JimEB

Hello  :)

As you may or may not know already, I've got to replace the 13" tyres on my PI, which leads to the inevitable change to 14" or 15" rims.

Here's a simple poll to see what common opinion is!

I've asked a couple of wheel refinishers for costs to blast/powder coat old Stag 14" steels, and it appears that the going rate is £40/wheel. Is this reasonable?

;)

piman wrote:
Hello Jim,

"As you may or may not know already, I've got to replace the 13" tyres on my PI, which leads to the inevitable change to 14" or 15" rims."

Why is it inevitable?

Alec

Hi Alec,

Because I can't find quality 185R13 tyres (my PI is a daily driver) and I don't want to run 185/70R13s, which are also becoming scarce...

:)

I use 185/70/13s on the rally MK1 and there is quite a vast choice of tyres some better than others. You would not notice the difference either with a 70 profile.

Take a look on http://www.mytyres.co.uk. Even the good makes... Vredestein, Continental, Hankook, Kumho etc etc are only about £60ish a corner.

I use Kumho or Dunlop or Pirelli Rally tyres which are superb for handling stopping etc and the road noise covers up all those annoying rattles, although there is some debate about them being stamped with 'For competition use only' which to me indicates that you should drive everywhere flat out once they are fitted. No change there then.

Cheers
Dazzer

I had cause to use these guys earlier this year - great service, really helpful and when the wheel came back, it was superb,
http://www.pristinealloywheels.co.uk/

They charged 60 quid I think to refinish a polished alloy wheel and I wouldn't hesitate to give them more work.

Paul

570 wrote:
I use 185/70/13s on the rally MK1 and there is quite a vast choice of tyres some better than others. You would not notice the difference either with a 70 profile.

I did notice the difference with my old MkII PI Estate. 70 profile gave more acceleration but felt like running out of revs at the top.

I recall someone stating; that the old 185 x 13 tyres were actually around 82% profile, not 80%.

Thanks all for your interest - it's been fascinating getting your views  :)

Revvies are certainly attractive, but since my car is my daily driver, I'm not massively keen on polished portions on alloys... I could do without frequent refurbishing costs!

arrgh!  

I can share my experiences though - on the PI I ran a set of 14" wheels with 195/70/14  - massive improvement over 13's.

Tried them succesfully on the Stag too (although that would have had 14's as standard anyway).

Eventually with the Stag I traded up to 195/65/15 on Cosmics, the improvement in wet/dry roadholding and general driving experience was another massive step improvement.

I would never contemplate going back to 13"    :)

• 1 month later...