Davemate

Dave

don't forget that there were a few different original sizes.

I run 205/65 at the moment, and also did when I had Gertie, not any real clearamce issues, but have twatted the arch a couple of times when reversing over bumps with lots of lock on.

Big balloon tyres.. :-) Perhaps slightly oversize.....

lots of TR6;s have 195/55 on them. I have a set of 205/55 to fit next.

That price seems very very good for Michelins, must be a cheap/common size off a Focus or Mondeo or something.. You can pay that for Chinese ditch-finders in some other near sizes.

Where were you shopping?? looks like some sort of warehouse.

Cheers

Colin

I have 195/65 on mine — but only because I told the guy in Kwikfit the wrong size. Think they were about 20 quid each cheaper in that size when I realised my mistake and checked online.

I was more than happy with 185s I had on before that — don't think you need anything really wide.

3762 wrote:
Look here for tyre wheel combinations.

http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/?page=tyre.htm

70 profile is the closest match to original 6.5/13 tyres on 195/15's

70 profile ----not if you change the new wheel size to 15" (which is my new wheel size)  ;)

50 or 55,just under or just over  :-/

50 = half an inch under
55 = three quarters of an inch over
That's total diameter

Colin,
         I am trying to keep the speedo hopefully reading correct(ish)
So it's the wheel/tyre diameter that I am trying to match and not the tyre width.
I am guessing that all the 13" tyres had the same profile no mater what the width was.
Still not sure whether to go with 195 or 205 but may well settle on a 50 profile,I think !

CRAJ wrote:
Original tyre size in a radial for mk1 2000 was 175/13 which is virtually a 175/80/13.
As DJBHarvey and others have said the closest is 195/60/15 (not 50 series as shown in the original picture).

Colin.

Useing the link to "minty lambs" tyre thing,
the nearest size to a 80 profile tyre on a 13" rim,
is a 50 or 55 profile on a 15" rim
If you click the link in spiders post it has the current wheel size set to 13" and the compare sized wheel is also 13" !! If you change the compare wheel size to 15" then a 60 profile is way to big
Or am I missing something ?  :-/
If I am go up 2" in rim size so I must surely decrease the wall hight by 2"

thescrapman wrote:
Do all Mk1 have the same speedo internal gearing?

Dave

What you need to do it go out in the car and see how inaccurate the speedo is to start with, then buy tyres that will reduce that inaccuracy.

Are you changing the gearbox?? THat will upset it as well posibley.

Cheers

Colin

Colin the car is a manual with overdrive,I have no intention of changing anything I just want to keep the speedo reading ok.
I suppose as you said I should take it for a drive and see how far out it is and then choose.only I need new tyres for the mot !

thescrapman wrote:

1) comparing to an original 185/82-13 then a 195/65-15 is near identical.

a 175/82-13 compares to a 195/60-15

2) I have some 185-15's at home you could try... :-)

1) useing minty lambs thing
155x82x13
An exact match(diameter) is
155x55x15
But it seems when you increase the width of the wheel and tyre up to 195 it's not  :-/

2) when I am ready for my mot I might take you up on that offer  :)

As mentioned the speedos are notoriously inaccurate even with the correct spec everything in place. Low down they are there or there about's but above 60 you will always be on the lower side of whatever the speedo says.

I've checked this with an accurate brantz trip. 80 on a standard speedo is approx 71 in real time, 90 on the speedo is just shy of 80 etc. Lower down on the scale 30 is about 30 so you're not going to get any speeding fines.

Cheers
dazzer

When I first got the Herald the speedo was reading 10mph over all the way through the range and what with me being new to the car I was sticking to the limits religiously. You can imagine the joy that gave other drivers. ;D

How easy are the speedos to swap? Try it in another car? At least that way if it needs calibrating/repairing you can get it done whilst you're working on it.

MikeyB wrote:
thought it looked familiar!

Costco prices are usually pretty keen but you are limited to Michelin (and more recently one other big brand that I can't remember!)

And all of their staff are trained in tyre fitting etc by Michelin trainers who report to me ;)

From our 1981 technical data book a 185R14 XAS as recommended Michelin fitment at the time
had a static laen radius of 293 mm and an overall diameter of 650mm if fitted to the preferred rim for the tyre of 5.5" width.

A 195/65 R 15 has a static laden radius of between 288 and 294 dependent upon which pattern and an overall diameter of 645mm when fitted to a preferred 6" rim.

A 195/50R15 has the SLR of 265mm and OD of 585.

Please note that the actual dimensions from different manufacturers may not be the same as they meet a standard laid down by the ETRTO which allows some tolerance.

Having said all that, yes the 195/65R15 looks the way to go to me :)

You're so right about the tolerance from manufacturer to manufacturer albeit the same tyre size. You notice this when using an accurate trip on rallies. It can be measured in fractions of a mile between Dunlop and Pirelli for instance. We re set the trip depending on the tyre type at the start of the day and then further adjust as they wear down during the day. Pirelli have a slightly smaller radius than dunlops if of interest.

It's also the section width - they can vary alot and then there's the actual width of the tread itself.

Years ago one of our demonststrations was to pile 5 155/80R13s Michelins on top of one another and then next to them pile up up 5 competitors of the same size. The Michelin pile was always taller than the competitor and it was a very visual way of showing how much rubber you were getting for your money.

Not sure if it's still the same now though as I have been way from car tyres for a long time :B

I second the Conti recommendation — the Premium Contacts I have on mine are great — on my second set.

I put the first 185 set on before the 2010 RBRR — we flogged the car properly the whole event even through all the torrential rain. Never had a single aquaplaning worry.