123 Electronic Ignition

john2502

Anyone got any personal experience of this? How easy is it to fit to a GT6.

My understanding that it's not quite a straight swap as you need to switch to an electric rev counter?

What other parts are needed? Have heard good things about it from a few mates (MGB owners, sorry!)

Seems to be the most recommended electronic ignition short of megajolt (not sure I wanna go that far just yet)

The reason mgb owners like the 123 dizzy is that they have one just for them, The normal electronic ignition dizzys you but accuspark ect the curves are wrong and give a miss fire at 65/70mph
123 do on specially for the mgb which solves that problem as the rest have to use a standard 123 and go for the best curve available
Still think its a good bit of kit
cheers Andy

Yeah i think one of them had mentioned it was a MGB specific one.

Having a look there seems to be one for mechanical tach cars! it's out of stock here at the moment (hence the very reasonable price) but i think i'll go for that one.

http://www.limora.com/en/zundanlage-131759.html

Cheers Paul, thing is, i like the idea of having the old original distributor as a spare in case i (or a subsequent owner) ever want to put it back to standard, want the car to be as usable as possible but also most of the mods reversible if required.

so question is, is there a way of getting a mechanical drive tach one off the shelf? (so to speak)

I assumed the one i posted the link to would work as there seems to be an electric (part no. 485464)  and mechanical tach (no, 488673) versions available.

Thanks Paul, that is most interesting.

I wonder if they do the programmable one like that. Suppose the only issue is that one would be using Lucas type caps and rotor arms.

I have a 'standard' 123 in my 2.5 saloon and whilst it is excellent (Really well made), the curves do not match the engine and I do suffer from pinking. Might well fit a programmable jobbie to the car one day and fit the 'std' one to the GT6?

Does the standard 16 list include a curve that's good for a standard GT6 running 95 octane fuel?

I'd rather stick with a fixed one if i'm honest rather than go all project on it just at the moment (got enough i wanna do to it for now and want it back on the road asap)

John

I do not think you will find a curve that is that close for a GT6 in the 16 curve standard unit.

You can work out what a GT6 curev should be and do a comparison as I suspect they do provide a list of what is available.

The programmable one will do what you want obviously.

Did you say they do a fully programmable one with a tacho drive??

Cheers

Not asked them directly about a mechanical drive tacho 16 curves version, i assumed this would do the job as it lists GT6 as an option

http://www.limora.com/en/zundanlage-131759.html

I seem to remember seeing threads a while ago where guys with GT6's had used the 123 system and it seems to be highly recommended for reliability/setup etc. I'd just prefer the plug and play version if so.

No Bruce nothing wrong with the current setup, just want to use the car a lot and all year round so electronic ignition as a preventative measure seemed the best option while i'm gunna do some work on the car anyway.

Let's face it, breaking down in winter isn't exactly barrel of laughs.

Am struggling to decide whether to go for the cheaper 16 curves version or go for the fully programmable one.

I guess if you really want it to run great then the programmable one is the way to go, but is it worth it for the gain? basically, is one of the 16 a pretty good match for a standard GT6 MK3?

Does anyone know what electronic rev counter would fit a GT6 MK3? SC Parts which stock the 123 systems quoted £140 for a rev counter! not even sure if that has the warning indicators on it (forgot to ask).

I agree the quality of the available points/condensors is very hit or miss. Seems quite some expence to go through though for peace of mind, as compared to alleviating a current problem?  :-/
You know my preference for the end set-up, but if what you have is working ok. I'd ring Canley and ask for some quality points/condensors. The money for the new 'whizz-bang' dizzy could easily be catered for with this winters culling of old the existing car battery, failure of solonoid, Alternator etc. if you're putting the car to regular use.
You could check the advance rate of the existing dizzy with a strobe light just to see if the springs are tired?
It would be good if someone could post some hands-on experiance of using the 123 dizzys in their Triumph- surely someone must have done it? :-/

I've not a 123 dizzy.  However, from reading lots of comments about the original 16 curve version, it doesn't seem to have a curve that suits the Triumph 6s particularly well.

I have plenty of experience with mappable 3D ignition, which is in effect what the 123-Tune is.  This is very worthwhile and will let you get the absolute best out of your engine and make allowance for modifications, modern fuel etc.  The extra would be money well spent IMO.

If your existing distributor is in fair condition then you could opt to fit an electronic ignition module into it.  Prices range from about £ 25 (Simon BBC, ebay) up to about £120 (Lumention) and most are easy to swap back to points in the event of failure.

Nick

Hi Bruce, no nothing wrong with the current dizzy/points/condenser etc just thinking ahead of the game as i should have some time over xmas/new year and electronic ignition is on my list for when i want to be using it a lot and through winter.

Cheers Nick. I think general consensus is along those lines in that i think it would be a struggle and hassle to get it running with one of the standard curves so just go for mappable and get that set right.

From what i can see, pros and cons of 123 on a GT6:

Pros: very reliable (seemingly more forgettable than the current electronic ones except megajolt as its a complete replacement of the mechanical parts of the dizzy)
         maintenance free
         good quality bosch cap+rotors readily available,

Cons: no electronic tach version unless you send it to 123 direct in holland for refurb,
         price (230 for 16 curve, 355 for programmable, not including new tach etc).

Is there an electric tach with the demister and indicator lights on as per the current one? Not overly keen on losing the original look of this.

John

I cannot comment on using 123 ignition on a GT6, but I have worked on a friend's Spitfire with a 16curve 123 dizzy. It was not easy to find a suitable curve. The car is running okay now, however I am sure that the curve is not perfect. No doubt, it is a great product, but the tuneable one seems like a much better approach to me.

My cars run aftermarket electronic ignitions on original dizzys. They have been very reliable so far. As the are cheap, I do always carry a spare set in the boot!    ;)

Christian

1344 wrote:
Tim,
  Speak to Radders,he has just fitted a programable one to gurtie
I believe.

Noooo, dont speak to me, speak to Scrapman. He fitted it and played on the laptop whilst I was driving. I dont understand it as well as he does.  :B

And I've told you before Dave.... it's GERTIE!!!!  ;D