A message to all RBRR entrants

And so it begins....

Well done all those who managed to get an entry in, there's still a couple left to grab and it's not yet 24 hours since we opened the event!

Firstly, thanks to Craig Gingell for his work on the web site, it's really coming good now. There are things we can learn and stuff we can improve on but we have come such a long way with his help. Kudos also to Clive Senior who's cat herding skills are well honed now 🙂

Right, to business!

We need to tidy up several entries - there are mistake, typos, wrong info and missing info that we need to fix. There are few rules broken tahn need to be fixed too

I've written to a few of the more 'messy' entries but this goes for everyone in case things change and you need to update your entry.

Team Names
Unless you want to be called "TBC" then just leave it blank, anything in that box will be what you are called forever, if you prefer no name, just delete the contents of that box.

Car Details
Car Make should be for example - Triumph, Standard, LoCost. NOT Vitesse 
Car Model should be for example - Spitfire, 2000, Vitesse, etc. If you want to put the Mark in, here's where - so 2000 Mk1 or Stage Mk2 would be fine
Year - 1966 rather than 66 please

Crew Details
For crew - you must have a minimum of 2 entrants, strictly speaking an entry with only one is invalid. Had we been able to, we would have refused to accept single crew entries but the software proved too inflexible to do so. However, the rules of the RBRR are clear, a valid entry is two people - at £100 each = £200 paid.
Realistically, I am not going to kick anyone out just yet BUT yoy will need to add in your missing crew ASAP. Crew details can be amended for many months so even if your co-driver is unsure, get their name down and work on them for committment later!

Here's how to update stuff - for all these, make sure you are signed into the CT website (your name will appear in the top right of the page if you are)

To add a co-driver (only if you already have a principle entry)
Got to https://www.clubtriumph.co.uk/store/category/17-round-britain-reliability-run-2023/ 
Select "RBRR 2023 Crew Member One" and complete the detaisl
Add this to your basket once complete.
Check out of the shop by paying. Your crew member will now appear on your entry.

To update an existing entry
Go to https://www.clubtriumph.co.uk/clients/purchases/ 
That link will take you to a list of entries you have purchased, select the one you want to update - e.g for car details, choose Main Entrant and click "Manage"
Scroll through and amend/add what you need to
Click "save" when done, NB you will stay on this page but now, your entry will show the updated info.

As ever, any problem please do shout now but don't forget, this is self serve, I can tell you how to do it but I can't do it for you. That does mean I will nag you, a lot! 🙂

Right, now to make a list of what needs doing to the Vitesse to make it RBRR worthy!

J

• Like 3

I've been pilloried before for saying this, so please hear me out!    The RBRR is potentially dangerous, and grossly out with any commercial driving regulations.   Reports of extreme tiredness are usual, and there was one of a participant driving home afterwards, who felt tired and drove into a service area to get a coffee.  But fell asleep before they could get out of their car!

Some have seen my previous posts on this as anti-RBRR.  Far from it!    I want this wonderful event to continue, and fear that just one incident that the Authorities decide is due to fatigue could lead to it being banned forever.   Please, when you take part, arrange to have a sleep before you drive home?  Just a couple of hours would restore you!

John

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnD said:

I've been pilloried before for saying this, so please hear me out!    The RBRR is potentially dangerous, and grossly out with any commercial driving regulations.   Reports of extreme tiredness are usual, and there was one of a participant driving home afterwards, who felt tired and drove into a service area to get a coffee.  But fell asleep before they could get out of their car!

Some have seen my previous posts on this as anti-RBRR.  Far from it!    I want this wonderful event to continue, and fear that just one incident that the Authorities decide is due to fatigue could lead to it being banned forever.   Please, when you take part, arrange to have a sleep before you drive home?  Just a couple of hours would restore you!

John

Are we really going start this all up again! 
John, I was the one you are using as your example. I did indeed fall asleep in the services without getting out of my car. I did not stop for coffee! I stopped to sleep in my car. Please stop talking rubbish and put this to bed once and for all. I’m a hgv driver, I know when I’m too tired to drive and am quite capable of parking my car/lorry and having a sleep. This is the responsible thing to do!

• Like 3

Gosh, Alex, take a deep breath, count to ten!    I said, I want the RBRR to continue for ever.   

As a HGV professional you must know that the event goes way, way beyond the legal limits for you and your colleagues at work.   It would take just one incident to get it banned.    Please, everyone, be careful out there!

