Engine vibration in a 1500 Herald

mpbarrett

I have recently changed the engine in my Herald from a 1500 to a less oil leaky 1500 but with a stage 2 head (think its been gas flowed a bit but have never understood what stage 2 actually means..). It has a tubular manifold into a straight pipe with a back box. This is the same as the previous engine. Its running twin SU's.
The engine is fine nice smooth tick over with no nasty noises.
But I am getting  lots of vibration thru the car from about 1700 to 2300 rpm, bad enough to make the car uncomfortable to drive.
Don't think its anything in the engine but am not sure if its coming from the exhaust, maybe it just hitting a natural resonance or whether something else is going on? Did start to wonder if the fly wheel was loose but nothing changes if the I use the clutch.

Any suggestion welcome.

BTW the exhaust is very noisy and I probably need to fit a centre box to the exhaust but am unsure whats best for a 1500 Herald.

cheers
mike

Richard_B wrote:
Find a clear road, get up to speed and put the car in neutral. while coasting does the vibration stay?

Yes its not the drive train, if I put it into neutral and drop the revs the vibration geos away, comes  back when the rev get to 1700.

thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

cheers
mike

Great, thanks for all the suggestions.
I did disconnect the fan belt but it made no difference to the vibration.
It has a new clutch (plate and pressure plate). Operating the clutch makes no difference to the vibration.
The exhaust is essentially the same but I have put in a new short section with a boss for a wide band sensor, which is in the pipe. I finally have everything to inject it... once I get rid of the vibration...
I think it is to do with the exhaust I am going to try clamping the exhaust half way down the pipe (change the pipe resonance ) and see if it effects the vibration.
Will try it over the weekend, was going to do tomorrow but have decided to go down to London Model Engineering and drawl over the models and toys instead of playing cars :)

cheers
mike

The exhaust should have a clamp from the enging/gearbox joint.

Does sound to me like it could be touching the chassis somewhere. Make sue you have 1/2" clearance on the whole exhaust run.

Worn mounts allowing the engine & exhaust to move?

It's not a wheel barrow exhaust is it?  :X

Richard_B wrote:
The exhaust should have a clamp from the enging/gearbox joint.

Does sound to me like it could be touching the chassis somewhere. Make sue you have 1/2" clearance on the whole exhaust run.

Worn mounts allowing the engine & exhaust to move?

It's not a wheel barrow exhaust is it?  :X

not a wheel barrow had one on my gt6 horrid thing...
The herald has a tubular exhaust manifold in to a large pipe to a single read box that might be from a vittesse. The exhaust is only supported at the rear box (rubber mountings at both ends of the rear box.
Will try putting a fixing between the exhaust and the engine/gearbox.
Think it is clear of the chassis but will check.
It has new engine mounts but looking yesterday they do seem to deformed a lot. I think I have a pair of nos so might fit those instead.

cheers
mike

Fixed!
one of the new engine mounts had come unbonded, it looked slightly lower than it should be but when i took it off it came competely apart. looking at the metal part you can see that it was only bonded over about 30% of the area so I guess it was weak and came apart.
Not sure where it came from (had it in my stock of parts) otherwise I would sent it back to the supplier.

thanks for all the helpful suggestion.

mike