Vitesse/Herald remote brake servo install position

Nick Jones

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from 948coupe Downunder
With regard to the clutch you may find that much of the heaviness of the peddle comes from the heavy return spring adjacent to the slave cylinder maybe changing that out might just make things a little easier   maybe enough that a servo may not be needed

Only the early 948 Heralds have that spring and it won't affect the weight of the pedal anyway.

Mark

Quoted from Nick Jones
It is.  I like the colour too - what is it?

Nikc

It's called Yukon Grey. I think 1" might have been a bit of an exaggeration now that I think about it, more like 1/2" - it was a small enough move to make it both possible and annoying that it just didn't fit!

• 3 weeks later...

No, that's single circuit.

IIRC, some GT6s had dual circuit with a servo acting only on the front circuit.

On a recent track day, the brakes were actually quite excellent until we cooked the rears a bit, so I'm now pondering returning to M1144 pads on the front for maximum cold bite, but with vented discs for fade resistance.  The rears seem to be the biggest problem though would probably be ok with decent shoes (the ones I have at present are especially awful).  Maybe discs are the way to go.......

Meanwhile, I have this stray servo......

Nick

I guess you could on  a swing axle Vitesse, but mine is rotoflex.  

I think the standard brakes would be ok for my purposes if I could find some decent quality shoes. M1144 lined would be perfect but last time I investigated that route there was a hefty minimum order quantity and they were pretty expensive.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Quoted from Nick Jones
Yes, yes, I know they didn't have one as standard and they don't "need" one.  However, mine has always needed a very firm shove to stop it.  

After much tinkering over the years (every damn component rebuilt or renewed, various pads tried) it's been partially mitigated by a 5/8" M/C (some increase of pedal travel) and DS2500 pads, but still needs a hefty shove.  I'm bored with it (especially making the mental adjustment and recalibrating my right foot every time I swap cars) and the Management avoids driving it for this reason.

It's a reasonably fast car these days and the throttle has a very light action....... so the brake action doesn't compare well.

So, I had a rush of blood to the wallet (!) and bought a remote servo.  It's got 1:1.9 boost and I'll probably need to return to a 0.7" (or even 0.75") M/C to maintain a half decent pedal feel.  No worries there - but where the hell am I going to put the thing?  Getting it in at all is challenge enough, but getting it in tidily....... is it even possible?

Thoughts, pics?

TIA

Nick

Hows this installation going Nick, any progress or results?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just found a pic of one fitted to a Spitfire on NZ Trademe. I'm unable to copy and paste it to this site though.

Why have 'improvements' made things more difficult. Can't even seem able to upload a pic grrrr. Sorry for the rant but this sort of thing makes me a bit angry.

Tony.