• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4058 wrote:
and now i begin the bonnet!

its not easy trying to lift it and fit it on your own!   ;D

Hi shaun,

Nice to see the progress , i dint do very much the last weeks .
helped a friend with a vw beetle (Yellow SunBug from Mexico  1983)  :o

my mechanic's a nearly done , just need to put the rocker cover back on , the exhaust , carb's ..
Just put some new underseal  on my front wheel arches , we've got massive work to do on the wheel arches of the bonnet so .. sand the car and co .. now i want is just good weather .. so i can prep it for paint  :P but we've got a long way to go ..
I've been sick also, my neck was blocked 2weeks ago ..
New brake and fuel lines  are in place  ;)
So... i hope to see your spitfire some day   ;)
And also i ex- teacher off mine has a mini from 1989 , he did come over to look al my spit last weekend  ;)

Kind regards Wim

Hey Wim,

Sounds like you have been busy with your spitty, until your neck started to hurt! (I know how you feel, I have 2 herniated discs, go to chiro once a month, so it's getting better)

Minis, reminds me when I was a teen, had so many of them! That's another story!  ;)

Cheers
Shaun

4058 wrote:
Hey Wim,

Sounds like you have been busy with your spitty, until your neck started to hurt! (I know how you feel, I have 2 herniated discs, go to chiro once a month, so it's getting better)

Minis, reminds me when I was a teen, had so many of them! That's another story!  ;)

Cheers
Shaun

hi shaun,

I have not been busy the last two weeks on my spit , yesterday i was going to take a look at it after a week or two .. (Spit stands at my uncle's place  :P there we have a garage for two cars for the restoration).

At home my brothers Pilgrim Sumo ( AC Cobra replica) stand in the garage (unfinised)  :-/ , and outside an orange Raw Striker (Lotus Super seven replica) With toyota 1600 20 Valve (170pk)  ;D
So we have a weekness for british cars  :P my uncle has had in the 70 and 80's a triumph TR6 And an MK2000 Saloon  ;D

Kind regards Wim

5761 wrote:
Thank you for saving this Spitfire Shaun, you're doing a wonderful job on it !

Alex

Thanks Alex,

It does feel good to keep another old car alive, alot of people would say it's not worth it, you can buy another for less, but this car has sentimental value for my friend, they have owned it for a long time and have driven all over Europe in her.

Plus the body was in quite good condition, so was not ready for the car park in the sky!
She will be nice once finished (are they ever finished?)  ;)

Cheers
Shaun

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry all,
the updates have been a little slow lately, so much on at the moment, spitfire, house, work etc etc, so in the evening i sit down and cant be bothered to go and switch on the p.c. (cant upload photos from the i.pad)

so here are some more piccy's

started on the bonnet, the tub is nearly finished, but was waiting for the front re inforcing bracket to come, it was on back order everywhere. now one came the other week, and sod's law a second one has now arrived! ;D

also had to remove the dent just at top of wing support panel (middle of first picture) the wing top was flat at that point so i had to unstitch the panels, re shape it and weld them all back up again, feels good when it works good!

cheers
shaun

Nice work Shaun!

I've just pocket around my bonnet wheel arches ... some rot spots  :-/
So i have some extra work  :) and some more filler work also  :-/

I wanted to call you, but i've also been busy  ;D

Have you seen the photo's of my spit outside ?

Kind regards  Wim

• 1 month later...

Shaun being rather busy knocking down walls I thought I might post some.
It seems that i am not the only one who has put some dents in the old girl, when we stripped the nose Shaun found heaps of lead and this.

Now What next?
Shall we just flatten down and again lead or filler? Or are there repair pannels available?
I Also have the Mk3 bonnet, but do not really want to cut that part out, it would be only mean that Shaun has to repair that one later on...
With all the lead she looked lik this, not too bad, so perhaps we can get away with a bit of panel beating and filler?

Dirk

That picture brings back memories Dirk.
My "Mk 1'" had a nose like that for many years, shortened in and contoured with filler.
Even had the multiple welds.
When I retired and did not require the Spit for daily use, I decided to repair the nose.

Mack, on  this site at the time, kindly took photos of his bonnet nose from above and from the side, to give me an idea of the correct contour.  Mine was about 1 1/2" short.
This meant that the radiator grill surround was also back a similar amount, as it appears to be in yours.
Asked many people the best approach, including panel beaters and considered the suggestion of  cutting the flat return between the surround and the nose, close to the surround, pulling the bonnet and surround to the correct position, beating to shape and re-joining but settled for pulling to shape without the cutting using plates bolted to the flat section.
(Getting the holes for the lettering the correct distance from the nose is a good guide to the contour.)

All good fun and I'm happy with the result.  Maximum of 2mm of filler anywhere, in spite of the welds and the brass that had been put in the seams.  

This bonnet had had a hard life by the time I got it.

I do have pictures, which I will re-size and post if you are interested.

[quote=junkuser

I do have pictures, which I will re-size and post if you are interested.[/quote]

Am I understanding you correct that it would seem that the radiator surround has been pushed back as well? How far should it be in? Would this be the same as on the Mk3?
If you would have pictuers that would be great.

The absense of lettering on my bonnet and the surround that seemed to been painted with underseal first already gave us a clue that it probably had had a knock sometime, but that you can hide unflattened welding beads and wrinkles below a coat of shiny paint. Still the lead seems to indicate that it was professionally done and not a home job.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Tomorrow is the big day

Collected the Car from Shaun yesterday and loaded it on a trailer
Tomorrow we're off to Pro-strip for a juvinating bath...

Some Pictures

Shaun had it all prepared on an Elf and Saffy-ty approved scaffolding ;D ;D
Backed the trailer under it and secured