Mk2 restoration

byakk0

just before leaving Shaun was amendent that we should start coating the chassis, this way the paint has time to dry and fully harden before we start putting things back onto it.
First we gave it one more full coat of Zinc Primer, inside and out. The inside was coated using an underseal gun with a 50 cm extention hose ( just dont kink it when spraying or it will back fire  ;D ;D -->now shaun is Rust proof ;D )
Before applying the paint we got some more residue from the dipping process out, thats the dust you see on one of the pictures.

On top of the zinc came another primer and then Satin black 2 pack paint.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Time for a long awaited update,

Not much progress of late, due to work, holidays, etc etc, generally life getting in the way.

But this afternoon we began to assemble the front suspension, so at least we started progressing.

Hopefully my apprentice Dirk will post up some pictures once he has cleaned the garage a little,   :P

We need one or two parts from the mk3, Damm I will have to start a thread on that now!  ;) ;)

4058 wrote:
Time for a long awaited update,

Not much progress of late, due to work, holidays, etc etc, generally life getting in the way.

But this afternoon we began to assemble the front suspension, so at least we started progressing.

Hopefully my apprentice Dirk will post up some pictures once he has cleaned the garage a little,   :P

We need one or two parts from the mk3, Damm I will have to start a thread on that now!  ;) ;)

Thats good news ! Hope to see pictures soon  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Also stripped the dust gaiters from the steering rack and ordered some new one,
From all the parts i ordered the only ones that are holding back progress are those gaiters, so now let guess which ones are on back order  >:( >:(
on the picture below you can hopefully spot the wear at the "straight ahead"position on the rack, (7th and 8th tooth counting from left on the picture) Consulted my mechanic and he seems to think that it is still not worth the expense to change.

Wouldn't trust that welded track rod  ??)

Rimmers and others sell recon ones:
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-129961R
(But Paddock sell a recon steering rack for £35+vat, others have the same for sure)...
I bought a LHS from him a few years ago.

It lasted for so long, but now you know it's there you will always be thinking of it! (and me when I'm in the car with you!)
Replace it, then you will have peace of mind, and I can sit back and enjoy being chauffeured about!  ;D

Don't wnt you to be sitting next to me and worrying about anything else but my gear change :-) :-) :-)
Btw adjusted the clutch on the renown ,had to take one counter nut off and am'now on the last dregs of the clutch. Working fine now, just hope it last. Avround trip to the lake district next month

Dirk,
One thing that helps when there is on center wear is to put the pinion back in upside down. That way at least the worn spot on the pinion isn't at the center anymore.
                                                                                                Cheers,
                                                                                                Paul

Hi Paul
I was traveling so did not check the forum.
OK thanks that seems to be a good idea, it has to come apart to replace the track rod anyway.

good news is that Canley will change the wrong Stub axles for other ones, It would seem that mine are early Mk3's. The change over happened while Mk2 were still made, see their quoted text below.
<<Quote
Towards the very end of Spitfire MKII production the design of vertical
link, stub axle, and steering arm, changed to that of the later cars
(Spitfire MKIII onwards). The change point is random.

The later Spitfires used this stub axle;

http://www.canleyclassics.com/searchforapart/?desc=&ptno=ukc697

Send back for exchange no problem.

In future order front suspension parts for a Spitfire MKIII it makes things
simpler!
Quote>>

• 3 months later...

:'((dissappointed)
there are no further progress pic's.
Summer (as in season to drive my other triumphs) and Life got in the way,
The chassis is still standing proud in the garage with the new steering rack and the sub's ready to be mounted.
The only thing that has happened to it is that ever so often I pick up the dolly and hammer and work a bit on straightening the bonnet.

However Life that got in the way is not necessary a bad thing, as we are erecting a new garage, and my tool cupboards finally have been installed.

So on the bright side, we are almost ready to start afresh

Dirk