Found inside gearbox WTF?

Saltddirk

hi,
Yesterday we removed the GB on the Spit in view of a rebuild,
When draining the oil into the drainpan we noticed this "needle"
I can not say for sure it came out of the gearbox, it might have been on the pan before we started without getting noticed, but chances are slim, I had cleaned the pan with a pressure washer last month and it has not been used since.

So what is it? where did it come from? I can not find any ref on the technical drawings

there are 2 grooves machined into it, terminating in a fork one end and then 2 more, 90 deg out terminating in a fork at the other end

at about the middle there seems to be a mechanical impact area, with some markings on the sides and a slightly brighter surface indicating contact, wear?

deffo not a reamer it has no cutting edges.

from the dimensions you give and it's construction it is surely too fragile to be in a gearbox or o/d unit.

you sure it isn't from the pressure washer?

they do tend to 'pulse' when operating,it could be a shuttle from the nozzle.

It's a sliding joint from a propshaft.  This style sometimes used instead of splines as they don't lock under high torque loads.  Also used on some driveshafts.

It's a good call - does suggest that the mystery part of the centre of a linear bearing assembly.  Still not part of gearbox/OD

Nick

Quoted from nicmk1est
but he says its 5mm by 28mm,,,unless he`s got MM mixed up with CM

Well, yes, it's clearly not a propshaft sliding spline, but I don't think Marcus ever suggested it was (and Nick was referring to Marcus's picture, not the mystery object). The propshaft image was a "this is the sort of reason one might machine a part that way". The mystery item looks like it's intended to transmit rotational torque but allow some longitudinal movement (or possibly even a tiny bit of angle). That's why it reminds some people of SDS drill fittings.
Still can't think what it's likely to be from.

Quoted from RobPearce

Well, yes, it's clearly not a propshaft sliding spline, but I don't think Marcus ever suggested it was (and Nick was referring to Marcus's picture, not the mystery object). The propshaft image was a "this is the sort of reason one might machine a part that way". The mystery item looks like it's intended to transmit rotational torque but allow some longitudinal movement (or possibly even a tiny bit of angle). That's why it reminds some people of SDS drill fittings.
Still can't think what it's likely to be from.

Exactly.....

It's winding me up now.  Want to know what it is.  Character defect apparently!

Nick

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
I've asked around at work and no-one knows. It's a very specifically made part, so whatever it's from doesn't work anymore.

Unless when the gearbox was built it was knocking around and someone said 'Hey, lets chuck this in for a laugh. It'll screw them over when it next gets rebuilt.'

Have been traveling so not really paying attention to the forum,
I have been leaning towards the same conclusion Jonny.
the other possibly explanation I have is that the drain tray is normally kept close to our "Bobcat" which is used to muck the stables (not my workshop mind you, although it might be the proper tool for the job at times )
When I was away last month the thing would not start and the missus had to call in a service engineer to look at it. it might have fallen out of his toolbox.

Still since the box was originally bought from Canleys perhaps Dave can shed a light, or if he wants his mistery part back I can post it to him. It is only about one inch long