Spitfire MKIV Restoration Newbie.

LouisW

Quoted from thehanko
Great. I bet your mum was chuffed to see it running again. Nice work.

thanks! She was chuffed yeah, not as much as me though :p I love the gt6s and yours is a fine example of one! I've been following your thread thanks for the advice, its always welcome.
Louis

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from LouisW
I found this today... It fell into my oil pan (not when draining oil) and I'm unsure what it is. Some have said its a bonnet cone with the rubber bit gone. Ideas?

Is it make of copper? I think it may be part of a disintegrated solenoid?

• 1 month later...

Fired her up again today and she fired first time! I have a bit of a leaky water pump however which needs renewing. I took the cap off the radiator and about 5 minutes running and the water was still freezing cold in the radiator... surely this isn't normal? I'm pretty sure it's flowing around the engine as the water pump leaks.

I'm doing a full restoration on the front suspension and made an order for all new anti roll bar fixtures and bushings for the suspension and wishbones. Also grinded out the back panel abit more and ordered a repair patch for it.

Used electrolysis on the parts for the suspension and have painted them all up nicely ready to be re-fitted.

I did have problems with the vertical link as the steering arm was seized solid into it. I had to grind it off carefully to avoid any damage to the vertical link which thankfully nothing happened too! I'm still on the look out for a new steering arm though, the bit of bolts still stuck inside it 😆

Still need to remove the engine turrets and get all the chassis nice and cleaned up at the front. Such a pain though as when I'm grinding all the rust off the chassis it goes onto the freshly clean part which then needs wiping down again..Never-ending!

• 2 months later...

I removed the seats, carpets and emptied the boot completely also removing the rear wiring harness in order to not set fire to anything

There is a rusty section at the rear of the floor towards to sill strengthener that will need to be patched up. I also set to removing all the rust on the rear quarter panel and made a patch out of cardboard which will need to be cut in steel and welded on.

I have also included an up to date picture of the car now. More progress to come!

Louis.

Got an rac badge too! AA one in the post

Right guys I've got some questions. I am wanting to clean up the front of the chassis however after getting the "accessible" areas I am unable to get the rust in the other areas. I was thinking about removing the engine in order to do a proper job of removing all the rust from the chassis etc and then re-attach it however I'm wondering how you guys would tackle this? I have no rush but I want to get it done properly and the easiest way possible without needing to return to it at a later date.

Would you guys recommend soda blasting the front of the chassis with the engine in place in order to get to all the rust? If I could avoid lifting the engine that would be great but I just seemed to be getting everything covered in muck when I do bodywork which defeats the whole purpose. How do you guys combat this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Louis.

I do have access to an engine hoist and stand so think this will probably be the best option. I'm contemplating pulling the body as well when I did this but wouldn't really want to fully disassemble all of the wiring at front dash, could I leave this in? I have no problems with the current wiring.  

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a fibreglass bonnet for the spit at the weekend for £60, including headlamps, cowls and latches and collected it yesterday. I am chuffed with the bonnet as a whole as there is no craacking whatsoever and it feels pretty solid. I test fitted it and it fits pretty well however as it has no bonnet locating cones the top sits abit forward away from the door. Is this worth taking off the cones from the old steel bonnet and putting onto the new? I asked on the triumphexperience about bracing and they recommended fibreglassing in supports instead of using the metal bracing from the old. Do you agree?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got all parts back onto the firewall after cleaning up everything aswell as fitting the carbs which have been polished up and the airbox cleaned. Also refitted.the arb with new parts and bushes for paddocks. I'm getting there, and its certainly better than it was before!
Comparison pics :

Vs

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the reply! The spit will be staying in primer for a long time and with it being zinc phosphate it is non porous and pretty hard wearing so thought I would mount the parts for the mean time. When I  get enough cash to afford a top coat it will all be coming back off, but I think it had been in pieces for long enough and I needed some motivation! 😀

Nice to hear from you, how's everything going with your spitfire? Mk3 isn't it?

Louis.

Ah it's all clear now 😉
good idea, as you see it progressing, it will keep you motivated, plus even in primer it will look a lot better than it did!
The mk3 is on a go slow (as in full stop) while I do work in the house.
I am off to stonleigh in search for all the panels I need, then when I return I will crack on with it! (yipeeee) 🙂

Cheers

Quoted from Sheepy
Ah it's all clear now 😉
good idea, as you see it progressing, it will keep you motivated, plus even in primer it will look a lot better than it did!
The mk3 is on a go slow (as in full stop) while I do work in the house.
I am off to stonleigh in search for all the panels I need, then when I return I will crack on with it! (yipeeee) 🙂

Cheers

I hope to get down to Stoneleigh when the spitfires running and I've passed my driving test to pick up some parts! Hopefully that's soon

I just ordered a new water pump and door handle gaskets for the spit so hopefully will get them fitted and will progress a bit further with sorting the cooling out. I ordered new cooling hoses before but the whole system was still very rusty, any tips to cleaning? I'm thinking filling with vinegar then flushing LOTS with a hose.

Can anyone help me with how the heater valve works aswell? I recently cleaned it all and unseized it but I'm unsure specifically how it works. Any help with this is also welcome.

Thanks alot,
Louis.