Mk2 restoration

byakk0

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and that should have completed the welding!
My task now is to clean all welds up and respray the welding areas with fresh primer. Plus spray all the inside panels that the original painter has missed.

Shaun in the mean time get busy with that other milestone, removing the braces that kept the body and door openings in shape while the repairs were going on.

• 1 month later...

It's all now stripped and cleaned, and inspected.

In generally excellent condition, but it was from my mk3 and that has not done too many km's
The bearings were a little gooed up from being sat for so long, so all will be replaced.
The parts came from canleys (thanks Dave) so I can now replace all the bearings etc.

7801 wrote:
Looking great! Looks forward to seeing the progress, that's a good design for the brace to keep all the gaps spot on.

C'mon Shaun, crack a smile (first picture!) haha :)

you know i cant do that! you will think im friendly  ;)

Aroused horse??? Did you see aroused horses when you visited him? Blimey, and I have to drive the 10CR with him sitting next to me!

still,
The body has been send to the bodyshop, initially we were going to spray her our self except for the final topcoat, but with time being a bit of an issue and the body shop having a gap in their planning it was decided that they will do the whole thing.

After cleaning up all the welds all the seams were coated with "Frameto", basically it is an acid that bounds to the rust making inert molecules. It is fairly liquid so by putting it onto the seams I hope that the product will have run down and created a protective layer where no paint will reach.

While the interior was coated in Wurth Zinc coating.
I also applied a coat to the back of the panels with a sponge "roller" Not that the finish will be great but I think it needs the coating more than it does the cosmetics and can not really thrust that the body shop will devote enough time and effort to have all panels sealed from both sides

Because we initially planned to do the painting in the garage I had constructed a DIY spraybooth to keep the dust away.
It consisted of a layer of plastic sheet running from the floor up the back wall and then on the underside of the "spare parts Mezzanine "completed with a flap to the front and 2 more to the side.
for ventilation I was to use my dust extractor which in normal use takes care of the wood shavings and dust when using my wood combine.
Oh and a respiration mask with chemical active carbon filters (courtesy of my employer LOL )

Ideally I would have loved to add some more coating but with my time off nearly over we had to transport the car to the bodyshop.
If all goes well and he keeps his promises the painting will be finished in -now- 4 weeks time, giving Shaun and myself the chance to get the chassis build up as a rolling chassis

looking awfully small on the trailer.

At the body shop
It is in good company,
the reason he had a gap for us on such  short notice is that he just finished this bugatti, not that he is specialized in classic cars, but he generally has one ongoing as a "side project" of the Bread and butter tinwork for insurance companies

The dents are out the bonnet, it is still a bit lopsided though, a bit like your mouth feels when you had a teeth pulled  ;D

It will need some filler on the return. One side is fuller, or more rounded if you want, than the left hand side

It is satisfying to see the project moving forward, nothing better than a good solid deadline LOL

I have also bought the Vinyl and soundproofing etc from Woolies. I already had some carpets. The other vinyl panels (door, back, above the wheel arches..) will have to wait until funds permit, as i expect some more will be needed for all these odds and ends.

Mike has also organized the gearbox pick up for me (getting a habit this).
It is an overdrive box but it never worked properly, when you had too much torque it would just not up shift, and then it started vibrating when engaging OD. Which apparently is a sign of the clutch cone breaking up. So in for a penny in for a pound and it will find his way to Overdrive Spares for a full rebuild. mind you, the price quoted is about half of what i paid for the Renown box, go figure...

D