the leaning over welding and lack of light. I proceeded to then put tetra schutz on the areas where I have welded (front bulkhead, rear radius arm, boot, inner sills) will this be OK? I had zinc primed first but I felt this just completely sealed any pinholes etc which existed. Was I wrong to do this?It's put my mind at ease really as it's one less thing to worry about and looks much better.

• 3 months later...

Quoted from LouisW
Not updated in a while as im away for uni and only get back at term times.
Here's a quick photoshop of the look im hoping to go towards with the spitfire.
Unsure on the black wheels but i quite like the colour and the stance.

I don't think I would be able to get that out of my garage let alone  drive it on a  road without smashing the underside

Louis,
It is going to take serious chassis frame mods to get the rear down near to that level without obvious negative camber. Alternatively you can go with Rotoflex type rear suspension, but I suspect that too will need some mods to work well when set near that level.
                                                                                                                                                                Cheers,
                                                                                                                                                                Paul

These are low enough as it is, let alone dropping them that far. If you are interested in getting it that low, consider steering, for one, as well as vertical tyre travel. You may want to install airbaga in liu of suspension, as per low-riders over here in the states. Looks like a lot of chassis modifications to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, bit of a bummer of a day today to be honest. I crawled under the car today properly for once with a torch and have seen the full extent of rust.

Fortunately there doesn't seem to be any structural rust underneath, just surface however it's ALL over the rear suspension, chassis, everything.
I also noticed that the diff is moist at the bottom, so leaking some oil?

It's put me down really seeing how bad it is under there and i dont know how to progress from here if i'm honest. Any help would be great. It would be best if i took the body off but i just dont have the space to do this.

Pics:

Its not the surface rust that will give you problems now, its the rust between the panels, where they join.
If you are not going for a frame off-resto, I would take off the complete rear suspension/diff and then get the car up on some better and safer ramps, than the small ones you are using now (bricks, wood etc - bring your friends, and lift it, its not that heavy, when the rear suspension has been removed.

Then its just days (*edit*: Weeks...) of joy ahead with a grinder/what ever. And cleaning. And sealing. And painting ...
You won't be able to do the frame on the top, but use some good wax oil or equal when dry.

And. Don't forget to drill extra drain holes at the lower part of the main chassis rails and the box section behind the diff.

Louis, build a support rack like mine. You can roll it out when you want to work on the car, and store the chassis underneath. Lets you stack them, essentially.
Just be sure to have support rails under the car, and have your doors braced so you don't get your tub sagging.

I just built a rotisserie, and made it the same way. Open on one end so it can fit over the chassis.

Righto' making a start on removing the rear suspension. I am only at home until sunday so won't be able to get that far along but i can atleast get somewhere.

I have made an order list and was wondering if you guys could say whether this is all the right stuff and enough for the rear suspension overhaul?

I am also wondering how to remove the bolts from the drive flange? Do I have to get right under the car as it's quite difficult to reach from just under the arch.

I would avoid new rubber bushes due to quality; reuse old ones if they are not to bad, or buy poly/superflex.
Rear brakes: Shoes, springs, U-clamps for the slave cylinder + dust cap? hold-down-kit and all hand brake parts?
Flat nuts and chock washers for brake hoses? Old ones not good for reuse.
Studs for the spacer block?
If you are taking diff out, you will need 3x jpr303... but make sure they are the correct size (don't know year of your car).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well i've pulled the whole rear of the spit apart, and found that the yolk on one of the flanges on the driveshaft was cracked so this means a new driveshaft... yawn. Going to get the hubs split, check the bearings if OK as the oil catchers had rusted through and im worried water has gone.

I have also dropped the diff which has been wire brushed but still has surface rust. I think the I will replace the front seal on the diff as it's leaking (presumably from this). The oil which came out of it was like honey, and black so will also be replaced!

It's not looking too good under the spit though, dont fancy going under there too much with a grinder though on my back... Advice?

I also split the rear leaf spring apart and started painting it. White, as that's all i had at hand! Oh well, wont be visible once in so that doesn't matter Just need to replace the spacer tubes, bolts and buttons between the leaves.

Not much else going on really as i've been at university. Hope to progress some more over the next few days, but wont be doing anything more for another couple of months unfortunately.

Cheers
Louis