Mk2 restoration

byakk0

Thanks for the comments chaps, it's nice to recieve them. But I don't pretend to be a professional, I just enjoy doing it.

Yes unfortunately we do suffer a wee bit of wet weather over this side of the earth, not like down there, where it's mostly nice and warm/dry (although I know some parts get wet)
We nearly moved out there (got married on magnetic island) then things changed and we stayed here, but hey that's another story.  ;)

Yes Jason, I have seen so many "restoration" that have had many corners cut, I would
rather take longer to do it and have it correct than to save some time cutting corners or covering things up, then it come back and get you later.  >:(

I have just started cutting out the rot in the front of the sill, and it was mostly fiberglass again, (although I do love the smell of f.glass)

So, I've had my lunch, and now I'm back off into the garage.
Thanks again
Shaun

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so a little more progress today, cut off the old sills, and front corner above the out rigger as it was all rotten.

when we went to uk collecting parts, we also got two new outriggers, just in case (cheers Rob) and as it turned out, there was a small hole in the outrigger, and it was a little rotten behind it on the chassis, so i cut off the old one and welded on the new one.

the floor on this side (drivers side over here) is actually solid, it just needed a small piece about an inch fixing, so that was nice supprise, the sills were also not too bad, but just on the edge of going, so better to replace  than patch up.

and another one for smithy!

i finally captured a photo of the illusive cyberman.

(to give you all a laugh, i set the camera to timer, then as it went off, i was pulling a face and growling bahind the mask,like any one can see or hear)  silly fool   ;D
i could not stop laughing at what i did.

cheers
shaun

time to cut out the rot, clean it up and weld in a new piece.

then make up a new piece for the outside, i used 2 mm steel for strength, also you will see i modified the possition of the drainage holes,made them lower so they let out more water, as thats why they were rotten, due to the water sitting in the lower corner.

its amazing how much remidial work the so called "heritage original"panels need to fit correct.

i spent ages modifying and re shaping the front edge of the outer sill to get it to fit correct. and the rear wing leading edge at the door will also need some work, as the gaps are not excellent, and the wing fits good at inner arch and rear edge, so its not that at fault. the door is fully forward also. (oh the joy of old spitfires)

cheers
shaun

Well, the sills are now done, I also fitted the rear wing, and the front sill edge infill panel,
Need to finish off grinding and smoothing.

The rear wing was a bit of a nightmare, needed tweaking and sorting, but I got it done in the end, then I clopped my head, and had a huge headache come on, so came in for a couple of hours lay down, don't panic all, I'm ok now.  :)

So tomorrow I will take pictures, and I start on the rear panel, and boot floor.

Cheers
Shaun

Hi Sheepy, been following your thread with some interest 'cos I have a mk2 in similar condition. the only serious work it's needed in the 8-9 yrs of my ownership is new floors.

However, the panel that runs over the diff between the  rear inner wings is not good (in fact it's shit really!!) have you had to do anything with yours as I understand you can't get them now?

Cheers

hi beans, thanks for that, but i have also seen your work, great looking car.

mikey, i started welding when i was about 15,(nearly 25 years ago) then also owning many many rusty old cars, as i could only afford crappy ones, you end up learning to weld, to get them through the mot. i find the secret is to get good preperation, weld to good metal, dont try to weld rust, it does not look good and is weak, take time make it good solid metal, then the welds are great.
my insiration to do work like this is because of the one person i look up to, he is a perfectionist in his work, he is my best mate and my hero. my dad.
(ok guys dont cry)

cheers
shaun

molsmagic,

i took some pictures of the diff/boot panel, luckily there is very little rust, just one small hole at one side, so i will need to repair that.
What looks like rust at the seam, is just where the sealer is, I removed the sealer and it's solid.
how bad are yours?

cheers
shaun