Vitesse/Herald remote brake servo install position

Nick Jones

Yes, yes, I know they didn't have one as standard and they don't "need" one.  However, mine has always needed a very firm shove to stop it.  

After much tinkering over the years (every damn component rebuilt or renewed, various pads tried) it's been partially mitigated by a 5/8" M/C (some increase of pedal travel) and DS2500 pads, but still needs a hefty shove.  I'm bored with it (especially making the mental adjustment and recalibrating my right foot every time I swap cars) and the Management avoids driving it for this reason.

It's a reasonably fast car these days and the throttle has a very light action....... so the brake action doesn't compare well.

So, I had a rush of blood to the wallet (!) and bought a remote servo.  It's got 1:1.9 boost and I'll probably need to return to a 0.7" (or even 0.75") M/C to maintain a half decent pedal feel.  No worries there - but where the hell am I going to put the thing?  Getting it in at all is challenge enough, but getting it in tidily....... is it even possible?

Thoughts, pics?

TIA

Nick

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble with these fits all no clues kits is your left asking or devising

the more normal position is between heater and clutch master, the vac drum inboard the cylinder points over the clutch so it sits sideways not forwards.

Without knowing this I fitted mine by shortening the battery tray move it towards the n/s and add the support brkt between the heater and the moved battery tray
(can add a pic when back on laptop)

pete

Hmm, that's the tidiest seen so far......  Not sure I'm up for modifying the battery tray though, especially as I have quite a bit more than the usual wiring in that area, including an EDIS unit.

One of the variations of horizontal/transverse over the master cylinders is probably the only option that doesn't involve significant other mods though it'll mean making bracketry from scratch.  I've got to replace both M/Cs anyway so remote reservoir options might be worth exploring......

Nick

my guess its just far to big to go behind any dash.  

ones ive seen mounted transverse  Im sure  used the kit bracket

they are not the best servo around I had two the first would hang the brakes on no mater how you stripped and aligned and freed air valves it just held them like a modern on hill start, you want to pull up, it decided you were going to stop a few seconds of aggro,  the replacement was wildy more lively,  the old one sits in the shed awaiting whatever
and search prices these vary its not dedicated to  triumph look at all the classic suppliers for the exact same fits all or nothing kit
you can save yourself  a rip off.

Pete

Not sure if this will be any help or not, I fitted a Girling Powerstop servo to my Vitesse during its rebuild.

I think its a Model Mk2a, here's a couple of photo's of the Servo and brackets.

The servo was off a Mk2 Bond Equipe from a local Scrapyard in the early 80's, I had if fully rebuilt.

Its a slightly different size and shape to the Servo's offered now.

Hope it helps?

Gary

Been reading this thread with interest as I'd like to fit a servo to my Herald one day - not for the brakes but for the clutch, of course the only difference would be in the plumbing. Not that there's anything wrong with the clutch, but I have an ongoing problem with my left foot/ankle - fine when it's fine, but when it's bad (like now) I can't drive the car at all. I can still manage the modern which is pretty light on the clutch hence thinking that a servo would help. Best idea so far has been relocating the battery and mounting it over there, I'm a lazy mechanic and detest cars where you have to remove X to shift Y to even get a spanner onto Z (the Herald is pretty good for this in standard form) so mounting it over the master cylinders doesn't really appeal.

Thanks all.  A number of options, all possible, but none ideal.

I've ordered some more pipe, fittings and a bigger diameter master cylinder and will have a go at it when they get here.  Also need to get some more 2mm plate as the supplied bracket limits the choices a bit.

I'll take some pics when I do it.

Remote servo on the clutch is an interesting one.  Not sure how that would work out.  I'd suggest just plumbing it up as a test and trying it to make sure it gives an acceptable result before going to the trouble of mounting it.  Some of the bigger Jap stuff (Nissan Patrol for one) do have a servo on the clutch but not the remote type.

Nick

Quoted from Bitumen Boy
Been reading this thread with interest as I'd like to fit a servo to my Herald one day - not for the brakes but for the clutch, of course the only difference would be in the plumbing. Not that there's anything wrong with the clutch, but I have an ongoing problem with my left foot/ankle - fine when it's fine, but when it's bad (like now) I can't drive the car at all. I can still manage the modern which is pretty light on the clutch hence thinking that a servo would help. Best idea so far has been relocating the battery and mounting it over there, I'm a lazy mechanic and detest cars where you have to remove X to shift Y to even get a spanner onto Z (the Herald is pretty good for this in standard form) so mounting it over the master cylinders doesn't really appeal.

if you check out some episodes of car "sos" fuzz put one on a clutch for a disabled guy
me, i just bought an automatic getting old

I Once viewed a lovely Vitesse '6' Saloon finished in Conifer Green in Belper Derbyshire, must have been the late 80's

It was owned by an old lady and she was selling it because she was no longer able to drive it, this was a low mileage car and was fitted with a servo on the Clutch.

I used to see her tootling around Belper in it, hope its still around 'B' Reg I think it was.    

Quoted from Nick Jones

I have enough trouble with my great hooves getting all three pedals at once as it is......

Nick

I know what you mean, Nick. So far the only things I've driven with sensibly sized and spaced pedals have been buses and an old Landy, and yet I don't think my size 10s are anything out of the ordinary.

I've been having a look around online and what I want to do seems to be a fairly common mod on vehicles that have properly heavy clutches. Some don't like it, sometimes it doesn't work properly (quality of aftermarket components?) but the general feeling seems positive, and it's definitely something to go into in more detail when I have the time to do so.

Quoted from nang
Bitumen Boy. Out of left field, have a look at modern truck/bus clutch boosters. Much smaller than brake boosters.
Tony.

Tony, I'm no expert on this but I'd expect anything made for modern trucks or buses to be powered by air pressure rather than engine vacuum, but if I'm wrong there do let me know.

Quoted from RobPearce

I have a specific pair of shoes for driving Triumphs, with narrower soles than my normal daily footwear. And I'm only size 9.

Strange but true, I also have special footwear for driving the Herald - clogs. I noticed a long time ago that boots with stiffer soles were more comfortable for driving this car and had them made up. The wooden soles are noticeably narrower for the size than anything you can buy made of rubber/plastic. Uppers are ex German para boots so plenty of ankle support yet I still feel the need of a servo...