John

Intemperate, OTT response to genuine concern from a retired medical professional who spent alot of time in his career dealing with the aftermath of RTAs.  He also has done at least one RBRR.

I realise it's not a popular view among the die-hards, but this event is special and does push the boundaries - which is of course why you like it.  It is also why (as you say) the event organisers repeatedly stress the importance of swapping drivers regularly, getting enough rest etc, both in the written notes and in the drivers briefings.  All John was asking was to make sure you are sufficiently rested before driving home after completing the event.  This may be obvious enough to those who have done this many times before, but there are first-timers here too.

2 hours ago, McJim said:

your opinion as fact that one incident will see the event being banned

You scoff.... but sadly in todays world, it could happen.  This event takes place on public highways, not the racetrack, which is a fairly important distinction.  An incident could well involve people outside the event.  It would only take the incident to be spectacular/newsworthy or a "victim" or family member to kick-up, get the "media" involved, for things to get ugly even, I suggest, if the other party actually caused the accident, 'cause why let the truth get in the way of a good story is the modern way.

So advice and warnings to help prevent this should be welcomed, not flamed as scaremongering.

For the record, I am a CT member for many years now.  Among many other long distance events I have done the RBRR, in a convertible, in poor weather.  The first 2/3rds were fantastic.  The final 1/3, not so much, as I've never mastered the art of napping in a moving car, or even a stationary one and I was shattered by Lands End.  This taught me that I can do one night on the road, but I can't do two in succession.  I found and exceeded my limit.  Driving another 2.5 hours home afterwards was unimaginable - but on the strength of very sound advice we had booked to stay near the finish.

RBRRVitesse064s.jpg.0708d7054ac9542c7c2ad12c33f9fc62.jpg

Looks more or less human - actually about 85% zombie at this point.... (Sennan)

However, I do also recognise that some of you lucky people can sleep on the move or stop for a quick power-nap and maintain enough "charge" to keep going in reasonable condition (enviable skill). Having done one, I understand why you do it and I appreciate the fundraising aspect.  So I'm happy to help the event by marshalling, preferably late on, so when I see you all looking a bit jaded, it reminds me why I'm marshalling, not out with you. I have also been known to sweep up the mechanically struggling on my way home from marshalling, but flame me like you flamed John and you can wait for the AA.

Edited by Nick Jones
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, McJim said:

This guy comes on every two years and belittles the work of the organising team and the importance that they give to not driving while tired.

That's a bit of stretch Jim, I gather you don't like John but he's not belittling anyone. Accidents do happen on the RBRR as you'll know. We've all got a responsibility to the event, the club, and the organisers, to minimise the risk as far as possible.

That said, I reckon John enjoys the biennial over-reaction he gets from offering his innocuous advice. 

• Like 1

Thank you, Pete and Nick!  No thank you, McJim.

I've done the RBRR twice and the 10CR, but my own TRiumph is no longer a road car, has only one seat and no space in the back to carry anything, let alone a sleeping crew member.  It has not been (re)built for endurance events, so I don't do them in it.       If anyone wants a co-driver?

Just to repeat myself -  My respect for the event, for the organisers and and the participants is immense.   My concern is purely that the RBRR should continue for ever! 

Clearly from the parallel thread here - Hotels - Round Britain Reliability Run (RBRR) - Club Triumph Ltd  many do not need my advice, but one incident could stop the RBRR for ever.

John

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

<sigh>

This argument is not helpful.

McJim - calm down.  I realise that may not be easy for a Glaswegian, but overreacting to JohnD creates only noise and fury, no enlightenment.

John- next time,  try rewording the plea so as to be harder for Jim to misread. 

P.S. I'm posting this from Glasgow.  Nice city. 

• Like 1

Hi Rob. 

Bit of an insult calling me a Glaswegian. 

Never lived in the city but come from a village to the north. 

Glad you found a nice bit of Glasgow. 

Personally, I rarely go into the city, preferring the quiet countryside, where I live. 

Enjoy your time in Glasgow. 

Jim.

Hi all,

Whilst I understand Jim's reaction and why John have stated his worry about over tiredness on the RBRR. And whilst I hope by stating this that we now don't have a tiredness incident, it is important to note that we have never encountered an issue with an accident due to tiredness on the RBRR. 

However, it is important that all entered crews take a nap when they can.

The MSA, Huntington's and indeed CT have no issue with the format of this event, so let's crack on with the positivity!

So, can I ask that we go back to showing the cars that are entered and go back to being kind to each other and drop this subject.

