Dipped in green glass

Nick Moore

That's what it looks like, anyway.

My GT6 has been at the paint shop for the last four months, and finally some of the panels have been painted. When I stripped off all the paint, I found previously repaired dents in every panel. The poor car had had a hard life, apparently, and many dents had been repaired by drilling holes for a dent puller, roughly pulling the dents out and then smoothing the landscape with filler. Both doors looked like they'd been shot, and the nose cone was a piece of sculpture!

Since September Joe the painter has worked on each panel in turn, pulling out the remaining dents with an electric welding puller, and welding up all the 'bullet' holes. He's also cut and wire-rolled some bonnet vents - apologies to the purists, but I want to be able to drive this car in the tropics.

My brother had a few hours to kill in Mackay this week, and so went to the shop to see (a) what a GT6 looks like and (b) what mine looks like. The photos are from his phone, but even so I'm impressed. The colour is Mallard, which looks green here but is actually a bluey-green. I'm delighted with the apparent finish off the gun. It's 2-pack and is so shiny that it looks as though the car's been dipped in liquid glass.

Joe hasn't done much to the body tub yet. It needs two new floorpans welded in, a RHD dashboard frame fitted and new pedal mount and battery box panels welded into the bulkhead. I'll have to fly up sometime and make sure he gets it right - he's brilliant but hasn't ever worked on a Triumph before!

It's a big change from the sun-scorched, dented and rusty wreck I bought two years ago.

Yip, looooking good Nick,
from those shots, it looks like My Colour,  it has a bluey hue to it in certain light.

Ohhh those Vents    L K familiar,  

Be quite a unique car when its done I think, with the other Mods you done,
All for the better I  think,

rgds Marcus

Nick,
That does look nice! I can't wait to see the whole car.
                                                                    Cheers,
                                                                    Paul

A credit to the guy that has prepared the metal/bodywork finish.
A good example of the correct methods and 'shed-loads' of patience. Green has never been a colour that apealed to me but I have to admit, your green does look great.
Be interesting to know what paints/number of coats he put on the bare metal up to finish coat? as the finish looks a nice deep colour.
Cheers

Ha ha! It took about three weeks with stripper wheels to get it back to bare metal. Fortunately I got it done before the wet season, so the steel didn't even start to turn orange. But no, it'll get properly welded up and painted.

The right rear wing alone had one small dent (it didn't pull out with a bath plunger dammit), a hole just above the flare where it got skewered by a forklift (verymad) and several small 'bullet' holes just behind the door shut where a 19th century dent puller had been used. Battle scars indeed. The left wing was much the same, thankfully minus the forklift hole. Even the roof had ripples, probably from someone standing on it. The tailgate was the only undented panel, probably because it rusted first. Despite all that the door shuts were even and tight!

Like a few ladies her age, she looks better with her clothes on.

PS I do like those Libre wheels. If I come across a set I may have to find a Triumph to put them on!

• 2 weeks later...

Mallard is Triumph colour 106, offered from late 1972. My GT's an early 1972 car so Mallard wouldn't have been available when she hit the road. I think the Green option in early '72 was Emerald. I don't think many Mallard GTs were made, but I don't care, it still looks good.

I'm flying up to take a look at her tomorrow, unless Queensland's next cyclone gets there first...