Fuel?

We have been lucky so far. The TR7 V8 is totally brimmed to top of filler spout and we have a jerry can with another 18L in the boot so should be ok to the first control point.

Sainburies at Biggelwade north seem to be getting regular deliveries and are about 20m north of Knebworth. Queues there move quickly if they have fuel so worth a try if you are running short.

8 hours ago, Dannyb said:

I went to Tesco at Langdon Hills. Basildon last night 11.00 They are open all through the night because they shut during the day so people can get into store. 

There was me and two other cars. They have E5. 

Danny

Thanks Danny, 

I managed to finally fill up today. I had to use two garages due to the £35 limit, but at least I can get to the start and at least Wetherby now. My co-driver managed to get fuel as well to get to the start as well, so we're looking good. 

Steve

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Radders said:

Thanks Danny, 

I managed to finally fill up today. I had to use two garages due to the £35 limit, but at least I can get to the start and at least Wetherby now. My co-driver managed to get fuel as well to get to the start as well, so we're looking good. 

Steve

Have a good trip. Hope the petrol situation works out for everyone. 

Danny

In hindsight, I do not think a single person had any issues, anywhere.

We slowed for a few garages, saw they were out of what we wanted, and carried on.

A few garages made a lot of money over the weekend, there was definite signs of profiteering, but we just ignored that. Not as if we will fill up,there again for a few years.

Edited by thescrapman
Added the missing "not"
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, thescrapman said:

In hindsight, I do think a single person had any issues, anywhere.

I heard that Howard donated the contents of his Jerry can to another team who were in need, but his TR8 was economical enough to have no trouble.

We filled up leaving Bude, even though we weren't low, because I wasn't sure where the next fuel would be. When we got the message about fuel just before Haynes, we still had enough to decide against filling up there. Shortly after leaving Haynes I worked out that we had enough left of the Bude fill to get us to Knebworth... and back home. In fact, the gauge is still reading about 1/4 but that must be optimistic because Google says it's 308 miles and a Mk3 Spitfire tank is under 9 gallons.

Edited by RobPearce

We had no fuel issues at all, in fact we were so impressed by the availability of E5 that we used one 20 litre Jerry can at JoG, not because we were short but because we wanted to drop the weight 🙂 We kept another 20 litre can full and never used it.

We only drove through one station disappointed and that was not because it had no fuel, we were too early and it wasn't open! That was in Penzance on the way to Lands End so we had breakfast and returned later for an E5 fill up.

We never had to compromise and used E5 all round, we also used lots of revs and made lots of noise 🙂 

Kudos to all those who made it round, commiserations to those who didn't - the planning for the next one has already started (traditionally it starts in the bar about 30 seconds after getting the roadbook signed for the last time!).

We are interested in all feedback about the event, good or bad but please, give us the facts. Suggestions are welcome too and we do consider them all, even ones from McJim 🙂 

1 hour ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Howard,

Fair play to you, on the eve of an event, you did not muck about, bought a V8, it was a bold move! Another Maroon TR7 owner bought an Acclaim...ying and yang eh!

Tim,

Please get your facts right. It was an Oporto Red TR7 not Maroon ! 😝

H