thehanko

I'm in the process of building a mk 3 Gt6 which is not to far from being back on the road.

Its a charcoal metallic Grey exterior with black carpets and seats.

My first through was a black roof lining but am thinking this might be too much, But on the other hand a silver or white roof lining might be so contrasted to the black that it looks out of place...

Apparently its not the most fun to fit and at £100 a pop i dont want to choose poorly.

So Fellow Triumphs what do you suggest?

P.S what are the places who make them? I'm currently planning to use paddocks.

Paddocks
Rimmers
Newton Comm

I had the same conundrum. My car came with a black headlining, black seats and black carpet. It was like driving around in a cave. Normally I appreciate the details and design choices that Triumph made, but in this case, they were bonkers.

So I decided to fit a white headlining like most seventies cars had. The white vinyl headlining from Newton Commercial turned out to be just that, white smooth vinyl with a hint of fake cow hide pattern. I'm sure it's easy to wipe clean, but I hated it. So out of curiosity I ordered the Silver Longhorn. It couldn't be really silver, I figured. And I was right. It isn't silver, it's white with the correct fabric pattern. It was easy to fit (that is to say it has no more wrinkles than the owner) and looks perfect. In fact, you don't notice it, which is more than I can say about the black headlining.

Incidentally Triumph dropped the black headlining option in the Mk3, presumably because customers felt they were driving a pillbox.

Yeah my first thought was black... as everything else is but as the other half of the world quickly pointed out to me I am not a fashion designed for a reason - i spin spanners, she chooses colours. so black is quite rightly looking unlikely.

Ive finally seen a close up of the longhorn silver and I know what you mean about the pattern - it is very 70's and im not sure if im 100% convinced on the look but if like you say it is so right it just disappears from conscious view then that's fine.

Im now also tempted by the option of making my own - I was a erhem seamstress of sorts for a few years so have considered buying rooflining material and sewing my own so i have a full choice of colours, Thinking a light grey perhaps.

Here is the best i can do pics wise at the moment, its had a ground up rebuild that i cant claim to have done alot of as i bought it unfinished in bits and am trying to complete it over the next few months. I am working hard to complete the remainder to the same high standard its been done to so far.

Nick_Moore wrote:
I had the same conundrum. My car came with a black headlining, black seats and black carpet. It was like driving around in a cave. Normally I appreciate the details and design choices that Triumph made, but in this case, they were bonkers.

So I decided to fit a white headlining like most seventies cars had. The white vinyl headlining from Newton Commercial turned out to be just that, white smooth vinyl with a hint of fake cow hide pattern. I'm sure it's easy to wipe clean, but I hated it. So out of curiosity I ordered the Silver Longhorn. It couldn't be really silver, I figured. And I was right. It isn't silver, it's white with the correct fabric pattern. It was easy to fit (that is to say it has no more wrinkles than the owner) and looks perfect. In fact, you don't notice it, which is more than I can say about the black headlining.

Incidentally Triumph dropped the black headlining option in the Mk3, presumably because customers felt they were driving a pillbox.

Can you please post a pic of your roof?

Cheers
Ben

Voted silver,

If you went for black it would be reminesent of Disaster Areas spaceship in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Quote:
[zaphod] The weird colour scheme freaks me. Every time I try to operate one of these weird black controls, a small black light lights up in black to let you know you've done it. Is it some kind of Galactic hyper hearse?

Voted BLACK - simply because I like a little mystery!!

Just installed a black headlining into my Mimosa Mk3 and although, I agree, it's a bit like being in the Bat Cave (black leather and carpet too), it works for me....

Mind you I haven't got the carpet in yet. It took me ages to work up enough courage to install the headlining, which when I actually got round to it, wasn't that bad. Plenty of clamps, a very warm garage, lots of time and a big portion of patience. Remembering the old addage - measure twice, cut once.

Good luck.

John

michael_charlton wrote:
or you could do what a mate of mine did back in the `70s.....

....when he painted the whole of his house sitting room black.....walls and ceiling...............then painted silver stars all over the walls and ceiling ... ;D

I was going to suggest a think black headlining, with lots of little holes in it, and a light behind it.

You could if very clever actually make it an accurate representation of the night sky overhead your home.

How cool would that be, you could go star-gazing from the comfort of the GT6.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, So its not strictly traditional but neither is the body colour, This car is a nut and bolt rebuilt but i figure if i'm not having a factory body colour I can go a non factory roof lining.

I picked up some light grey - premium quality wool lining which will have a warm soft look to it.

pics to follow once ive worked out how to do it lol.

The body colour is a toyota grey for those who asked.

[quote=3106]

7330 wrote:
I picked up some light grey - premium quality wool lining which will have a warm soft look to it.

I would be interested in a fabric headliner as opposed to vinyl.  Where did you find it?

HI Mate,

Mine is this one http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1010-all-wool-headlining.aspx its not cheap compare to a ready made vinyl kit, but i think it will be superb.

I'm likely to have bought more than i needed - quite likely twice as much. do you want me to keep you in the loop?

Cheers
Ben