123 cars entered for this RBRR, still 100 to be shown!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Hi all,

Whilst I understand Jim's reaction and why John have stated his worry about over tiredness on the RBRR. And whilst I hope by stating this that we now don't have a tiredness incident, it is important to note that we have never encountered an issue with an accident due to tiredness on the RBRR. 

However, it is important that all entered crews take a nap when they can.

The MSA, Huntington's and indeed CT have no issue with the format of this event, so let's crack on with the positivity!

So, can I ask that we go back to showing the cars that are entered and go back to being kind to each other and drop this subject.

123 cars entered for this RBRR, still 100 to be shown!!!

+1

• Like 2

So back to an optimistic note.

Can we the organisers thank all that have entered this RBRR, it is very much appreciated by the Club Triumph team that our members continue to support and show so much good will towards an event that costs so much in time, commitment and sadly, money. 

All of us at CT cannot wait to be at Knebworth and see you all parked on the concourse ready to go for a weekend of what we hope will be good driving and adventure.

It would be remiss of me not to thank all those CT members and indeed those from other Triumph Clubs who have offered to help with Marshalling either at the start or at the various controls dotted around the British isles. So far I have received offers of help from the TSSC, TR Reg, 2000/2500 Reg and Dolomite Club. How fantastic is that, heartwarming unity within the UK Triumph movement.

Thanks all,

Tim

• Like 8

23 hours ago, McJim said:

What utter rubbish!

How many people have been killed at circuit racing over the years but the circuits remain open and racing continues.

I don't often agree with Piers Morgan but when he correctly says "You have the right to your opinion but what you don't have is the right to make up facts".

So that's what you just did to justify your opinion.

Why do you come on here every two years with your unwanted opinions and views, bad mouthing the Club's premier event?

You're not a Club member.

You have no desire to ever take part in the RBRR.

And yet, here you are again spouting your opinion as fact that one incident will see the event being banned.

Total fantasy.

A bit of advice, not that you'll take it.  Keep your opinions to yourself.

They're not wanted.  Nobody takes any notice of them.

If it bothers you that much, stand at the exit to Knebworth with a placard stating "Repent Sinners".

Nobody will take any notice of that either.

The organisers go to great lengths to remind entrants not to drive when tired but you, as a non-participating, non-member, feel the need to be the prophet of doom.

Two words.

Go away.

Jim.

Well said 👍 members event only 👏

In case you're wondering why this thread seems a little disjointed, it's because I have deleted some of my posts. 

Not because I don't stand by what I said but out of respect for the two Tim's (Please, no religious analogies to be taken by those who would understand that last bit). 

I don't want to draw anyone else into a bunfight of the vanities. 

We're here to support the RBRR and nothing else. 

'Nuff said. 

Jim.

Edited by McJim

53 minutes ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Well said 👍 members event only 👏

Not actually true, only the lead entrant has to be a member, other crew members don't. My Co-Driver has done every RBRR since 2014 with me but is not a CT member, but is a member of 2 other Triumph Clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cook1e said:

Not actually true, only the lead entrant has to be a member, other crew members don't. My Co-Driver has done every RBRR since 2014 with me but is not a CT member, but is a member of 2 other Triumph Clubs.

I know Andy, I meant the lead entrant  had to be a member 😊👍

Edited by Wendy Dawes

5 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

So back to an optimistic note.

Can we the organisers thank all that have entered this RBRR, it is very much appreciated by the Club Triumph team that our members continue to support and show so much good will towards an event that costs so much in time, commitment and sadly, money. 

All of us at CT cannot wait to be at Knebworth and see you all parked on the concourse ready to go for a weekend of what we hope will be good driving and adventure.

It would be remiss of me not to thank all those CT members and indeed those from other Triumph Clubs who have offered to help with Marshalling either at the start or at the various controls dotted around the British isles. So far I have received offers of help from the TSSC, TR Reg, 2000/2500 Reg and Dolomite Club. How fantastic is that, heartwarming unity within the UK Triumph movement.

Thanks all,

Tim

I am happy to help again at the start  if needed.

cheers

mike

Blimey, that was a rough ride but meanwhile, back at the crux of this post.

THANK YOU to all those one person crews who have added their second crewman as requested.

To those few who haven't, PLEASE don't make work for me in chasing you, if the second person isn't added your enrty will remain invalid and I'll have to cancel it, refund you and offer the place to the next person in the reserve list - messy!

I'm about to issue pointy reminders now.

• Like 1