Mk2 restoration

byakk0

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Still progress was not as we would have liked, it was a while since i ordered the parts for the car, and I thought I had ordered all bolts and nuts needed, unfortunately we were missing quite a bit of nyloc nuts, so online to order urgently whatever was missing.

• 2 weeks later...

and last for now, the color sample of the "signal Red" SWMBO has chosen as final topcoat.
The bumper iron next to it is the original color, a bit darker than the new color.
The printed pictures he handed to me show just a little bit of filler to smoothen the curves. Good hopes for final result!

Quoted from Sheepy
Ooh exciting times!

Will have to buy some covers, and that low tack blue tape to protect the edges etc. when we start putting her back together!

Yes and you'll need to wear kid gloves 🙂

Exciting times indeed and it is going to look stunning. A good colour choice.

4058 wrote:
Ooh exciting times!

Will have to buy some covers, and that low tack blue tape to protect the edges etc. when we start putting her back together!

Yes and you'll need to wear kid gloves  :)

Exciting times indeed and it is going to look stunning. A good colour choice.

Quoted from stevegt6
Doesn't seem to be anything bracing the body-tub..?

All the welding has been completed and sills are now solid, so I would hope you do not need any bracing at this stage...... lets hope
The original cross was welded on the body so had to be removed before the painting and finishing. Shaun's Mk2 version now bolts on.

D

8735 wrote:
Doesn't seem to be anything bracing the body-tub..?

All the welding has been completed and sills are now solid, so I would hope you do not need any bracing at this stage...... lets hope :o
The original cross was welded on the body so had to be removed before the painting and finishing. Shaun's Mk2 version now bolts on.

D

• 4 weeks later...

some more job done today.
one step forward and 2 back....
today went to install the stub axles and the front brakes.
installation went OK, the stub axles were the correct type this time, so installation was just a matter of bolting up and sliding the bearing in.

some more job done today.
one step forward and 2 back.... :(
today went to install the stub axles and the front brakes.
installation went OK, the stub axles were the correct type this time, so installation was just a matter of bolting up and sliding the bearing in.

then I went on to the brakes,

I bought a full nut and bolt kit " Spitfire in a box" which should include all bolts and nuts as used on the spit.
Brake caliper mounting bolts were not included, so i had to re-use the old ones.
One had been  cross threaded, but in the kit was one suitable but too long, still with a hacksaw we were still on the move.
Same subject, the castellated nuts to tighten up the front bearings were also not included in the kit.

still with the brakes on I went on to install the brake pads, and then it went wrong.
The right hand caliper is broken, the mounting / retaining pin for the brake pads sits through 2 holes, the top one is broken.

then I went on to the brakes,

I bought a full nut and bolt kit " Spitfire in a box" which should include all bolts and nuts as used on the spit.
Brake caliper mounting bolts were not included, so i had to re-use the old ones.
One had been  cross threaded, but in the kit was one suitable but too long, still with a hacksaw we were still on the move.
Same subject, the castellated nuts to tighten up the front bearings were also not included in the kit.

still with the brakes on I went on to install the brake pads, and then it went wrong.
The right hand caliper is broken, the mounting / retaining pin for the brake pads sits through 2 holes, the top one is broken.

now the question is
is this acceptable?
Should i buy new calipers?
Can I lock it in position with liquid metal or some epoxy?

If i have to buy new, would it be worth upgrading to " 14" instead of the now 12's? is it feasable to upgrade, or is the whole mounting pattern different?

now the question is
is this acceptable?
Should i buy new calipers?
Can I lock it in position with liquid metal or some epoxy?

If i have to buy new, would it be worth upgrading to " 14" instead of the now 12's? is it feasable to upgrade, or is the whole mounting pattern different?